VOGONS

First post, by ThenZero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

One of the retaining clips on the B bank of my compaq deskpro 425is broke off, preventing me from properly securing a memory stick in that bank. So, I currently have 8mb in A, 8mb in C, and 4mb in D, which the system recognizes. I have a couple questions about this.

1. Anyway to repair these banks? Any alternative way of securing a memory stick in the broken slot?
2. Is there any performance hit to skipping a slot like this?
3. Conversely, is there a particular configuration here that would be better (such as 4mb in A, and 8mb each in C & D)?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 9, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i've seen people on youtube desolder and replace ram slots u def would want to be good at doing that before hand since there is a lot of little pins.

looks like compaq used the cheapo ram slots that have plastic clips vs metal if u can find some with metal clips and replace them then u wouldn't have to worry about them breaking in the future.

Reply 2 of 9, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1. Not likely. But yes, they could be replaced.
Simple solution: Hot glue. Does the job, but can be removed without destruction.

2. Don't think so. The RAM timings are subject to the slowest one, e.g. 60 or 70 ns access time. But as long as the thing runs stable, it doesn't matter.

3. Nope. As long as it boots, it's fine.

BTW, I'd assume we're talking about PS/2 RAM, FPM (not EDO) with 72 pins.
Those are really, really abundant in 8 and 16 MB. So, if you don't want to mess around with hot glue but insist on more than 16 MB, get a 16 MB stick or two.
(As long as that board takes 16 MB ones.)
Although I'm rather sure that there's little that will ask for more than 16 on a 486.

I like jumpers.

Reply 3 of 9, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aaron158 wrote on 2022-04-19, 02:24:

looks like compaq used the cheapo ram slots that have plastic clips vs metal

Yep, those are a disgrace. The Oktek Jaguar V is a nice stable little board, but those all-plastic SIMM banks just take it to far...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:386DX40_MB_Jaguar_V.jpg

I like jumpers.

Reply 4 of 9, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Creative used cheap RAM sockets with plastic retaining clips on the AWE32. But it's Creative so I guess that's no surprise. I broke one a few months ago despite trying to be careful.

No respectable manufacturer should have ever had those in their inventory.

Reply 6 of 9, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

not an exact science. Just to fix something, a lot helps a lot.

But to be reversible, in my experience, hot glue can be cleanly peeled off smooth surfaces without too much force. Try not to have it run into any cavities.
How much force depends a lot on the type of glue and the temperature at application.
I'd try with a minimal amount on the seated SIMM's edge just where the broken part would go. So, more like a mechanical replacement of the retaining lever than a glue bond between two surfaces.
If that turns out to come off again after a while, try more.

I like jumpers.