VOGONS

First post, by nosuch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is an NEC Ready 9716 which I have to say is one of the least convenient cases I've worked on. To replace the CMOS battery I had to remove the entire drive cage, and the floppy cable connector is inconveniently hidden behind the power supply 😀

I'm trying to mount 2 things in the 5.25 bays that are available. The top bay with a CD-ROM is unique as it has mounting screw holes with a standard pattern, so the CD-ROM was easy. The lower 2 bays however have large open areas where I would hope to find screw holes. If they were intended to be used with rails then it's a much larger rail size than I'm used to. The only other mounting option I can imagine is some kind of server-style rabbit ears - see the holes in the front pic.

Does anyone have experience with a system like this and have any advice? At this point it seems that if the ears approach doesn't work out I'll end up kludging something together. Maybe a vecro and sticky tape solution, or something 3D printed to fill the void space in the sides. Neither sounds great.

PXL_20220511_124421573.jpg
Filename
PXL_20220511_124421573.jpg
File size
1.32 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
PXL_20220511_124432992.jpg
Filename
PXL_20220511_124432992.jpg
File size
1.23 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes that uses special mount rails that would have a flange on the front part to screw into the case, had to find a few for an old (Dell/Gateway/Compaq ?) case once that would be similar but are much skinnier than what you need...
They would be shaped similar to the plastic one in the picture or be like the metal ones but much wider...

Attachments

• Img_1939s.jpg
    Filename
    Img_1939s.jpg
    File size
    60.16 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2022-05-15, 00:53:
nosuch wrote on 2022-05-14, 18:52:

Thanks, now I know what I'm looking for!

As above, & same question covered in a previous thread - NEC Ready 9716 - drive bays??

heheee if my old brain was not going soft would have remembered that topic ;p
Good job !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun