VOGONS

First post, by Niborius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So for my early 90's build I was looking for a CRT monitor, and found out that someone who sold me various parts before actually for very fair prices, has a CRT monitor that has hardly been used.
It's a HP D8897. It's manufactured in 2000, so a little newer than I was hoping for considering I'd mostly be playing 2D games, but maybe that's not a bad thing?

I am not very familiar in this field. He's says he is thinking about selling it for somewhere between €100 - €125 but that is more expensive than I was hoping for. However as stated before, it has not been used much and it still looks very 'new' on the photo's he sent me as well.

Opinions?

Thanks in advance!

Reply 2 of 8, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

seems to be a pretty generic CRT, worth that much? probably not.

but if it's hardly used, and you have no other way of getting another CRT, it might be worth it to you, who knows.

Reply 3 of 8, by Niborius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your input guys.

In the end I made a deal for €90 and he will come deliver the monitor at my doorstep.
It's still much but I have been looking for one for so long, and at least this one hasn't been used much so I'm glad 😀

Reply 6 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If being delivered then the price is OK, be sure to test it when delivered and imi is correct about 800x600 mode. 1024 mode is pushing it's limits and at that ~15" size would be hard to read 😁

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 8, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

100e for a HP D8897 15" crt is too much if you ask me. Most I'd be willing to pay for a standard 15" vga monitor is 25e. I'd go up to 50-60 for a 14" '90s ibm like the ones that shipped with the aptiva line.

Reply 8 of 8, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I kind of manage an apartment building. €100 - €125 is roughly the cost I'd assume for having some service company remove a CRT TV from the basement and dispose of it.
So, CRT computer screens are somewhat less heavy in that size, but that's roughly their worth in the real word: Minus 100 to 125 €.

Of course, I'm nonetheless happy to own three smaller CRT monitors and a token vanilla CRT TV.

But, if and what you'd pay for that, is utterly your subjective preference. So, don't regret your choice. Case to be made for that sale:

- CRTs have a limited runtime. Hardly used is surely a pro.
- So, that sets it apart from "just any random CRT". The moment it has anything special about it, if the seller doesn't want to get rid of it, he's in a bit of a fix: If he's going to keep it for the right buyer, he may as well charge real money for it.
There is a certain bonus to late, quality 15" today:
- They're not that bloody heavy and bulky.
- They run 1024 x 786 just fine and any game that will do more at decent fps is probably modern enough to support 19" TFTs or widescreens.

I used a 15" Hyundai from 1997 for well over five years. 1024x Windows was ok.
Refresh rates were fine, since it was rated at 70 kHz horizontal, that was pretty decent for a 15" back then.
Below 70 kHz, it will not do flicker free at 1024 but let's face it, you're not going to do a whole lot of spreadsheets on it? 😉

I like jumpers.