VOGONS

First post, by Sly_Botts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I have this Epox 440bx mobo with a P3 600mhz.

Resound Adlib clone is one ISA slot, V3 2000 in AGP slot with fan plugs into mb fan header and Ensoniq 1370 plugged into PCI slot.

I installed an SB 16 into one of the ISA slots. When I turned on the PC I smelt burning and system shut down. Afterwards I noticed the fan on the Voodoo3 which was plugged into the fan header is no longer working, and both the Resound and PCI sound card work but the resound has crackly FM synth and the PCI sound card has MIDI only coming from one speaker, but sound works fine. Everything else on the system appears to be working fine. System posts, runs, no other issues.

Is it possible that only part of the mobo is fried?

I have since ordered a replacement mobo and fan for my voodoo 3 and I have ordered a new soundcard off ebay.

I think whatever was in the ISA slots and PCI slots got damaged but the AGP slot appeared to be spared as well as all the other periferals (Thank goodness).

Thoughts?

It is possible to commit no errors and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life.

Reply 1 of 10, by maestro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sly_Botts wrote on 2022-06-21, 03:22:

Is it possible that only part of the mobo is fried?

Definitely, and no guarantee that continuing to run it wont cascade into another failure point, so don't use parts that you that you want to keep but by all means continue to test it.

Have you isolated failure point to the ISA slot? Do you think it was debris in the slot or maybe just too much juice for the old dog?

Reply 2 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you have a multimeter ?

I would measure the PSU's voltage rails with the PC powered on, but without any valuable ISA or PCI cards plugged in .

What brand/model PSU are you using ? Do you have a spare to test with ?

Do you know what component(s) burned (on the motherboard or elsewhere) ?

Reply 3 of 10, by Sly_Botts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2022-06-21, 03:44:
Do you have a multimeter ? […]
Show full quote

I would measure the PSU's voltage rails with the PC powered on, but without any valuable ISA or PCI cards plugged in .

I'm 100% sure it was the sound card that did it, as the system ran fine for over a year until I put this card in and then smelled that dreaded burning smell. Which imeediately resulted in the other cards not working right. The PSU is Corsair CX450 and its been fine.

It is possible to commit no errors and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life.

Reply 4 of 10, by Sly_Botts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sly_Botts wrote on 2022-06-21, 04:53:
Show full quote

I'm 100% sure it was the sound card that did it, as the system ran fine for over a year until I put this card in and then smelled that dreaded burning smell. Which imeediately resulted in the other cards not working right. The PSU is Corsair CX450 and its been fine.

The sound card had been recapped very poorly and I think it caused a short of somekind.

Reply 5 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sly_Botts wrote on 2022-06-21, 05:00:
Show full quote

The sound card had been recapped very poorly and I think it caused a short of somekind.

Even if the culprit was that recapped sound card, my concern is that the motherboard may not be the only thing that got damaged. Specifically, testing the PSU to make sure all the voltage rails are still in spec following this incident (which likely triggered OCP on the PSU, which would have initiated the power-off) would not be a bad idea IMHO .

In other words, the PSU may well be perfectly fine, but I would not assume it survived 100% unscathed until at least a summary round of testing its rails. An out of spec PSU can cause weird symptoms and damage components in the long run. How likely that would be following this kind of incident is something I do not know .

Additionally, IMHO, at least one of the faults you described (no audio on one channel when using synth) is seems likly to be due to damage to one the soundcard .

EDIT: Also, I am no expert on this, but my understanding is that, depending on what got shorted to what, potential damage will vary.

For example, shorting a rail to ground, mainly risks damaging/burning the traces/wires that carry power from that rail on the PSU to the short until OCP kicks on the PSU .

However, if the short connects a high voltage rail, like the 12V one, to the 5V one, consequences could be more complex and damage greater as components on the motherboard or its connected peripherals would then be exposed to a higher voltage than what they were designed for.

Somebody with more knowledge and experience will surely confirm or this or correct me if necessary .

Reply 6 of 10, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

One of the caps in backwards?, or solder bridge?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 7 of 10, by Sly_Botts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2022-06-21, 05:45:
Even if the culprit was that recapped sound card, my concern is that the motherboard may not be the only thing that got damaged […]
Show full quote
Sly_Botts wrote on 2022-06-21, 05:00:

Even if the culprit was that recapped sound card, my concern is that the motherboard may not be the only thing that got damaged. Specifically, testing the PSU to make sure all the voltage rails are still in spec following this incident (which likely triggered OCP on the PSU, which would have initiated the power-off) would not be a bad idea IMHO .

In other words, the PSU may well be perfectly fine, but I would not assume it survived 100% unscathed until at least a summary round of testing its rails. An out of spec PSU can cause weird symptoms and damage components in the long run. How likely that would be following this kind of incident is something I do not know .

Additionally, IMHO, at least one of the faults you described (no audio on one channel when using synth) is seems likly to be due to damage to one the soundcard .

EDIT: Also, I am no expert on this, but my understanding is that, depending on what got shorted to what, potential damage will vary.

For example, shorting a rail to ground, mainly risks damaging/burning the traces/wires that carry power from that rail on the PSU to the short until OCP kicks on the PSU .

However, if the short connects a high voltage rail, like the 12V one, to the 5V one, consequences could be more complex and damage greater as components on the motherboard or its connected peripherals would then be exposed to a higher voltage than what they were designed for.

Somebody with more knowledge and experience will surely confirm or this or correct me if necessary .

I tested the PSU and its fine, all the voltages were proper. I unplugged everything, put a paper clip on green and black, turned it on and tested the voltages and they were all within spec. So I'm happy to report the PSU is undamaged.

Reply 8 of 10, by Sly_Botts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The only dissapointment here is, I can't use my P3 600E CPU because I bought a ASUS P2B to replace (as it was the most affordable for me) and the photo shows Rev 1.10 so I have to buy a Katmai CPU to go with it as the 600E is coppermine and this specific revision does not support Slot 1 coppermine even with updated bios. Luckily the Seller has agreed to update the bios to 1008 for me so I can put a Katmai 600mhz Slot 1 P3 in there.

Reply 9 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sly_Botts wrote on 2022-06-21, 15:54:

The only dissapointment here is, I can't use my P3 600E CPU because I bought a ASUS P2B to replace (as it was the most affordable for me) and the photo shows Rev 1.10 so I have to buy a Katmai CPU to go with it as the 600E is coppermine and this specific revision does not support Slot 1 coppermine even with updated bios. Luckily the Seller has agreed to update the bios to 1008 for me so I can put a Katmai 600mhz Slot 1 P3 in there.

Some P2B rev 1.10 boards did support Coppermine. Mine did for instance.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 10, by Sly_Botts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote on 2022-06-21, 20:05:
Sly_Botts wrote on 2022-06-21, 15:54:

Some P2B rev 1.10 boards did support Coppermine. Mine did for instance.

Yes but it was dependent what voltage regulators the mobo had: HIP6019BCB, HIP6020ACB, HIP6004CB, HIP6004BCB, US3007CW ...

...and there is no way for me to be able to check that as ebay pictures don't go that fine in quality to read small things like that. It's ok though I was able to find a Slot 1 P3 600mhz Katmai for $25 USD. Once I have the board I will look it more closely to see if I have any of the regulars and possibly test the P 3 600e CPU. I just want to make sure I have compatible parts.