VOGONS

PSU for horizontal case

Topic actions

First post, by OldTV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello.
Today I bought myself this wonderful case for mere pennies. I want to transfer my socket 478 PC to it.

20220328_111652.jpg
Filename
20220328_111652.jpg
File size
1.11 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Since I had never dealt with such cases before, a couple of questions arose.

Firstly, I did not understand what PSU format is suitable here. Googling, I realized that it is the most similar to TFX, but I'm confused by its height. The specification specifies dimensions of 175 x 85 x 65 millimeters. 175 and 65 fit into my case, but 85 - it seems to me that the mounting holes in the case will not match, because 85 millimeters in height is not enough.
For clarity, I took a couple of photos with a ruler.

20220328_111932.jpg
Filename
20220328_111932.jpg
File size
1.58 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
20220328_111817.jpg
Filename
20220328_111817.jpg
File size
1.2 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

But, since I had no business with such PSUs and cases, I ask you for advice - does I really need a TFX PSU here, or is there another format that is similar, but a little higher in height?

The second question is - which motherboard stands fit into such holes in the bottom of the case?

20220328_112044.jpg
Filename
20220328_112044.jpg
File size
1.05 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Thank you for your attention and have a nice day!

Reply 1 of 21, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

looks like it's made for 2U server style PSUs

might as well improvise and use a TFX though and leave a gap, as those are easier and cheaper to get.

motherboard standoffs are probably these: https://www.overclock.net/threads/weird-mount … -holes.1209040/

Reply 2 of 21, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote on 2022-03-28, 09:38:

might as well improvise and use a TFX though and leave a gap, as those are easier and cheaper to get.

motherboard standoffs are probably these: https://www.overclock.net/threads/weird-mount … -holes.1209040/

I really dislike these standoffs. Once I had an otherwise pretty beige tower case (it contained some 440LX slot 1 board iirc) and because these seemed harder to replace (it was missing some of the standoffs) and not as solid quality as the standard brass standoffs, I ended up trashing that tower case (and tbh I also just wanted to make some more space).

I'm not even sure all of this type of standoffs are of the same height btw.

It is really unfortunate, the OPs case looks really kinda nice otherwise.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 21, by OldTV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
imi wrote on 2022-03-28, 09:38:

Thanks for the answer!
I looked for information on server 2U PSUs and they really seemed to me suitable in height, but they have 70mm in width, while in my case the width of the space under the PSU from wall to wall is exactly 67mm. I'm confused - TFX fits there in width, and 2U server PSU in height. Apparently, I really will have to use TFX and leave a little free space - the main thing is to figure out how to securely fix the PSU.

According to the holes - according to the link that you indicated, there are really the same holes for mobo standoffs, but I'm afraid I can't find one like it. Probably, I will try to pick up bolts, nuts and washers in the nearest store and fix the motherboard with them. Here on the site I met a similar topic, the image of what the person is looking for has not been preserved, but there are tips on how to get by with improvised means: Where to buy these metal standoffs?

Reply 5 of 21, by OldTV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote on 2022-03-28, 10:24:

I really dislike these standoffs. Once I had an otherwise pretty beige tower case (it contained some 440LX slot 1 board iirc) and because these seemed harder to replace (it was missing some of the standoffs) and not as solid quality as the standard brass standoffs, I ended up trashing that tower case (and tbh I also just wanted to make some more space).

I'm not even sure all of this type of standoffs are of the same height btw.

It is really unfortunate, the OPs case looks really kinda nice otherwise.

Yes, these standoffs greatly spoiled my plans for quickly moving parts from the old case to this one. But I liked the case so much that I'll invent something)

Reply 8 of 21, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
OldTV wrote on 2022-03-28, 10:50:

I looked for information on server 2U PSUs and they really seemed to me suitable in height, but they have 70mm in width, while in my case the width of the space under the PSU from wall to wall is exactly 67mm. I'm confused - TFX fits there in width, and 2U server PSU in height. Apparently, I really will have to use TFX and leave a little free space - the main thing is to figure out how to securely fix the PSU.

huh, weird the hole pattern also doesn't seem to exactly fit 2u, the top holes should be 52mm apart for that but seem to be a bit further apart... might have just been something proprietary.

Reply 9 of 21, by OldTV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
imi wrote on 2022-03-28, 11:39:

huh, weird the hole pattern also doesn't seem to exactly fit 2u, the top holes should be 52mm apart for that but seem to be a bit further apart... might have just been something proprietary.

now measured - between the centers of the holes is just 52mm

Reply 10 of 21, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

oh ok, looked a bit wider judging by the pictures, so yeah, seems to be 2u mounting pattern then at least, I think I saw a PSU somewhere once that had a little lip at the back, I assume the 67mm width is down by the I/O shield?

but yeah, like I said, I'd just try to fit a TFX PSU in, those are just easier and cheaper to get.

edit: just found one that has a bit shaved off from the side towards the I/O shield and is specd to be 67mm:
https://sep.yimg.com/ay/ramplus-2000/original … c-control-1.gif
so yeah, they seem to be out there ^^

Last edited by imi on 2022-03-28, 12:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 21, by OldTV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think that most likely I understood what PSU was here. From this site: http://www.evercase.co.uk/index.php?route=inf … nformation_id=7
there is a mention of SFX PSU (with socket on short side), which fits in my case.

Без названия (1).png
Filename
Без названия (1).png
File size
53.15 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

This seems to be an ultra rare thing, I could not find any more information or pictures.

Last edited by OldTV on 2022-03-28, 12:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 21, by OldTV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
imi wrote on 2022-03-28, 12:11:

I assume the 67mm width is down by the I/O shield?

Quite right

imi wrote on 2022-03-28, 12:11:

but yeah, like I said, I'd just try to fit a TFX PSU in, those are just easier and cheaper to get.

Most likely I will do that.

Reply 14 of 21, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Word of warning - this looks a lot like an LPX case (yes, an unbranded generic LPX case!) I picked up a few years back. Of course the slots were oriented differently and there was an LPX backplate hole instead of an ATX one - but the front panel was identical.

Why the warning? It was made of some of the most brittle ABS plastic I have come across. It literally desintegrated while I was attempting to build a system into it. First the tabs broke, then the plastic around the drive bays cracked and the whole front plate broke in half.

Not sure I could have been much gentler, but if you can, try to really treat as if it were made of glass.

Reply 15 of 21, by OldTV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2022-03-28, 12:39:

Word of warning...

Thanks for the warning! By the way, I removed the plug of the 5" bay and the plastic seemed very strong. But maybe this is deceptive and I'll be careful now.
Very good metal body as well. After modern tins, it is very pleasant to feel a heavy and solid thing in your hands.

Reply 16 of 21, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
OldTV wrote on 2022-03-28, 14:24:
dionb wrote on 2022-03-28, 12:39:

Word of warning...

Thanks for the warning! By the way, I removed the plug of the 5" bay and the plastic seemed very strong. But maybe this is deceptive and I'll be careful now.
Very good metal body as well. After modern tins, it is very pleasant to feel a heavy and solid thing in your hands.

Hope yours is different then, but better safe than sorry. Nothing wrong with the steel though, that also sounds similar.

Reply 17 of 21, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try looking for this model FSP145-50NI, they are available on different online shops and also used.
For the motherboard stands you can use the normal copper stands and screw them to the case with nuts and washers from behind.

Reply 18 of 21, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lian Li cases had square holes, so the plastic replacement standoffs people are now making for those cases won't work. Anyone here has a Lian Li PC-60 aluminum case?

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 19 of 21, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My Maxtop 917 case uses those same standoffs. I think they were pretty commonly used with late nineties/early 2000s cases, so maybe you can find a cheap used case just to salvage them.

Attachments

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey