VOGONS

Reply 100 of 132, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-02-09, 03:04:
This all sounds like long term echoes to me... 2002ish "486es are just so much trash, made in the millions, they'll never be vin […]
Show full quote

This all sounds like long term echoes to me...
2002ish "486es are just so much trash, made in the millions, they'll never be vintage or collectable like original IBM PCs are becoming"
1997ish "IBM PCs are just so much trash, they're just obsolete junk, they'll never be vintage or collectable like Commodore PETs"

Funny how things change once most of those millions of units have been trashed...

Reply 101 of 132, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Error 0x7CF wrote on 2024-02-08, 22:22:
You can't even fully patch Windows 7 on an AXP. By the time of the AXP you could still run basically anything you wanted (XP inc […]
Show full quote
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2024-02-08, 18:37:

Maybe in 10 years time those sockets will be considered vintage and they will count, but we are having this conversation today and I struggle to put the Athlon XP 3000+ in the same age classification as a 486 or the original Pentium processor.

You can't even fully patch Windows 7 on an AXP. By the time of the AXP you could still run basically anything you wanted (XP included) on a Pentium Classic, albeit slowly. They're even separated by less than a decade. It's been over 20 years since the AXP 3000+ released.

Its lack of SSE2 and thus incapability for modern software makes it a hell of a lot more vintage than any Pentium 4 at least, and consensus seems to definitely be in favor of the Pentium 4 as retro. Even a Willamette P4 has SSE2 and so could run basically a modern OS and software stack. Windows 11 excluded.

I'm not gonna argue in favor of AM2/+ as retro since there are people actively willingly using those systems with modern software stacks, I think my great aunt is one. I do, however, think it's very interesting to circumvent the "vintage" part of the thread's question and illustrate, when possible, that modern socket-compatible motherboards sometimes have as much (or more!) of an uplift than the golden standard example Socket (super or not) 7 that often gets thought of. It's easy to overlook by applying nostalgia logic, especially considering CPU speed climbed so fast so quickly back then.

Sock.7 came out around 1995 and was more or less abandoned about 1999 with the Athlon series, and as such I'd say AM4 (note again: not at all saying it's retro, it's obviously not) achieving a similar-ish (better if multithreaded) uplift but having been supported for coming up on a decade at this point, is if anything an even more impressive show of platform longevity than a single 4-year socket riding the tiger with Moore's Law and introducing random voltage regulator incompatibility the whole while.

I could buy an A320 board right now and throw a 5700x3d in it, which released a week or so ago, about 8 years after the launch of AM4, no modding required. VRMs might throttle under load but the CPU won't blow up and the BIOS will probably support the new chip, after maybe an update flash with an older chip to get it up to a newer (OFFICIAL) BIOS. Could the same be said of an early S5/S7 board?

I've kind of rambled a bit but I hope I made my (two) points.

It's a fair admission that the entry to 'retro/vintage' has gotten slower these days, I would no way argue that any 10 year old CPU is retro unless it's Bulldozer, and that's just because nobody in their right mind should be using Bulldozer 😜
But I think 20 years is plenty. The AXP 3000+ is above legal US drinking age. High school graduates are younger than those CPUs, 4-year college graduates will be soon. You can't run anything modern on it. Daily driving it would be an experiment in CBT, if it's even possible at all. It's vintage. You're just old, which is fine. I will always see the i7 4790k as high end and shiny. Our mental framing of these things decides how we categorize these things, even when it is based in pure irrationality.

Ultimately I think the question "which socket saw the biggest increase in horsepower" is a proxy to "what platform had the best long term support" and by a long shot, if we exclude the "vintage" mark, it is AM4.
Within the "vintage" mark it will be entirely down to what is and is not vintage, and so cannot be answered in any meaningfully concrete way.

I wonder how a Bulldozer based AM4 APU on an A320 board would do as an XP rig.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 102 of 132, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2024-02-08, 20:11:
Socket3 wrote on 2024-02-08, 12:43:

Much better then LGA775. In essence, an AM2 motherboard can run anything from a single core athlon/sempron to a quad core Phenom. AM2+ motherboards can run some AM3 chips, like the Athlon II and Phenom II.

Majority of AM2 mobos weren't capable of working with anything but Athlon 64. Some ASUS and Gigabyte mobos are notable exceptions. And practically all AM2+ motherboard can work with Phenom II (AM3), but some don't have microcode BIOS updates for hexacore family of chips.

You can add Asrock and to some extent MSI models to that list, particularly Asrock. Yes, some early AM2 motherboards did not benefit from microcode updates, so CPU support is quite limited, but from what I've seen, faster CPU support is more reliable on AM2 then it is on LGA775 - at least the limited samples I've played around with.

I cant say vintage interests me a whole lot either, but that is what this whole conversation is about :-) […]
Show full quote
Socket3 wrote on 2024-02-08, 16:51:
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2024-02-08, 14:21:

Is Anything AM vintage?

I mean there is an official definition for something to be vintage, which means none of the AM nor LGA sockets could be considered vintage for some time to come.

I guess not, more like obosolete, but I don't really care. I just like collecting and tinkering with stuff, wether it's vintage or not doesn't really interest me.

I cant say vintage interests me a whole lot either, but that is what this whole conversation is about 😀

One of the problems the AMD sockets have within the confines of this conversation is that they last so long. Which is good for real world ownership...
I mean you could have bought your PC with a 1.2 Duron and then ended up with an Athlon XP 3000+. Which is great, but that it lasted so long stops it serving the purpose of vintage.

Maybe in 10 years time those sockets will be considered vintage and they will count, but we are having this conversation today and I struggle to put the Athlon XP 3000+ in the same age classification as a 486 or the original Pentium processor.

Socket A came out when I was a teen. I was messing around with such machines in highschool. From a practical point of view socket A is only good for retro computing. Those two facts make socket A retro in my view, together with socket 370, slot A and slot 1.

Reply 103 of 132, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Socket3 wrote on 2024-02-09, 08:03:
You can add Asrock and to some extent MSI models to that list, particularly Asrock. Yes, some early AM2 motherboards did not ben […]
Show full quote
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2024-02-08, 20:11:
Socket3 wrote on 2024-02-08, 12:43:

Much better then LGA775. In essence, an AM2 motherboard can run anything from a single core athlon/sempron to a quad core Phenom. AM2+ motherboards can run some AM3 chips, like the Athlon II and Phenom II.

Majority of AM2 mobos weren't capable of working with anything but Athlon 64. Some ASUS and Gigabyte mobos are notable exceptions. And practically all AM2+ motherboard can work with Phenom II (AM3), but some don't have microcode BIOS updates for hexacore family of chips.

You can add Asrock and to some extent MSI models to that list, particularly Asrock. Yes, some early AM2 motherboards did not benefit from microcode updates, so CPU support is quite limited, but from what I've seen, faster CPU support is more reliable on AM2 then it is on LGA775 - at least the limited samples I've played around with.

I cant say vintage interests me a whole lot either, but that is what this whole conversation is about :-) […]
Show full quote
Socket3 wrote on 2024-02-08, 16:51:

I guess not, more like obosolete, but I don't really care. I just like collecting and tinkering with stuff, wether it's vintage or not doesn't really interest me.

I cant say vintage interests me a whole lot either, but that is what this whole conversation is about 😀

One of the problems the AMD sockets have within the confines of this conversation is that they last so long. Which is good for real world ownership...
I mean you could have bought your PC with a 1.2 Duron and then ended up with an Athlon XP 3000+. Which is great, but that it lasted so long stops it serving the purpose of vintage.

Socket A came out when I was a teen. I was messing around with such machines in highschool. From a practical point of view socket A is only good for retro computing. Those two facts make socket A retro in my view, together with socket 370, slot A and slot 1.

Its retro to me too. I would like to build a 462/Win98 system and that would be retro as I never had one and havent still got one.

Its just not sure if its vintage yet.

Reply 104 of 132, by DarthSun

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Difficult decision.
Maybe Socket7/SS7. I started testing from 100MHz up to 617. If we take into account that the P60 can also be packed inside, the scaling is even greater.
Test line:
3DMark99
3DMark2001
Shiny
3DBench2
Landmark2 CPU/FPU/video
Landmark2 CPU/FPU/video overall
Doom1.9s
GLQuake1 StartTimerefresh
NPRQuake1 StartTimerefresh
GLQuake1 640x480 TimedemoDemo3
NPRQuake1 640x480 TimedemoDemo3
Quake2 800x600 OGL StartTimerefresh
Quake2 800x600 OGL Map.demo1.dm2
3DM2001-Dragothic-Low detail
3DM2001-Nature
Quake2 800x600 3DNowOGL StartTimerefresh
Quake2 800x600 3DNowOGL Map.demo1.dm2

Overall result:

Full.jpg
Filename
Full.jpg
File size
161.57 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

A tough test for the S7:

nature.jpg
Filename
nature.jpg
File size
159.73 KiB
Views
File license

3DMark99:

3dm99.jpg
Filename
3dm99.jpg
File size
168.09 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 105 of 132, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Socket3 wrote on 2024-02-09, 08:03:

From a practical point of view socket A is only good for retro computing. Those two facts make socket A retro in my view, together with socket 370, slot A and slot 1.

If that's the definition, then... wouldn't everything prior to LGA775 and AM2 be retro, and those two and anything newer are not retro? I think those are the first two sockets that can still boot x64 Windows 10 and unsupportedly boot Windows 11 and run modern versions of most things.

I might be wrong about excluding 939 though - do any later 939 CPUs have all the instructions required for Win10 x64?

Reply 106 of 132, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

None of the Socket 939 CPUs have instructions to support OS beyond Windows 7. Which wasn't the first time (Slot A/early Socket A lack of SSE) or the last (Phenom II lack of proper SSE4.1) time it happened with AMD platform.
This one in particular isn't critical though, because running on Windows 10 on it is pointless, better use lightweight Linux distro.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 107 of 132, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DarthSun wrote on 2024-02-09, 19:11:
Difficult decision. Maybe Socket7/SS7. I started testing from 100MHz up to 617. If we take into account that the P60 can also be […]
Show full quote

Difficult decision.
Maybe Socket7/SS7. I started testing from 100MHz up to 617. If we take into account that the P60 can also be packed inside, the scaling is even greater.
Test line:
3DMark99
3DMark2001
Shiny
3DBench2
Landmark2 CPU/FPU/video
Landmark2 CPU/FPU/video overall
Doom1.9s
GLQuake1 StartTimerefresh
NPRQuake1 StartTimerefresh
GLQuake1 640x480 TimedemoDemo3
NPRQuake1 640x480 TimedemoDemo3
Quake2 800x600 OGL StartTimerefresh
Quake2 800x600 OGL Map.demo1.dm2
3DM2001-Dragothic-Low detail
3DM2001-Nature
Quake2 800x600 3DNowOGL StartTimerefresh
Quake2 800x600 3DNowOGL Map.demo1.dm2

Overall result:
Full.jpg

A tough test for the S7:
nature.jpg

3DMark99:
3dm99.jpg

Hey thats not fair you brought technical proof to an argument of feelings. I love my socket 5..! 🙁

Reply 108 of 132, by DarthSun

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey thats not fair you brought technical proof to an argument of feelings. I love my socket 5..! 🙁

I am innocent 😀
I just saw the topic, then I looked at my test. I like to try everything on my own test bench. Claim: the biggest increase - it is best to support this with authentic tests.

TestCFG_ide-sd8g.jpg
Filename
TestCFG_ide-sd8g.jpg
File size
328.84 KiB
Views
File license

However, the whole story can be described with today's possibilities, K6+ processors are rare, their acquisition is questionable, but they do exist.
7-9 times scaling, but as I wrote, it can reach 10 times, many S5 processors run in S7 sockets. For this reason, the S5 essentially overlaps it.
I started with the smallest processor, 100MHz:

k5pr100abrextm.jpg
Filename
k5pr100abrextm.jpg
File size
159.23 KiB
Views
File license

The king :

k6-iii_400_atz_1_6v_m.jpg
Filename
k6-iii_400_atz_1_6v_m.jpg
File size
382.21 KiB
Views
File license

A little other test also shows its power:

Aida_Sandra_test_mix.jpg
Filename
Aida_Sandra_test_mix.jpg
File size
274.24 KiB
Views
File license

Of course, you need a good video card to show this, I used an R9800Pro, which didn't even exist back then.

+Small exotic image, Rise in CPUz 😀

risemp6_250_3dm2001.jpg
Filename
risemp6_250_3dm2001.jpg
File size
249.58 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 109 of 132, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2024-02-10, 02:44:

None of the Socket 939 CPUs have instructions to support OS beyond Windows 7. Which wasn't the first time (Slot A/early Socket A lack of SSE) or the last (Phenom II lack of proper SSE4.1) time it happened with AMD platform.
This one in particular isn't critical though, because running on Windows 10 on it is pointless, better use lightweight Linux distro.

Being obsolete doesnt mean it defacto becomes vintage.

Joakim wrote on 2024-02-10, 11:11:

But Super Socket 7 is clearly a vintage item because of its age.

Reply 110 of 132, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2024-02-10, 14:57:

When it comes to computers, I disagree. Things move much faster in the PC world. 10-15 years is sometimes (but not allways) sufficient time for hardware and software to become archaic, as such, it could kind of be considered "vintage". Case and point - 8088 to 486/pentium - that period started in the early 80's and ended in the mid-late 90's, with the first pentium releasing in what, 93? 94? If you judge "vintageness" solely by age, like you would with say cars, then yeah, your argument is valid. But then a vintage car is still usefull. You can get in and get from A to B, albeit sometimes slower and with left comfort and safety, but it's not the same with computers. After a certain age they become useless for everything but retro computing.

Reply 111 of 132, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Socket3 wrote on 2024-02-10, 16:21:

After a certain age they become useless for everything but retro computing.

Isn't that mostly a function of the Internet (and to a lesser extent, subscription-licenced software) though? If you are using a computer for a particular set of productivity tasks and have perpetual licences of productivity software that meets those needs and don't need to exchange data with others running newer software, then effectively that computer can be usable for as long as the hardware works (and for things like printers, for as long as you can find consumables, but that's true of an older car too...).

Aren't there, for example, famous writers who were still using WordStar? And... presumably they do need to exchange data with others, since they have to send their work to their publishers... (but I suppose if the author is famous enough, it's not that hard for the publisher to maintain the ability to receive floppies with WordStar files and convert them to modern format... this is where the PC platform is helpful, if that same writer loved WriteNow for 68K Macs instead, it would be a lot harder...)

Reply 112 of 132, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here comes the ultra-scientific MHz comparison. Let's make this quick and easy.

All chips that fit in a socket without an adapter are included. Official, real rated clock speeds only (no overclocking / downclocking / fake parts / PR speeds). Single core comparison.

Socket 7: 75 MHz to 570 MHz === 7.6X increase!

Socket 3: 16 MHz to 150 MHz === 9.375X increase!

Wow! Many other gens are maybe 3X. Today chips rarely increase clock speed over their previous gen. And within the AM4 socket class, it only managed 1.7X in MHz spread. The shame. MHz matter.

Reply 113 of 132, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No, but Socket 939 is 20 years old. It would be silly to not consider it vintage just because some basic tasks are still accessible.

Reply 114 of 132, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When it comes to computers, I disagree. Things move much faster in the PC world. 10-15 years is sometimes (but not allways) sufficient time for hardware and software to become archaic, as such, it could kind of be considered "vintage". Case and point - 8088 to 486/pentium - that period started in the early 80's and ended in the mid-late 90's, with the first pentium releasing in what, 93? 94? If you judge "vintageness" solely by age, like you would with say cars, then yeah, your argument is valid. But then a vintage car is still usefull. You can get in and get from A to B, albeit sometimes slower and with left comfort and safety, but it's not the same with computers. After a certain age they become useless for everything but retro computing.

So a lack of usefulness for what you want to do with a computer makes it vintage?

Like if I want to use Windows 7 because it has MCE but it wont install and work properly on a 12th gen i7 that makes it vintage because it cant work for what I want it to?

Thats just taking your idea but from the other way around...

My dual socket 771 system has a pair of X5365s should we call that Vintage too because its well past its prime?

Retro and vintage is not the same thing, theyre not interchangable, but they can be both, you can have a vintage computer that you use for retro tasks but playing some old games on a system doesnt mean its vintage... VOGONS says that.

Its an interesting problem to talk about.
Youre example of the car being vintage...
The car can still do the job it did, its just that now its old.
That you now need it to do something else and it cant isnt what makes it vintage. Same goes for a computer, just because a Pentium cant play 4k videos isnt what makes it vintage. It can still do what it did back then, its just that now its old so its vintage.

Reply 115 of 132, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2024-02-11, 01:37:
So a lack of usefulness for what you want to do with a computer makes it vintage? […]
Show full quote

So a lack of usefulness for what you want to do with a computer makes it vintage?

Like if I want to use Windows 7 because it has MCE but it wont install and work properly on a 12th gen i7 that makes it vintage because it cant work for what I want it to?

My dual socket 771 system has a pair of X5365s should we call that Vintage too because its well past its prime?

Retro and vintage is not the same thing, theyre not interchangable, but they can be both, you can have a vintage computer that you use for retro tasks but playing some old games on a system doesnt mean its vintage... VOGONS says that.

That you now need it to do something else and it cant isnt what makes it vintage. Same goes for a computer, just because a Pentium cant play 4k videos isnt what makes it vintage. It can still do what it did back then, its just that now its old so its vintage.

[...] vintage
adjective
UK /ˈvɪn.tɪdʒ/ US /ˈvɪn.t̬ɪdʒ/
vintage adjective (FROM THE PAST) - produced in the past, and typical of the period in which it was made:
- a vintage plane
- a vintage comic book

See also
- vintage car

used to describe clothing, jewellery, etc. that is not new, especially when it is a good example of a style from the past:
She loves buying vintage clothing.
The actress turned up at the Oscars in a classic vintage dress.
[...] - taken from https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/vintage

By that definition, anything old, made in a different "era" is considered vintage. Vintage can also be used to describe a time period "1970's vintage" and 1980's vintage. That can be further expanded upon, depending on the domain the word applies to. When it comes to wine, it applies to independent years. When it comes to fasion, it can be applied to a whole decade. When it comes to furniture, it can encompass time periods of 1 to 3 decades, and so on.

As such, I will be describing socket A as "early 2000's vintage".

Different era hardware are (or are not) considered vintage by individuals of certain age groups. I consider anything older then LGA775 + i9xx chipset / socket AM2 to be vintage hardware, but you could, using the definition above, refer to LGA1155 as "2011 vintage". Using that logic, you could call your dual Xeon rig "2007 vintage".

Reply 116 of 132, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Socket3 wrote on 2024-02-11, 14:06:

By that definition, anything old, made in a different "era" is considered vintage. Vintage can also be used to describe a time period "1970's vintage" and 1980's vintage. That can be further expanded upon, depending on the domain the word applies to. When it comes to wine, it applies to independent years. When it comes to fasion, it can be applied to a whole decade. When it comes to furniture, it can encompass time periods of 1 to 3 decades, and so on.

Different era hardware are (or are not) considered vintage by individuals of certain age groups. I consider anything older then LGA775 + i9xx chipset / socket AM2 to be vintage hardware, but you could, using the definition above, refer to LGA1155 as "2011 vintage". Using that logic, you could call your dual Xeon rig "2007 vintage".

But by the latter definition, my M1 Max MacBook Pro is a "2021 vintage" laptop, which is... entirely accurate, I suppose, but a totally different meaning of "vintage". If I go to a vintage Mac forum and start talking about my "2021 vintage" machine, I'll be laughed out of the place...

My own sense is that vintage really means old from a different era in a way that is now seen as "cool". An old, uncool item from the same era is just... old garbage... whether it's a car, fashion or computers.

Now, of course, almost all things go through a stage where they are seen as useless garbage before they become vintage. I think most people here have probably e-wasted a ton of hardware that it... just didn't even occur to try to rehome... because we just knew it was dated junk, and then today... oops, there would be huge demand for this now-vintage item. This is especially true for PCland hardware that has interesting compatibility quirks that are recognized now but were completely overlooked back then (e.g. if you were e-wasting a laptop in 2005 that you bought in 2000, you probably had no idea how good its audio chip's DOS compatibility might have been...)

Reply 117 of 132, by nd22

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For me anything older than LGA 775 with Core 2 latest version/ socket AM2+ with Phenom II is vintage because of missing instruction sets required by today software. I mean I could install Windows 10 on a Pentium 4/Athlon 64 but it would not run the latest software. I consider the original socket AM2 is also vintage because the the X2 is missing some instruction set required today.
For example a Pentium D 960 is vintage today; even the original E6XXX/Q6XXX is vintage; this is also true for Athlon 64X2/ Phenom first generation: Phenom 9850 just can't run today's software.
On the contrary I got a system with Q9650 that runs just fine and performance is OK - office tasks, browsing the net, running specialized medical software, it's actually my daily driver.
I am not talking about performance here; simply compatibility!

Reply 118 of 132, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For me anything older than LGA 775 with Core 2 latest version/ socket AM2+ with Phenom II is vintage because of missing instruction sets required by today software.

Phenom II has only SSE3 functionality and is obsolete.
Core 2 45nm has only SSE4.1 and many programs nowadays require both SSE4.1 and 4.2.

Reply 119 of 132, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Socket3 wrote on 2024-02-11, 14:06:
[...] vintage adjective UK /ˈvɪn.tɪdʒ/ US /ˈvɪn.t̬ɪdʒ/ vintage adjective (FROM THE PAST) - produced in the past, and typical […]
Show full quote
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2024-02-11, 01:37:
So a lack of usefulness for what you want to do with a computer makes it vintage? […]
Show full quote

[...] vintage
adjective
UK /ˈvɪn.tɪdʒ/ US /ˈvɪn.t̬ɪdʒ/
vintage adjective (FROM THE PAST) - produced in the past, and typical of the period in which it was made:
- a vintage plane
- a vintage comic book

See also
- vintage car

used to describe clothing, jewellery, etc. that is not new, especially when it is a good example of a style from the past:
She loves buying vintage clothing.
The actress turned up at the Oscars in a classic vintage dress.
[...] - taken from https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/vintage

Yeah that all makes sense. I can live with that.
My Raptor lake I7 is a '22 vintage CPU?