VOGONS

First post, by techgeek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just received my PS/2 model 80 from eBay. It is in pretty good condition considering its age. Everything seems to be working fine, except that I can't install an OS on it. The floppy drive works. I was able to run the Reference Disk and to configure the adapters. After the configuration is done, it asks me to pres enter to restart the computer and if after the restart I put in it a DOS boot floppy (a verified working one) it does nothing. What should I do to install DOS on it? It has two 160MB SCSI drives which are recognized and everything seems to be OK. It just doesn't want to boot to MS-DOS 6.22. Is it possible that it expects an IBM DOS disk?

Reply 1 of 5, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

*takes a long slow drag from a cigarette*

Welcome to the world of PS/2!

There should be nothing to stop you from booting dos or even win95 (don't it would be damn slow).

It sounds like that onboard battery is toast and isnt keeping settings. start there. It should be a large 2-cell chunk in the bottom right of the case, attached to the speaker.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2 of 5, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, the battery needs to be replaced on these. I know as I had PS/2 collection, now down to model 70.

DL223 or CR-P2

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 3 of 5, by techgeek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the response. That might be the issue - the battery shows only 4.8V (it has to be 6V). I guess this prevents it from retaining the CMOS content. I already ordered CR123a batteries to replace the dead cells inside the CR-P2 module. Does anyone know if I can mix the memory modules? What it currently has is 2MB in slot 1. I found a cheap 1MB module. Can it be plugged in slot 2, or does it require matched memory modules?