VOGONS

First post, by acadiel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I’m trying to figure out how to hook up this IrDA interface to my Tyan P200 system. The IrDA drive has four pins, +V, GND, TX, and RX. The motherboard manual itself has frighteningly little on IR. The JP16/JP17 have to be set to 2/3 for the second COM port to be allocated to IR (the manual doesn’t state that, but I see other documentation on the web saying that COM2 gets reused for IR with those jumpers). Where this gets confusing is the conflicting information about which connector/header to use. The manual for the motherboard says pins 6-7 are IR RX and pins 8-9 are IR TX on J17. J17 on this board is a long 1x24 set of jumpers, most of which aren’t noted (but ones like the power LED, reset switch, etc, are documented.). However, there’s also an actual IR header on the board too!

So, here’s several pictures:
1) The IR harness with pins
2) The JP16/JP17 showing the 2/3 pins I have it set at.
3) the IR1 dedicated IR connector on the motherboard
4) the 1 x 24 “strip” connector that the documentation references
5) The settings from the manual for IR - talking about JP16/17 and which pins on J17 are IR (6-9). (The manual does not speak about the IR header itself.)
6) Pinouts from the Statson site that also show two IR headers. IR1, and JP17 pins 6-9 both reference IR.

So, what do I use? I checked the four pin IR header (IR1). One pin is ground. Two are getting 5V. One doesn’t register anything. I also checked the four pins on J17. Pin #9 gets 5V and Pin #7 is ground. The other two don’t get anything.

Confused as all get out. Obviously I need to use one of these connectors, but the motherboard makers get a F for not providing more info on the pinouts and which header to use!

Attachments

Reply 3 of 5, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
acadiel wrote on 2022-06-11, 03:01:

So, what do I use? I checked the four pin IR header (IR1). One pin is ground. Two are getting 5V. One doesn’t register anything.

Can you be more specific which pins register as ground, 5V, and nothing?

Did this labeled IR connector come with the motherboard?

Check this link-- this is the manual to the ATX version of the Tyan board with the TX chipset. It is very similar.
https://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/archive/Tyan/m … m_s1573_100.pdf

For the ATX board:
J2 is the 4 pin connector you show, and it's fully described
J8 is the long pin header, and also described fully. The configuration here matches the labeling on the IR connector you have.
It also has jumpers to switch between COM and IRDA.

I think what they might have been trying to do was to support multiple types of IRDA connectors for 4/5 pin arrangements... but of course, I'm not sure if there were typos still or if anything is shifted. Check maybe if it does match the ATX board manual, to solve this question. Also check if there is continuity between IR1 and pins on J17 to see if they were just supporting different premade connectors.

Reply 4 of 5, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Whatcha gonna use it for? I remember these being useful for transferring files from a pocket pc to a pc or other pocket pc. But pocket pcs aren’t around anymore unless you are retroing them.

So I’m curious what you will do with it? Turn on the tv? 😀

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 5 of 5, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
the3dfxdude wrote on 2022-06-11, 04:29:
Can you be more specific which pins register as ground, 5V, and nothing? […]
Show full quote

So, what do I use? I checked the four pin IR header (IR1). One pin is ground. Two are getting 5V. One doesn’t register anything.

Can you be more specific which pins register as ground, 5V, and nothing?

Did this labeled IR connector come with the motherboard?

Check this link-- this is the manual to the ATX version of the Tyan board with the TX chipset. It is very similar.
https://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/archive/Tyan/m … m_s1573_100.pdf

For the ATX board:
J2 is the 4 pin connector you show, and it's fully described
J8 is the long pin header, and also described fully. The configuration here matches the labeling on the IR connector you have.
It also has jumpers to switch between COM and IRDA.

I think what they might have been trying to do was to support multiple types of IRDA connectors for 4/5 pin arrangements... but of course, I'm not sure if there were typos still or if anything is shifted. Check maybe if it does match the ATX board manual, to solve this question. Also check if there is continuity between IR1 and pins on J17 to see if they were just supporting different premade connectors.

Tyan weren't kidding in their old IrDA FAQ about checking the manual for the correct pinout - they don't seem to have used the same one twice!

Maybe a closer match for the OPs s1571 would be the s1570 (Titan Turbo AT) - ftp://ftp.tyan.com/manuals/m_s1570_100.pdf

s1570_IrDA.jpg
Filename
s1570_IrDA.jpg
File size
25.88 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception