VOGONS

Reply 20 of 34, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-03-24, 00:51:

The BIOS chip is soldered and it's not worth the effort to remove and reattach it, with or without a socket.

Lol you do it through software haha (on the computer that has the card installed)

I think gpu-z can dump the bios and nbitor may be able to read the timings

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 22 of 34, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well the general principle is, if something works great at low clock or with less powerful part installed, but doesn't at high clock or with high powered part, then it's the power circuitry that's weak and prime suspect should be capacitors before anything else in it.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 23 of 34, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-03-23, 21:25:

Bad caps are usually a little more obvious. Now I know that bad caps can be more subtle.

+1

It's not really related to this topic (-> DC smoothing caps), but capacitors really can be subtle as you say.
Because, one bad cap may still seem fine for DC applications, but then suddenly fails for high frequency (HF) or AC applications.
For example, when they're damaged, they will short (break down) when reaching a certain voltage level (as often used by HF).
Paper condensers of the past were notorious for such things.
Some say, these were defective by design, even. 😁
That's good to know when working with oscillators. 😉

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 24 of 34, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-03-23, 21:25:

Bad caps are usually a little more obvious. Now I know that bad caps can be more subtle.

Not based on my experience.
In fact, more often than not, (this is especially true for retro hardware), bad caps can look as good as new, even if they are dead or almost dead.
And worst of all, these guys are silent killers, they can permanently damage other parts of the circuit.

Se my post here, where I test two caps that look as good as new, but one of them is dead.

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 25 of 34, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Where I had to downclock the memory to 290 Mhz before, it's now stable overclocked to 400 Mhz. That's quite an improvement.

This card seems to benefit the most from additional memory bandwidth. Increasing the core clock doesn't do much at all.

Reply 26 of 34, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-03-24, 17:18:

Where I had to downclock the memory to 290 Mhz before, it's now stable overclocked to 400 Mhz. That's quite an improvement.

This card seems to benefit the most from additional memory bandwidth. Increasing the core clock doesn't do much at all.

Add more caps in parallel on the back, see if it goes further

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 28 of 34, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1000 1uF capacitors in parallel for zero ohms ESR 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 29 of 34, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Should further stabilize Ripple. 🤔

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 32 of 34, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those cheapy component testers give a guesstimate... if you've got one that doesn't with the AVR chip in it, you can maybe get an updated firmware for it.

Taking a wild guess on the capacitance values, probably the 940 was okay... meaning still has a year or two in it, the 860 and 840 would have been marginal, and of course the 540 woulda been horrible. Though you can find caps still reading good capacitance, and not so good ESR.

Reply 33 of 34, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ESR is most important capacitor characteristics of all.
Back in the day, I purchased the ESR meter in 2004 or so and was in tv repair shop, tv tech follow was not sure where to start on a toshiba tv. I spotted many ESR poor capacitors this way with this ESR meter tool and fixed that TV, This tool was real money maker from on now.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.