VOGONS

First post, by idan182

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all
I have this socket 7 motherboard made by "Totem" with 430TX chip.
I use it with Pentium 233MMX + 64mb ram, S3 virge, ESS Sound card.
I use CF card: MS DOS 6.22, WIN 3.11, WIN98
WIN98 uses the CF card BUT games are installed on a FAT32 Mechanical Hard disk.

It's working fine in DOS and WIN3.11 and stable.
But WIN98 always crash, blue screens like VXD and restarts all of a sudden.

I have tried to replace different ram stick, different VGA card, removed the sound, and still issues.
I'm not sure whether if it's my cf card, if it's my mechanical hard disk, or the motherboard itself.

By the look of it, I can see that one of the capacitors was replaced (blue one) how can I check if it meets the spects?, broken socket mounts, and maybe missing capacitor?
How can I check if the board if faulty?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 46, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From your other thread it became obvious that the CPU heatsink couldn't be installed properly.
The symptoms you were having are often related to an overheating CPU.
Given the age if the hardware it could be capacitors as well but as ling as the heatsink can't be mounted properly my money is on thermal issues.

Reply 2 of 46, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi, could you please take a good picture of your motherboard without anything hiding it from the camera (expansion cards, cables, etc) ?

I'd like to add the picture to the ultimateretro page https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/motherboards/5042

Also a BIOS dump could be interesting if yours is different from the one we have online 😀 (use uniflash to dump it)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 3 of 46, by LeFlash

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The cap left to the blue one is already bulging.
Whether there is a missing cap can be checked from below, traces of previous soldering jobs.
I'd recap the whole board and maybe change the socket - or get a screw-on-cooler.

Reply 4 of 46, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Often times helping deksor update UltimateRetro for your board will pay back dividends

I highly suggest you try to dump the bios and take good pics. While the Ultimate retro team updates the entry for your board they often come up with manuals, settings, more bios versions, and all sorts of useful stuff that you and others can use now and later.

Once it’s updated you can make a thread linking to it and look for more owners. Eventually when you find another owner they can help you with your capacitor values.

Also, sometimes we can guess the value based on good high res shots and seeing what they connect to. Often times more than one cap is in parallel together and of the same value

I have some experience replacing sockets, and while I could probably do it, I don’t feel it’s likely to be worth it (it’s not easy), you could use a sink that just clips onto the cpu.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 5 of 46, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Btw, you say that’s a 430tx,

Your max system specs are (if you are curious)
-256mb sdram
-K6-3+450mhz (500 if you can find a undocumented 83.3mhz fsb setting)
-A radeon 7500 would probably work very well as a gpu in that board. Geforce 2 mx400, and voodoo 5 are other good options. The 7500 is easier to find and may be less issue prone.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 6 of 46, by idan182

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-03-21, 10:54:
Btw, you say that’s a 430tx, […]
Show full quote

-256mb sdram
-A radeon 7500 would probably work very well as a gpu in that board. Geforce 2 mx400, and voodoo 5 are other good options. The 7500 is easier to find and may be less issue prone.

I don't have AGP, it's PCI+ISA
I currently use Diamond 2000 2mb, because my voodoo rush is not compatibility with some games and crash.
I'm thinking of buying either voodoo 1 or voodo 2. can it run sims 1 without any expensions?
Because today it runs but very laggy even on low settings.

Reply 7 of 46, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
idan182 wrote on 2022-03-21, 11:09:
I don't have AGP, it's PCI+ISA I currently use Diamond 2000 2mb, because my voodoo rush is not compatibility with some games and […]
Show full quote
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-03-21, 10:54:
Btw, you say that’s a 430tx, […]
Show full quote

-256mb sdram

I don't have AGP, it's PCI+ISA
I currently use Diamond 2000 2mb, because my voodoo rush is not compatibility with some games and crash.
I'm thinking of buying either voodoo 1 or voodo 2. can it run sims 1 without any expensions?
Because today it runs but very laggy even on low settings.

