VOGONS

Reply 20 of 22, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-03-22, 23:48:

Another possibility for you needing more voltage is supply noise. Your caps may be due to be changed

Doubt this is the case but I swear I’ve had bios updates solve unstable stock clocks. My 3+ couldn’t go past like 350mhz until I updated the bios on my freeway mobo Or my p5a forget which.

The same board (Tyan S1590) runs a K6-3+ 400 1.6V at 550MHz on 1.8V with no issue - but that is still less power draw.
The BIOS is a hacked update of the final version to support the "+". Over the years I've used that and the last 2 official versions with the non+ chip, no difference in how they acted at 2.2V. More recently I've measured the Vcore and it's accurate.
At least some of the caps have been changed. The large cap near the CPU was changed I think like 10 years ago, but I skipped the others I think because they were Sanyos. A few years ago I was changing the keyboard connector and might have replaced more of the caps but I don't remember, and not sure if the K6-3 ever got put back after that (it was during the time I was last fiddling with CPUs on that board).

It's certainly possible the board gets noisy when asked to deliver more power for the original K6-3, though if that were the case then bumping up the voltage (and thus the power draw) should have made the ripple even worse. I'm not sure how a CPU reacts when given more voltage but with more ripple to go with it.

I have an FIC VA-503+ that I've never tried using, if I ever get inspired to mess with that board I'll probably try the K6-3 on it and see if it does any better.

Reply 21 of 22, by duboisea

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you so much for your advice everyone! I just got my MMX 233 today and added it. I get ~15 more FPS out of Quake which is pretty fantastic!

I am pretty intimidated at the idea of modifying the motherboard. I have never done any soldering before. I am going to do some research and see what I am capable of.

Reply 22 of 22, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
duboisea wrote on 2022-03-25, 03:18:

Thank you so much for your advice everyone! I just got my MMX 233 today and added it. I get ~15 more FPS out of Quake which is pretty fantastic!

I am pretty intimidated at the idea of modifying the motherboard. I have never done any soldering before. I am going to do some research and see what I am capable of.

Depending on where you are located, I may be able to help. Pm me,

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)