VOGONS

First post, by mrfusion92

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everyone, I got at work from a dismissed IBM AS/400 a Tandberg SLR5 tape drive.
Inside there was an Imation SLR5-8GB tape.

I bought an Adaptec SCSI card, put everything inside my PIII machine and installed them on Win98. I've installed also Veritas Backup Exec Desktop and here the issue begins.

The tape drive is correctly discovered, I can select it but every operation I try gives me the error that "this media cannot be used with the device".

But like the tape has SLR5 written on it, and it's the size that the drive can handle (4gb or 8 gb compressed), so I guess that the problem is because the tape is initialized for the as/400 system.
Inside Veritas there are "initialize" and "erase" options but that error still pop-ups.

Are there some utilities to forcefully "re-init" the tape for Windows systems? Or maybe the tape is gone bad? Based on what's written on the label, last time it was used was 10 years ago.

EDIT: Forgot to say, mechanically seems everything in order. The tape spins and also while Veritas try to use it, it moves.

Reply 1 of 7, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some clue about using it in windows might be trying the old adaptec EZ-scsi package. I think it had a utility to work with tape drives.
Personally I would boot a linux dist and see what I can learn from there.

edit: Tandberg Tape Drive Utility Disk / resource CD contain some software for windows 9x according to the manual on bitsavers. though finding that might be another needle in a haystack.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 7, by mrfusion92

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I downloaded the EZ software of Adaptec but didn't installed since I found out that Win98 has already the driver built-in for the SCSI card. But I will definitely try.

About the Tandberg drivers/sw, already searched on the internet in the past days but I've found nothing. Just manuals. I will search again.

Reply 3 of 7, by mrfusion92

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got some progress.

Booted a Debian Live and erased the tape with the mt-gnu utility. Then back in Veritas I could initialize the tape successfully but the backup operation still fails with a different error.

Right now I'm erasing the tape again this time with Veritas, I'll try init it again after.

Reply 4 of 7, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe another option would be to jumper the drive for self test as the tape (blank or used) will be completely overwritten during the process -https://www.craystone.com/dealer/page13.html

SLR5 Self Test.jpg
Filename
SLR5 Self Test.jpg
File size
141.1 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 7, by mrfusion92

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2022-06-11, 11:21:

Maybe another option would be to jumper the drive for self test as the tape (blank or used) will be completely overwritten during the process -https://www.craystone.com/dealer/page13.html

SLR5 Self Test.jpg

Done it and got the blinking amber led... which isn't described in the manuals i've found!

Screenshot_2.png
Filename
Screenshot_2.png
File size
37.65 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

But I guess isn't something good.

With Veritas nothing changed, I can init/erase it without issues but recording gives me the error "header update failed".

At work we have other tapes I can borrow, I will try with another.

Reply 6 of 7, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Which Adaptec card do you have and what BIOS version ? 2940U/UW/UA etc with BIOS less than v1.30 cannot see HD above 8Gb IIRC and maybe that applies to tapes too ???

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun