VOGONS

First post, by Peter z80.eu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was testing several hardware combinations with my Baby-AT sized Apollo Pro 133A Mainboard (Commate P2BXB-V Pentium-II board with one AGP 2x slot).
Unfortunately I was not able to use a Riva TNT2 M64 AGP card properly. I even reinstalled Windows 98SE from scratch for it, but still no success.
After Windows 98SE was installed, I installed also the (necessary) VIA 4-in-1 driver (I have so far tested more than one version: 435, 426 and 423), tested with "Normal" and "Turbo" AGP choice (this is asked during setup).
Also, I installed DirectX 8.1.
Windows Desktop (2D) was always working, in also in higher, different resolutions and color depths.
I tested also 2 different BIOS settings with it, AGP x1 and AGP x2.
In NO combination, Direct3D (3D in general) is working. Also, the Nvidia control panel applet was always not working.
I've tested so far also several Nvidia driver versions, the newest 71.84, an older 53.04 and some "Detonator" versions 45.23 and 44.03. Last but not least I even tested some of the first driver which were published (non, Pre-Detonator drivers), Version 6.31 and 5.32. None of these are working, too, with 3D.
In my desperation I even installed (from scratch, too) Windows Millenium Edition, which comes with a working build-in chipset driver (USB mouse was instantly working, this was not the case with Windows 98SE).
Even Windows ME have problems with this card, no 3D mode was possible (but desktop works too in several resolutions).

Meanwhile I have no sufficient explanation about this. The mainboard works with an AGP ATI Xpert 98 (Rage Pro) and with an AGP Matrox G200 smoothly.
While "googling" for this special problem, I've found some vague hints about an incompatibility with Nvdia Riva TNT(2) cards and the Apollo Pro 133(A) chipset.
Does anybody made some expirience with that Apollo Pro 133A chipset, Windows 98SE and Riva TNT(2) cards ?
May be the card is working with Windows XP (instead of Windows 98SE), but the machine has only a Pentium II 400MHz and 256MB RAM, so I guess it's better to go with Windows 98SE (for vintage computer gaming)...

Reply 1 of 4, by SanguineBrah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a build with almost identical specs to you: TNT2 M64, 256mb ram, Windows 98SE and a Pentium II 400mhz. My motherboard is using a different but related chipset (Apollo Pro+). It's running fine for me, and I think the relevant difference is that I am using much older drivers. Try Detonator 2.08 drivers instead because I think they dropped support for M64 at some point.

Reply 2 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Windows 98SE has support thru DirectX 9.0c (Dec. 2006). Have you tried installing Dx 9.0c and see what happens ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 4, by Peter z80.eu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The problem is not DirectX version related, it seems hardware related, because (see my 1st post in this thread) I was trying a lot (tried Windows ME with build-in DirectX 7, too).
Apollo Pro 133 is unfortunately not exactly the same (memory controller is definitely different), and M64 support (description claimed this) was included in several of the driver I tested.
Well, I can even try Detonator 2.08, too, but I am not in the mood for trying eternally this. Not sure if a hardware defect reflects the described behaviour (Direct2D working, but not Direct3D).

Reply 4 of 4, by Peter z80.eu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just for completeness. I tried also to use a Rage 128 AGP card later, some problems occured also, but I was able to fix it.
These VIA 4in1 chipset driver versions are really different, they behave different, they have a different compatibility to each card/manufacturer.
Finally I tried 4in1 443v, which works (regardless of other posts) also with 98SE and ME, and these mentioned problems with the Rage128 disappeared.