I know, I mentioned pci cards 😀

I got halo running on a 3+ At 600 so simms will probably work especially with suggested upgrades..🤔

Here are the The Sims System Requirements (Minimum)
CPU: Pentium MMX or equivalent.
CPU SPEED: 233 MHz.
RAM: 32 MB.
VIDEO CARD: 2MB PCI or AGP DirectX 7 compatible video card.
TOTAL VIDEO RAM: 2 MB.
DIRECTX VERSION: 7.0 (Included)
SOUND CARD: Yes.

It’s been a long time since I palyed simms 1

But those minimum specs are surprisingly low.
If it will run on that it should fly on a 3+ and radeon 7500

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 8 of 46, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If time isn't an issue, I could look for mine. I have a TM-586TX4 as well, never recapped, all original caps intact.

EDIT - here are some photos for the database.

As for the caps near the CPU, they all have 1500uF 6.3v printed on them.

Attachments

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 9 of 46, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PcBytes wrote on 2022-03-21, 12:17:

If time isn't an issue, I could look for mine. I have a TM-586TX4 as well, never recapped, all original caps intact.

Thanks pcbytes! You rock!

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 10 of 46, by idan182

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PcBytes wrote on 2022-03-21, 12:17:

Thanks for the picture !
Mine is VER 2.2 and yours is 2.1

My award bios has a different sticker:

file.php?id=128358&mode=view

so I can see where I thought is the missing capacitor, actually not missing.
and just 1 of my capacitors was replaced to blue color one, I will check the UF tonight.

Reply 11 of 46, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks pcbytes !

The pictures are ok, but they are a bit blurry. This is more cherry picking than a real requirement, but I'd prefer clearer pictures (I've had this problem when my phone's camera had some finger oil on it. Rubbing it with a cloth was enough to get rid of the blurryness).

If you can't or don't care this is fine, the pictures you've posted will be uploaded 😀

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 12 of 46, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I will be away from the board for quite a long time, so those photos are the best I could do.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 13 of 46, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No problem then, they'll be added tonight unless someone else adds them before I do

Reply 14 of 46, by idan182

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi again
I replaced the bad capacitors today

20220322_165329.jpg
Filename
20220322_165329.jpg
File size
1009.4 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
20220322_181735.jpg
Filename
20220322_181735.jpg
File size
1.34 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

It worked good for 1 hour! then I turned the computer off.
Then it no longer post. Whatever is connected to "Master" won't reconize and you see this:

20220322_204408.jpg
Filename
20220322_204408.jpg
File size
1.93 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

If I disconnect the "Master" either CF or HD, it posts but
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

I tried with different CPU and the same
is it just a bad board?

Reply 15 of 46, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wouldn't throw the towel on this board yet, there might be something else wrong (maybe the board is fine and it's another component failing). Looking at the weird artifact on the monitor, maybe the RAM is bad, or the video card.
The IDE cable could be bad as well.

Reply 16 of 46, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have had endless issues with cf cards on mobos like these. But you say a normal hdd is giving issues also…🤔

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 17 of 46, by idan182

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just realized that it reconize 266MHZ instead of 233!!
My CPU is 233MHZ

Even if I connect my other CPU 133MHZ it recognize 110!!
Something has got wrong with the voltage, maybe the caps I replaced?
It's weird because it's the same specs and by eye it looks ok!

Reply 18 of 46, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

And I just realised your Vcore is set to 3.38V in all pics.
If you're using a Pentium MMX and running it at that voltage this heatsink won't do. Please move the yellow jumper next to the CPU socket to the 2.8V position and see if your problems persist.
Edit: The silkscreen suggests you also need to remove the jumper from J8 and put it on J15 if you're running a Pentium MMX (probably true for all split voltage CPUs).

Also regarding the frequencies: If those readings are true your jumpers are likely configured for 1.5x multi with Pentium non-MMX and 3.5x with Pentium MMX (same jumper setting) while your FSB is set to ~75MHz.
Edit: Confirmed from first picture.

Reply 19 of 46, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wait, did you change the jumpers when you changed the CPU ?

It's not automatic like on all boards since socket 370/socket A : on socket 7 you MUST change the jumpers according to the CPU's specs. Jumpers are often described on the board itself, and they are described in the manual.

If you don't change them, it can cause all sorts of issues (overclocking, under locking, overvolting, undervolting) which can definitely cause instability and in worst cases fry your CPU.