VOGONS

First post, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a 200mhz mmx that over clocks to 233 just fine. It is one jumper. The case has a turbo button. Would the system hang if I hooked the turbo up to that jumper? Any negatives to the idea before I try it and break something?

Thanks in advance
-TW

Reply 1 of 7, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

multiplier jumpers only act upon hard reset/power up, but the FSB jumpers should be immediate, but if the machine tolerates on the fly change must be experimentally tested. Most PLLs should do glitchless clock chance so there's a good change it will work.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 7, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I added a small dip switch to the front of my case so i can adjust multi and FSB on the fly. As Tiido said, Multi's require a reboot to take effect but doesn't lock the system or anything like that. I can switch between 60 & 66mhz on the fly using one of the switches and to 50mhz using the Turbo button.

7ySkk3Ml.jpg

Reply 4 of 7, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bancho wrote on 2022-05-17, 07:20:
I added a small dip switch to the front of my case so i can adjust multi and FSB on the fly. As Tiido said, Multi's require a re […]
Show full quote

I added a small dip switch to the front of my case so i can adjust multi and FSB on the fly. As Tiido said, Multi's require a reboot to take effect but doesn't lock the system or anything like that. I can switch between 60 & 66mhz on the fly using one of the switches and to 50mhz using the Turbo button.

7ySkk3Ml.jpg

That's neat! How is the dip switch actually connected and what parts do you need? I have a few systems with switches to adjust FSB and/or multiplier but they're usually at the back in ISA brackets.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 6 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a 486 board that I can change the multiplies and fsb on the fly... Can trick the board into running a Cyrix 5x86 at 2Mhz.

At least I am pretty sure it changes multipliers on the fly... I need to double check as I haven't used that system in a while.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 7, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2022-07-15, 21:12:

I have a 486 board that I can change the multiplies and fsb on the fly...

486 boards are around the time clock-synth chips that can adjust the clock smooth enough for a processor not to trip over it were introduced. "Classic" 486 boards without any "green" features and no PCI or write-back L1 support usually have clock chips that can't change the FSB properly while the system is running. "Modern" 486 boards with PCI slots and an option for a "doze" mode need to be able to drop the FSB clock to implement doze mode and usually use "modern" clock-synth chips that allow smooth glitchless FSB changes. I have a Asus PVI-486SP3 just next to me with the turbo switch connected in a way to toggle between FSB25 and FSB40, which works perfectly, too. I didn't test hot-switching my UM-486V AIO (a "classic" board), but I would be surprised if it worked reliably on that board.