Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143547714389

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 202 of 221, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay. Fingers crossed some of the materials you have will work 😀

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 203 of 221, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got my interposer and socket today. It doesn't look like there would be any room for solder. It feels like the pins were designed to mate as a pressure fit.

The material also seems to be robust enough to withstand hot air. Which part of your kit melted, or was it just the solder blowing around?

Reply 204 of 221, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes it must be pressed together. If we can figure out how to solder it, it will bond.

I can increase the hole size but didn’t see much need to do so. As the solder can still do its thing if only we could figure out how to get it in there.

The black LIF was melting on me when I heated it too much.

The cheap paste I bought was blowing around and not bonding.

Interested if you come up with a method to solder this in a way that doesn’t melt the LIF or prevent the interstitial socket from attaching to the lif pins.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 205 of 221, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://youtu.be/QNHfQ6Ecc2c

Featured on a youtube video!

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 206 of 221, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I did some soldering with a different soldering iron and different flux and was able to successfully Solder some of these pins on a dummy test adapter using this pcb and sockets.

I think this adapter is basically 100% ready for Showtime but it requires some good soldering skills

at the moment I don’t plan on any more revisions it appears to be done, so have at it guys

Order it, press it, solder it, populate it, build or buy the power supply, wire it, plug it in!

I didn’t bother to clean it up, just wanted to see it flow. but it’s possible with right equipment.

F9297A90-E324-4CB2-8507-29068FC53BD6.jpeg
Filename
F9297A90-E324-4CB2-8507-29068FC53BD6.jpeg
File size
921.54 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Re: Socket 5/7/SS7 (Voltage Interposer) Tweaker. (Beta)

file.php?id=142921&mode=view
file.php?id=142920&mode=view
file.php?id=142919&mode=view

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 207 of 221, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Re: Zeos motherboard project

worked on my zeos with a pentium mmx

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 208 of 221, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Finally got ahold of some of those murata modules Calamitylime has been using. And I have good news.

This is going to open up some interesting possibilities.

Attachments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 209 of 221, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I’m pondering the best way to do this, there doesn’t seem to be enough room to do it in the middle unless I flip it and make a hole for the inductor. Which might be possible, but messy and close quarters. too close it looks like.

Other idea is, as shown in previous pic.

But there is also this:

image.jpg
Filename
image.jpg
File size
1.65 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Something my interposer can do that others can’t is that it has a 3.3vio tap.

On some motherboards that require an extra psu connector for 3.3v it might be possible to feed the board from the interposer.

Some of you might also wonder if it might be possible to feed vcore from vio. And the answer is maybe. I will have to consult the murata datasheet to find out.

I’m debating if the interposer is actually going to change at all. Because a possibility is to just bga straight to the existing pads with a riser like shown above.

Some things to ponder.

If it is possible to power vcore from vio. That is definitely on the list. And probably first priority.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 210 of 221, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Genuine Amtech 559 flux paste is best for this. Comes out looking factory quality solder joints and easy to clean up with alcohol or hot soapy water and mechanical clean (brushing but ultrasonic works well).

I know this as I use different pastes and this is only one that works well, you know I repair consoles and phones, tablets for a living at a shop.

https://www.amazon.ca/NC-559-V2-TF-no-Clean-T … 387&sr=8-6&th=1

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 212 of 221, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Paadam wrote on 2023-01-10, 07:07:

Is it possible to buy this as a kit?

not currently,

Right now you just order the sockets from eBay, the power supply of your choice, the switches from digikey or mouser, and the PCB from jlcpcb. I usually get my resistors from broken electronics.

Don’t forget that you will need to set up a jig to press this together (then Carefully solder it. Suggest removing some pins temporarily for better access.)

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 213 of 221, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just had an insane idea. I watch this video today that demonstrated a "self-soldering circuit". My theory is that perhaps this can be used to attach the interposer to the circuit board. The biggest issue with using solder paste here is that there is no way to reliably apply heat to all of the pins from an external source, such as hot air, without risking damage.

What do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0csHZveVvY

Reply 214 of 221, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-01-25, 16:26:

I just had an insane idea. I watch this video today that demonstrated a "self-soldering circuit". My theory is that perhaps this can be used to attach the interposer to the circuit board. The biggest issue with using solder paste here is that there is no way to reliably apply heat to all of the pins from an external source, such as hot air, without risking damage.

What do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0csHZveVvY

It’s doable with an iron if you have flux and good solder and a lot of heat and are quick and precise.

Btw, you can remove the outer pins when soldering inner ring.

That self soldering idea is pretty clever btw :p but I don't think it will be very useful here. This interposer is ready to go. Just need some good soldering equip and skills. I use my interposer all the time! 😀

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 216 of 221, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chauls wrote on 2023-02-23, 23:43:

Any successful boots with Rise CPUs?

The motherboard I am using my adapter with currently has a intel only bios.

I could try it out in one of my socket 7 or super socket 7 mobos.

But I can already tell you the result 😀 it should work fine so long as mobo its self supports the chip on a bios level. The interposer can be configured a number of ways. The most typical is for voltage repowering of vcc2 so the internal core voltage can run lower than that of the motherboard supply on dual plane cpus. Rise is a dual plane cpu. And uses the same pins for this as other socket 7 dual plane cpus. The interposer supports passing the mobo signal for bf0,bf1 which the rise uses for setting the supported multipliers of 2x,2.5x,3x,3.5x., or setting it on the interposer if the motherboard doesn’t support it. These are the main features that a rise cpu would use on this interposer.

Rise cpu voltage and multiplier settings

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 217 of 221, by chauls

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2023-02-24, 03:04:

it should work fine so long as mobo its self supports the chip on a bios level.

My board does support it as it one of the latest SS7 mobos. The biggest concern I face right now is how to attach BGA chip to socket7? Couple of my Rise are pure BGA and I don't own any old Rise socket7 - when I could potentially use an IR station to mold pins. Any ideas in 2023?

P.S. please fix a typo on PCB face - "appropriate" 😀

Reply 218 of 221, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chauls wrote on 2023-02-24, 09:46:
Sphere478 wrote on 2023-02-24, 03:04:

it should work fine so long as mobo its self supports the chip on a bios level.

My board does support it as it one of the latest SS7 mobos. The biggest concern I face right now is how to attach BGA chip to socket7? Couple of my Rise are pure BGA and I don't own any old Rise socket7 - when I could potentially use an IR station to mold pins. Any ideas in 2023?

P.S. please fix a typo on PCB face - "appropriate" 😀

On latest version I have on my computer I show “appropriate” which passes spell check. What am I missing here? I’m no English teacher haha.

You would need a bga to socket 7 interposer.

Interposer for mobile Pentium MMX Tillamook

Here is one someone is making for tillamook. I wish them luck as the pins are impossibly small. A bga interposer for rise is much more doable imho.

Perhaps this person would have interest in making a rise version 😀

I have been working on a version with cleaner lines between the floods btw. But it’s really only a cosmetic improvement. 😀 I have also been pondering ways to add decoupling caps to this new version but there aren’t many ideal places for them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1001.27 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 219 of 221, by chauls

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2023-02-24, 19:16:
You would need a bga to socket 7 interposer. […]
Show full quote

You would need a bga to socket 7 interposer.

Interposer for mobile Pentium MMX Tillamook

Here is one someone is making for tillamook. I wish them luck as the pins are impossibly small. A bga interposer for rise is much more doable imho.

Perhaps this person would have interest in making a rise version 😀

TCP Tillamook interposer requires a tremendous patience 😀
From that perspective it would be easier for me to re-use schematics and prepare it for Rise once it's done.