VOGONS

Reply 20 of 23, by Niborius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

CF card is definitely in the correct way.

I'll double check the back but already looked carefully as I read before that this is a fairly common issues with these cards. It's not a very cheap one but not very expensive either.
This is what I have: https://www.delock.com/produkt/91624/merkmale.html

Thanks for the quick reply!

Reply 21 of 23, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've had also experience with CF adapters of various kinds that do not work as some of their pins are shorted...

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 22 of 23, by Niborius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

CF adapter definitely looks OK

I double checked the IO card. I noticed one of the IDE pins was bent a little, I was able to bent it back, and so far everything seems to be detected. However before I believe it I need to do some further testing. So I'll come back later and report 😀

Edit: Almost forgot. I also set the jumper on the CF Adapter to 3.3v instead of 5v, although I didn't expect it to change anything. But maybe that did help?

Edit2: Was able to install MS-DOS 6.2 just fine, however I can't get it to actually RUN ms dos. It will hang at the screen right before it normally says "Loading MS-DOS 6.2" (screenshot below). I don't get an error or anything..
The values for the card (Cyln, head, wpcom etc) are auto detected.

Attachments

Reply 23 of 23, by Niborius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was able to fix the issue by using FDISK to repartition the drive to MBR. Now I'm not sure anymore in what order exactly I did this, but I can actually get into DOS now and everything is working fine! I did not have to go through the DOS setup again. What confuses me however is I cannot find the DOS folder at all. Also the "edit" command does not seem to work. I do see a commands.com file. Is there anything I need to do?