VOGONS

First post, by Retromania

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello you guys,

My original ibm ps/1 keyboard started to malfunction, since i've connected it to my amd k62 rig.
I don't know if it was a coincidence or not, but when i've connected it back to my ibm ps/1, i've noticed that now the lights of caps lock and scroll lock are always on, and the keys stop working.

Now it's temperamental, sometimes he decides to work, and on a few of those times, i've tested every key and they are working, so the membrane it's still ok.
On boot i got these error codes:

303 -> Keyboard and/or system board interface error; keyboard controller fault
8602 -> Pointing device: mouse interface error

What could be the issue? a logical chip inside the keyboard? is it fixable?

Thanks in advance for your help 😉

Attachments

• jun232006-005.jpg
    Filename
    jun232006-005.jpg
    File size
    23.97 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

www.retromania.pt

Reply 1 of 4, by whaka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

capacitors, capacitors... and capacitors 😁
good luck if you've never opened thoses keyboards, i strongly suggest you to follow a tutorial.

back some years ago, when some informations were less available, i opened one out of curiosity... and never reassemble it.
i don't remember exactly how i did, but at some point, all keys springs have jumped all over me.
and at this point, i'd just gived up...

Reply 2 of 4, by Retromania

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Today for troubleshooting, i've connected a universal ps2 keyboard, and it worked, i was able to enter the IBM Custom GUI (4 squares), so the motherboard its ok, the problem it's on the keyboard itself.

The keyboard it's working erraticly, per example today it worked on the second time i've turned on my computer, and since it was working, i did a reboot using ctrl alt del in 5 consecutive times, and the keyboard worked, but after i turned off the computer and turned it back on, once again i had the caps lock and scroll lock lights on, and every key refusses to work.

Does anybody know why sometimes it works and sometimes not?

Can anyone help me on this?

Thanks

www.retromania.pt

Reply 3 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tried that old keyboard in a different computer with a ps2 port ? Keyboards do fail, sometimes slowly, sometimes they just quit ;p
A few things: Old keyboards require more amps than newer ones. Are you sure sure the +5v at the keyboard connector is 5v when the old keyboard is plugged in ?
And as mentioned yes there are capacitors in keyboards, motherboards, and everything else. They could be failing in the keyboard or the keyboard circuit of your k6 rig.
Sorry just pointing out the obvious...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 4, by whaka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Retromania wrote on 2022-05-23, 22:18:

Does anybody know why sometimes it works and sometimes not?

i gived you the answer, maybe not very clealry, i admit.
your problem is capacitors inside the keyboard, on the controller board.