VOGONS

Is Pentium 1 too fast for early 90s DOS games?

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 77, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joakim wrote on 2022-04-12, 20:23:

Not read the entire thread, but have you tried running it in pure DOS mode?

Was thinking the same since it is an unusual thing, but I never got problem running that game within Windows.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 22 of 77, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In the early 90's most games were not speed sensitive, but those that were generally expected 386 class performance. A Pentium 1 is roughly similar to a 386DX33 with L1 cache disable.

There are some games from the late 80s that expected a turbo XT, and a couple more that run bust on a 386sx machine. You can use moslow - a software slowdown tool - to approximate those speeds. In my experience it works pretty well. You will want to slow down as much as you can first using setmul and a lower bus speed for the best results.

Reply 23 of 77, by koleq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joakim wrote on 2022-04-12, 20:23:

Not read the entire thread, but have you tried running it in pure DOS mode?

Yes, I did the game didn't work under DOS mode either.
But then I tried getting another copy of the game from somewhere else and the new copy worked without a problem, so the first copy was just broken or something.

###HP Vectra VL 5/133 Series 4, D4644B###
CPU: Pentium 1 133Mhz
RAM: 96 MB EDO RAM (4x8MB, 2x32MB)
GPU: ELSA Victory 3DX (S3 Virge/DX 4MB)
Sound: Avance Logic ALS100 Plus+ REV 2.0
HDD: Seagate 20 GB (need to boot OnTrack)

Reply 24 of 77, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From my experience, some of the earlier "golden age of DOS gaming" stuff - particularly late EGA/early VGA era stuff (think 1987-1990) can crash out with a "divide by Zero" error at t he prompt if the machine is too fast for it. Ultima VI comes to mind.

Anything from 1991 onward, especially multimedia heavy titles, you'll be fine with, or maybe even have a better experience.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 26 of 77, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
koleq wrote on 2022-04-12, 20:01:
This is the issue with keen1 https://i.ibb.co/vX43Lps/image.png I also disable all of my caches to slow down the cpu. […]
Show full quote

This is the issue with keen1
image.png
I also disable all of my caches to slow down the cpu.

Don't bother disabling cache with Keen. It will run even on a modern PC just fine, albeit with no sound.

What is your graphics card?

Also might be some weird issue with RAM, although I wouldn't expect Windows to boot in that case.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 27 of 77, by koleq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The game works great now, my copy was corrupted or something.

Reply 28 of 77, by DataPro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

At first don't expect running DOS game in Win98SE.
You have to boot Win98SE in pure DOS mode.
It's easy to create a menu in AUTOEXEC.BAT & CONFIG.SYS at launch to choose between Win98SE and Pure DOS mode with different memory settings (EMS, NOEMS...)
I got a Pentium 166Mhz and 300 DOS games running fine (from 1991 to 2000).

HP Vectra 562 P166Mhz/256Ko L2 cache/Triton 430FX - 112Mo RAM - 2x 32Go+64Go CF Card - Matrox G2 8Mo - SB AWE64 ISA (PnP) + Roland MT-32 & M-GS64 (SC-88) & JV-1010 - Nec USB 2.0 PCI - Promise Ultra100 TX2 - Hama multicard reader

Reply 29 of 77, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
creepingnet wrote on 2022-04-13, 19:30:

From my experience, some of the earlier "golden age of DOS gaming" stuff - particularly late EGA/early VGA era stuff (think 1987-1990) can crash out with a "divide by Zero" error at t he prompt if the machine is too fast for it. Ultima VI comes to mind.

Anything from 1991 onward, especially multimedia heavy titles, you'll be fine with, or maybe even have a better experience.

Ditto. PC/XT-compatible games predates EMS managers like EMM386 or QEMM usually don't like faster machines and/or large RAM, with different degrees of compatibility problems.

My personal experience of some games having problems on Asus TXP4, Pentium-MMX 233 MHz, 64MB RAM, S3 Savage4 Pro, Sound Blaster Pro 2 (CT1600), 512MB CF card, and MS-DOS 6.20:
Tetris (1988 Spectrum HoloByte edition): System halts even before entering the game.
Castlevania (1990): "Divided by zero" like creepingnet said.
JetFighter II (1990): Screen keeps flashing with horizontal bandings.
Railroad Tycoon (1990): Similar to JF2 but only during animation sequences.

Castlevania, JF2 and Railroad Tycoon could be fixed by turning off both internal and external caches (effectively turning the computer into Am386DX-40) and skipping config.sys and autoexec.bat (I even managed to play Castlevania with a Gameport controller!), but Tetris was very stubborn: it allowed me to enter the game and the level selection screen, but crashed after the main screen.

Games of 1991 and onwards generally don't have to worry about this problem.

Reply 30 of 77, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didn't read everything, but:

From my experience there are several games that have issues when played on CPU's much faster than what was common when the game was released. Some games such as Alley Cat remain playable but have subtle issues such as sound effects being sped up. Some games appear to be playable at first but will have annoying glitches. As someone already said, Sierra games are prone to this. Especially their early VGA titles.

One trick I remember from way back when was to go into the BIOS settings and to disable settings having to do with the CPU cache or some such. Remember, if you are using Windows 9x on your Pentium it could become very sluggish unless you boot directly into DOS mode if you disable those caches.

You could try pressing ctrl+alt+numeric key minus to slow the system down. Not sure if this works on a Pentium though.

Imho, playing with actual old hardware sounds like fun, but I remember my computer sometimes drove me crazy. A proper emulator may not provide the so called "full experience" but should also give you a lot less trouble.

Do not read if you don't like attention seeking self-advertisements!

Did you read it anyway? Well, you can find all sorts of stuff I made using various programming languages over here:
https://github.com/peterswinkels

Reply 31 of 77, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Peter Swinkels wrote on 2022-04-14, 08:29:

You could try pressing ctrl+alt+numeric key minus to slow the system down. Not sure if this works on a Pentium though.

Is that key combination universal or model-specific? IMHO that function was not available on every computer.

Reply 32 of 77, by koleq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Imho, playing with actual old hardware sounds like fun, but I remember my computer sometimes drove me crazy. A proper emulator may not provide the so called "full experience" but should also give you a lot less trouble.

I do test most things on PCem before trying them on my old hardware, and yes PCem gives me like little to no issues.
On the real hardware it's a bit harder but the experience over all is more fun, even though I can spend hours to days to figure something out.

Reply 33 of 77, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@dormcat: I believe that key combo worked on any system that also supported the Turbo button.
@koleq: I understand the appeal, just giving advice. An emulator is also cheaper. Usually.

Did you read it anyway? Well, you can find all sorts of stuff I made using various programming languages over here:

Reply 34 of 77, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Peter Swinkels wrote on 2022-04-14, 08:55:

@koleq: I understand the appeal, just giving advice. An emulator is also cheaper. Usually.

Emulators are nice if one wants doesn't want the hassle of building and configuring old hardware and not a bad advice for DOS gaming but in several cases real hardware is needed for proper PC software development due to lack of accuracy, not just for experience and nostalgia.

For example the 3Dfx version of Dzzee initially didn't work on real hardware until the author got a real Voodoo card for his old machine to test with and DOSBox isn't useful for performance testing due to all instructions being 1 cycle which no x86 CPUs have realistically.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 35 of 77, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@gmlb256: you’re right but also kinda off topic.

Reply 36 of 77, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Peter Swinkels wrote on 2022-04-14, 12:39:

@gmlb256: you’re right but also kinda off topic.

Yeah. I apologize for the derailment.

Reply 37 of 77, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@gmlb256: no problem. 😀

Reply 38 of 77, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dormcat wrote on 2022-04-14, 08:49:

Is that key combination universal or model-specific? IMHO that function was not available on every computer.

I remember in the early Pentium era this was on Intel's own branded motherboards up to the 430fx chipset. Intel Zappa, Endeavor, Morrison etc.
Seemed pretty cool as the motherboard manual said it emulated a 23MHz AT pressing ctrl+alt+ minus key. It would only work in real mode though, didn't work in protected mode or V86 mode, so no emm386.

Reply 39 of 77, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

(warning: long recollection of half remembered things)

@Riicakirds:
I had no idea that ctrl+alt+minus was related to a specific Pentium chipset. I vaguely remembered it being a substitute of sorts for the Turbo button which was no longer supported by Pentiums although confusingly my parents owned a Pentium I, which had a Turbo button on its case. Which didn't work. To make things even more confusing (for me at least) I myself had an AMD 80586 (some kind of cheap Pentium rip off and actually a souped up 80486) which also had a Turbo button... that *drumroll* didn't appear to work either. To add to it all, mine had a display saying "133" when the button was enabled but "08" when not pressed... Among the jumble of memories I also recall my parents used to own a 80386 which also had a Turbo button. I know for a fact that one worked because I clearly remember using it to slow down games. (Sometimes as a sneaky way to give myself more time to react when timing was important. Ahem)

(edited)

Last edited by Peter Swinkels on 2022-04-18, 19:32. Edited 1 time in total.