VOGONS

First post, by SpringyCZ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I’d like to ask you for your help with identification of probably 386 motherboard. It is a pretty big motherboard with Austek A38202C Microcache chip, Quadtel 386 145414 BIOS chip, TACT 8344 chipset (on big chip and three smaller. Judging from crystal oscillators installed it was equipped with 33MHz CPU. And there was no battery on the board, just a socket for external one. Internal one has no position on the board. Thank you

350428A7-A56C-4610-B8BC-2A4F5D532D5A.jpeg
Filename
350428A7-A56C-4610-B8BC-2A4F5D532D5A.jpeg
File size
1.77 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
93C7B527-434B-4CE7-83AA-C325842BB0CE.jpeg
Filename
File size
1.76 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Filename
File size
1.76 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Attachments

Reply 1 of 32, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you looked at th99 or its modern equivalent?
Chances are you can identify it visually.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 32, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I like this kind of 386 board. Full length, forest green, and a true 386 chipset with discrete cache controller…and the option for 128kb double banked cache. I used to see a lot of boards like this, it seems the TACT boards were all more or less the same regardless of manufacturer。I normally don’t see them with quadtel bios though.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 3 of 32, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had a look on TH99. I couldn't find it. I remember trying to find a different TACT board several years ago and couldn't find that one either.
A lot of them seem to have 64kb soldered SRAM, which kind of implies they might be an OEM product.
In any case, the board has very few jumpers so they should be easy to figure out.

Reply 4 of 32, by SpringyCZ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2022-04-10, 15:26:

I had a look on TH99. I couldn't find it. I remember trying to find a different TACT board several years ago and couldn't find that one either.
A lot of them seem to have 64kb soldered SRAM, which kind of implies they might be an OEM product.
In any case, the board has very few jumpers so they should be easy to figure out.

yes, it has eight 8k x 8 chips. If it means it has 64kb cache then it might be the case. Upon the close inspection I found just two jumpers JP5 and 6. I haven’t found previous or subsequent jumper numbers yet. I might try to find a pga 386 CPU and see if it works. I sort of like the design.

Reply 5 of 32, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try looking on https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/. It used sites like TH99 at the start, but has massively added to it, fixed lots of errors in the database, and is searchable. As well as being added to on a daily basis, with user input welcomed.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 6 of 32, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote on 2022-04-10, 20:27:

Try looking on https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/. It used sites like TH99 at the start, but has massively added to it, fixed lots of errors in the database, and is searchable. As well as being added to on a daily basis, with user input welcomed.

eeew... They changed the Search with Images to include photos of the motherboards... 😠 This gives an incredibly messy view and its now much harder to find something because the visual style constantly changes.

Reply 7 of 32, by SpringyCZ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
debs3759 wrote on 2022-04-10, 20:27:

I tried to search for the mb there, but haven’t find it yet. Does anybody know the manufacturer of the TACT chipset? Because I didn’t find it in the list of chipsets. So I searched the database according to numbers of 8 and 16 bits ISA slots.

Reply 8 of 32, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

TACT is from Texas Instruments.

If I had to guess the jumper between the cache sockets and Austek controller is probably for enabling the 2nd set of 64kb cache.
JP6 is less clear, but maybe a mono/colour switch, or something related to the keyboard controller.

Reply 9 of 32, by SpringyCZ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you, with The search filter set to TI, TACT chipset I found some boards looking like mine with a different layout though.
However on my board I can’t figure out how the 386 and 387 should be inserted in the sockets because there’s no sign for pin one on it. I plan to buy a 386. So far I found just intel 386 DX 25MHz and AMD DX 40 MHz. Are there a chances they would work at 33MHz?

Reply 10 of 32, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

figuring out the pins is likely as easy as looking up the pinout and using a multimeter to measure out some groundpins. though be aware of the view of the pinout. (top bottom)

The 25 might have a chance of working, it'll be overclocked an run hotter, though the 40 will work for sure.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 11 of 32, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Actually the chipset gives a clue to finding Pin one. Cannot see in the picture for the sockets but the one, you may be able to see on the board by tilting and rotating it around in bright light for the other.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Filename
    Image1.jpg
    File size
    349 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 12 of 32, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Both processors sockets appear to have arrows pointing to pin 1. (bottom left hand corner).

Reply 13 of 32, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I saw that too and the 387/87DLC/3167 socket has the key pin on that same side. One quirk: as I looked thru 386 BIOS collection at all the boards not one had the CPU and MathCo pointed exactly same direction.
It is possible but if mine would do some double checking before putting a 386 cpu in the socket near JP6

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 14 of 32, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The placement of the sockets seems pretty random. While the FPU and CPU don't usually point in the same direction, sometimes they do. At least, I am pretty sure one of my boards is like that.

Reply 15 of 32, by SpringyCZ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Finally I sourced a 386 cpu for the board. After a proper inspection and with the knowledge I got from you I identified the correct position for CPU. The problem is that when I attempt to power the board on the psu won’t start at all only a silent whistling can be heard from it. What could possibly be the problem? Can someone tell me, what is the jumper J3 for?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.5 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.49 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 16 of 32, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

just a guess.

psu no start, silent whistling... shorted voltage rail. possible causes... dead tantrum cap, P8P9 put the wrong way round, cpu not correctly oriented, ...

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 17 of 32, by SpringyCZ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well the PSU is connected correctly I’d guess - P8 at PS1 and P9 at PS2. To troubleshoot the caps I have to find someone who can do it. To insert the PSU I followed the markings on the board and it should be seated correctly. The PSU won’t start even if the CPU is unplugged. So there’s a short somewhere on the board? Could it be related to the jumper J3 which I don’t know the purpose?
After a proper inspection I found several burned caps close to ISA slots. I hope the board did not get damaged to much. I wonder if it would work after I have them replaced. If the board is worth saving.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.52 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.88 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.74 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 19 of 32, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The PSU looks like it is connected right (always remember, black wires should be next to each other, and it should require pressure to insert when they are oriented right). I would change all the caps of the same type as those that are burned.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.