VOGONS

First post, by doogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Apologies in advance for the noobness of this post - but I am genuinely curious about what might have happened here.

I got a 20L ultrasonic cleaner for various projects, including PCB cleaning and restoration. Of course before dumping anything in that I care about, I reached into my “non functional” pile, and pulled a couple of expansion cards, as well as a dead Intel VC820 (as in, dead dead, no obvious damage, but does not power up at all).

After some pretty incredible results, I went for it and cleaned a few working parts, including an nForce2 motherboard. Everything still worked great and now look great as well.

A day later however, I looked at the VC820 and the solder is doing..something! A white powder/paste of sorts has emerged from the surface mounted components. Interestingly, nothing on the backside of the board.

Cleaning process for everything was:
- Distilled water and 5% Elma Tec A1 PCB cleaner, at 60C
- Degas
- Sweep, 2 minutes cleaning per side
- post cleaning, 99% IPA bath for approximately 10 seconds
- initial dry using air compressor
- 24 hour dry time before any reassembly

I can clean the the substance using IPA and a brush or cotton swab, but, again I am very interested to understand what this might be.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 2, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

These remains was flux. They are bit harder to clean off if sitting there for years, they get hard with age. I see this same with microsoft xbox one and series boards covered with this and no matter how much I clean, stayed this way.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 2 of 2, by doogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks! The stuff seems to work and act like flux, so that makes good sense. Interesting that none of the other boards reacted this way, but I guess it could be the type of flux and/or solder that was used?

Anyhow - aside from this incident, I was able to get very good results from the cleaner across some video, sound cards and motherboards. All look as new now.