VOGONS

First post, by scruit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Compaq Proliant 1500 from the mid 90's. The PSU fires up and a green light appears on the backplane, but no POST / no video / nothing on POST card.

The first thing I did was test the pins from the PSU and I see most pins are labelled quite clearly and I have verified all those voltages.

There are 4 pins on the PSU that I don't recognize from their silkscreen labels. I was hoping someone here would know?

Pin labels that I know and check out ok:
"5" = 5.1v
"N5" = -5.0v
"12" = 12.0v
"N12" = -12.0v
"3" = 3.4v
"G" = Ground

Pin labels that I don't recognize:
"3RS" / Pink wire. Reads as 3.8v while PSU is powered but not connected to backplane, and 3.4v when connected.
"5RS" / Red wire. Reads as 5.2v when not connected, 5.1v when connected.
"PG" / White wire. Reads as 5.2v when not connected, 4.8v when connected.
"SD" / Purple wire. Reads as 0v either way.

Other info:
- The server has an actual power switch on the front, not a momentary. I thought one of these might be a standby/soft power but there's no buttons on the case for that.
- The intrusion protection is bypassed (microswitch that interrupts the power at the power switch if the case is open)
- It worked when I stored it

Reply 1 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

3RS in Pink is most likely +3V AUX, PG is Power Good, 5RS is most likely +5V AUX, SD could be Standby/ON.
How many total pins in the PSU connector or is it two PSU connectors ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 6, by scruit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2022-04-09, 14:32:

3RS in Pink is most likely +3V AUX, PG is Power Good, 5RS is most likely +5V AUX, SD could be Standby/ON.
How many total pins in the PSU connector or is it two PSU connectors ?

Thank you for your response.

I've been looking through other psu schematics and I believe you may be correct on PG and xRS. I woudl therefore expect the healthy behavior to be that 3rs and 5rs match the 3 and 5 rails while powered on and PG goes high shortly after the PSU powers on. I'll check for that.

For SD, this PC doesn't have a soft power switch or similar. All the rails are powered all the time when the big clunky power switch on the front is turned on. So that remains a mystery.

Reply 4 of 6, by scruit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
OSkar000 wrote on 2022-04-09, 14:33:

My guess is that RS is "remote sense" and PG is "power good".

I dont have any good idea what SD stands for.

Have you tried removing all cards except for the cpu board?

Thank you for your response.

I have just the backplane, psu and cpu daughterboard connected. Oscilloscope readings show weird stuff... Like the ISA slot address lines go from an 82374 EISA controller, through a F543 Octal Bus Transceiver. On the input from (from the eisa controller) the lines look good (square signal 0v-5v) but the outputs to the ISA slots are held high. Either something is pulling those lines high or the latch enable signal is not being interpreted correctly.

Also, I don't get a clock signal at the bios rom or video gpu, but I DO at the the PCI and ISA slots.

Reply 5 of 6, by scruit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Follow-up.:

I gave the PSU a once-over internally, checking for leaking capacitors etc. Didn't expect a problem given the rails appear to be good.

I noted that powering the PSU back on afterwards, not plugged in to the backplane, it started up then shut off after a second. Rechecked connections, same thing. I suspect the 5RS and 3RS are giving it feedback that all it good, and that it shut down when it didn't see any juice on the those Remote Sense wires.