VOGONS

First post, by eyalk4567

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does someone knows if Intel D850GB motherboard (Pentium 4 Willamette
) can use a modern PSU?

Before a few days, I opened up my PSU to clean it, as it was quit dusty from the inside and after I opened it I saw it had a few bad capacitors inside (also I had 2 GPUs going bad on me on this PC so I thought maybe I should looking inside the PSU to check it as the capacitors on the motherboard looked fine).
So I thought about buying a new modern PSU or to give it to someone to replace the capacitors on the PSU.

So my question is, should I buy a new modern PSU or fix it?, as the current old PSU got a high 5v (35A) line and I'm not sure if I need a high 5v line for a Pentium 4 Willamette.
Also because its a Pentium 4 Willamette the motherboard got that 6 pin auxiliary power connector and the old PSU right now doesn't have it so I'm using an adapter to connect it from the 20 pin PSU connector to the motherboard so I think I can use it also on a new PSU as they got 20+4 pins.

My specs:

CPU: Pentium 4 Willamette 1.9GHz
Motherboard: D850GB
RAM: RDRAM 512M PC800
GPU: Right now an Nvidia MX440 and in a few months I'm going to change it to an Nvidia Geforce4 TI 4400 128MB
Storage: WD400 40gb
Sound Card: Sound Blaster live 5.1

Reply 1 of 3, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
eyalk4567 wrote on 2022-04-21, 14:03:
Does someone knows if Intel D850GB motherboard (Pentium 4 Willamette ) can use a modern PSU? […]
Show full quote

) can use a modern PSU?

Before a few days, I opened up my PSU to clean it, as it was quit dusty from the inside and after I opened it I saw it had a few bad capacitors inside (also I had 2 GPUs going bad on me on this PC so I thought maybe I should looking inside the PSU to check it as the capacitors on the motherboard looked fine).
So I thought about buying a new modern PSU or to give it to someone to replace the capacitors on the PSU.

So my question is, should I buy a new modern PSU or fix it?, as the current old PSU got a high 5v (35A) line and I'm not sure if I need a high 5v line for a Pentium 4 Willamette.
Also because its a Pentium 4 Willamette the motherboard got that 6 pin auxiliary power connector and the old PSU right now doesn't have it so I'm using an adapter to connect it from the 20 pin PSU connector to the motherboard so I think I can use it also on a new PSU as they got 20+4 pins.

My specs:

GPU: Right now an Nvidia MX440 and in a few months I'm going to change it to an Nvidia Geforce4 TI 4400 128MB

The official Intel line is - https://web.archive.org/web/20010608154932/ht … 50gb/tti002.htm - but this other link implies that the 6 pin auxilliary cable was only there to support boards capable of taking high draw AGP Pro 50 cards - for standard boards without this its only the 20 + 4 pin connectors which are needed - https://www.vanshardware.com/articles/2001/no … er_Supplies.htm

Reply 2 of 3, by eyalk4567

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2022-04-22, 03:18:
eyalk4567 wrote on 2022-04-21, 14:03:
Does someone knows if Intel D850GB motherboard (Pentium 4 Willamette ) can use a modern PSU? […]
Show full quote

) can use a modern PSU?

My specs:

The official Intel line is - https://web.archive.org/web/20010608154932/ht … 50gb/tti002.htm - but this other link implies that the 6 pin auxiliary cable was only there to support boards capable of taking high draw AGP Pro 50 cards - for standard boards without this its only the 20 + 4 pin connectors which are needed - https://www.vanshardware.com/articles/2001/no … er_Supplies.htm

So does that mean that I can use a modern PSU? And also do I not need to connect the 6 pin auxiliary cable to the motherboard if I do not have an AGP Pro GPU?

Reply 3 of 3, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
eyalk4567 wrote on 2022-04-22, 06:21:

So does that mean that I can use a modern PSU? And also do I not need to connect the 6 pin auxiliary cable to the motherboard if I do not have an AGP Pro GPU?

Any decent modern PSU will be fine as long as it has the 4 pin 12V cable to supply additional processor current - Intel seemingly dropped mention of the 6 pin auxilliary cable at a later date as it was only for AGP Pro 50 use. In your case the board will work fine without it connected.