VOGONS

First post, by SpringyCZ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello. I recently bought a computer which seemed to work properly until I decided to remove the motherboard out in order to get rid of the battery and to repair the corroded parts. While I was removing the keyboard socket I noticed a really badly burned to ashes capacitor TC1 and the two close capacitors C2 and C3 seemed to be hurt by the flames so much that I couldn’t figure out the values of capacitors. Anyway, the board refuses to boot without the C3 and C2, TC1 probably didn’t work at the time board was functional. Together, however, the missing parts seem to affect the MBL8042H-352 function. Before desoldering the capacitors I removed the chip and the BIOS chip from their sockets.
Can somebody with the same board help me to find the capacitors of the correct values? Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.87 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

From this picture found on vatera.hu for chips-gw286ct-retro-286, they appear to be 47pF ceramics.
Check C20 as it appears to be same but might not be (cannot tell if C20 is 47pF or 470pF, picture is blurry)

Attachments

• Image3.jpg
    Filename
    Image3.jpg
    File size
    50.1 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 6, by SpringyCZ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you. C20 is signed with S472, however, the one from the picture you uploaded seems to be 47. Now I need someone with the same board or picture from different angle to read the value of the tantalum one.

Reply 3 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

All those similar TC# Tantalums should be the same size, check TC40 or TC45.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could use any Electrolytic 4.7uF that is 16v or higher instead of a Tantalum if you want. You could even use a 10uF since it just a power plane filter.

Reply 6 of 6, by SpringyCZ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Even the electrolytic capacitors? So the type of capacitor have no affect on the overall function of the board? This might be beneficial for my other mother board a 386 one which suffered from 5 tantalum capacitors burnout. Totally there are 54 of these of the same capacity so I might have them all replaced. Electrolytes might be leaky but tantalum capacitors seem more dangerous to me.