VOGONS

First post, by multiplebaboons

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I'm new here, likely not nearly as hardcore of a vintage computing enthusiast as you are, but I recently got this beast as a gift from a friend. Behold what I think is an incredibly boring specimen: no sound adapter of any kind, 75MHz 486, a horrible screen featuring 256 colors at 640x480, 16MB RAM. But, overall in great condition. I've managed to install W95 on a 4gig CF card and it's fully functional (great driver support out of the box, as it turned out), I may even get the original external CD drive that came with it.
Seems like a machine for typing up reports and checking email. Do you think one could make it a bit more fun? Max out RAM & PCMCIA sound adapter(?!) to play games, maybe? What's a good place to shop for those? I also saw someone on youtube actually use a wifi adapter on a similar machine. Any other ideas?
Thanks!

Attachments

• sat.jpg
    Filename
    sat.jpg
    File size
    322.08 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 3, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In my experience, I had a PCMCIA soundcard that worked in Win 95 but it didn't support DOS games. I also had 802.11b wireless ethernet cards for PCMCIA but they only worked with WEP or unencrypted networks, so you'd have to set one up yourself that is unsecured. Maybe there are better options out there. If it has a parallel port you might want to look at parallel port sound devices like OPL2LPT for instance.

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 3 of 3, by multiplebaboons

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How much electronics is in that Syba CF to IDE adapter, by the way? A bit of a strange glitch from day one: sometimes windows 95 is unable to shutdown, just displays that "wait while your computer shuts down" screen indefinitely. Tried several CF cards, happens anyway. Didn't happen with the original HDD. Any ideas?