VOGONS

First post, by PentAmd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

I try to find my first pc which was made in 1994-1995.
It was a digital (dec) computer . By design It resembles to the venturis family (maybe it was ventiris).
Inside on the motherboard there was a socket 5 pentium 75 processor with passive cooling. Next to it there was an empty socket 4 slot. The PC has 4 pcs edo memory slots.
On the expansion board there were only 2 pci slots.
Maybe someone can help me to find the exact type of my back then beloved computer.

Thank you in advance!

Reply 2 of 2, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DEC made a bunch of IBM PC compatible desktops in the 90s:

• DECstation - not to be confused with the MIPS ULTRIX DECstation workstations, these were made by tandy. Mine is a 386 but possibly they came in 486 too.
  • DECpc - first made by DEC themselves I think. These seem to be almost exclusively 386s and 486s though at least the DECpc XL and LPx were available in Pentium form. The DECpc AXP 150 was an Alpha and was intended to run Windows NT. The LP and LPv machines are pretty nice - the LPv+ at least has integrated VLB S3 805 graphics. Some (DECpc 433dx LP?) have the CPU on a card that plugs into the side of the motherboard.
  • Venturis - lower end business machine. 486, Pentium and maybe Pentium 2. Never seen one of the 486 machines but I assume they're effectively a DECpc with a different badge. The Pentiums have the usual onboard S3 Trio64 video and I/O in the first generation Pentiums. Second generation (FX-2) might have added ethernet and audio - can't remember now, been a while since I got one out.
  • Celebris - higher end business machine. My Celebris GL 5133 has onboard DEC 21040 ethernet, matrox video, crystal audio and Adaptec SCSI. My Celebris FX-2 6200 is a Pentium Pro also with integrated audio, ethernet, scsi, etc.
  • Starion - these were home machines. Never seen one myself - probably never sold in New Zealand. Based on the service manuals it looks like the early ones used the same cases as the Venturis and Celebris, later ones used something different.
  • Digital PC - these replaced the Venturis and Starion after Compaq bought the company. Same case as the later FX-2 Venturis and Celebris. I think mine are all Pentium II but probably they were available as a Pentium as well.

Based on your description it could be a first generation Venturis though I think unlikely as they were announced in July 1995 and the ones I've seen only had a single CPU socket. Perhaps a Starion or a late high-end DECpc?

Personally I'd love to get a DECpc LPx - almost had a chance to get one about 15 years ago when I got my stack of DECpcs but one of the IT people ended up taking it home. Sadly they're pretty rare on ebay and international shipping would probably cost far too much.