VOGONS

ASUS CUC-D

Topic actions

First post, by lukas12p

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi
I'm looking for any usefull informations about ASUS CUC-D (2x S370 on i820)
I have this board, but not working.
First things that would be usefull would be manual and BIOS.
Thanks

Reply 1 of 8, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lukas12p wrote on 2022-06-22, 21:00:
Hi I'm looking for any usefull informations about ASUS CUC-D (2x S370 on i820) I have this board, but not working. First things […]
Show full quote

Hi
I'm looking for any usefull informations about ASUS CUC-D (2x S370 on i820)
I have this board, but not working.
First things that would be usefull would be manual and BIOS.
Thanks

Think it might be an OEM product - it was the system board in the HP Kayak XM600 Series 2 Workstation (latest BIOS is version IC.11.11)

HP_Asus CUC-D.jpg
Filename
HP_Asus CUC-D.jpg
File size
520.08 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Filename
34256.pdf
File size
261.63 KiB
Downloads
57 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

BIOS - ftp://ftp3.hp.com/pub/softlib/software1/vc327 … en/kdf550en.exe

Reply 2 of 8, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't want to put you off, but I spent years trying to find a working example of its HP Kayak predecessor, the P3C-D. I think I had 7 in my hands. All dead. No physical damage visible, no bad caps. Once got someone to desolder the BIOS, re-flash and re-solder. Nope, nothing. Eventually I found a working P3C-D, but that was a retail Asus product, not the HP version. I have no idea what was going on with Asus & HP, but these OEM dual i820 boards seem cursed.

Reply 3 of 8, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They are also crippled artificially.
HP spent the extra time and $ to "upgrade" the excellent base model to ok-ish OEM product.
Tried hard to revert two of them without success.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 5 of 8, by freekymachine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2022-06-23, 06:55:

...i820 boards seem cursed.

Yes, they all are, in general Rambus Boards are all cursed 😀
I nearly had all of em, all ever built, easier to list which ones i didnt have^^

Had btw 2 defective P3C-D aswell - one one i knew it had broken PCB, like haircut-crack, seemed that many had this, of this series, i guess maybe too much heat from RD-Rams + 2x P3 CPU's, combined with High-End Graphcard and the chipset.

All Rambus systems were pretty much built over the limit back then - All boards could be angry girlfriends, working fine oney to ruin your day the next 😀 - and beware if you touched the Bios settings wrong, something, suddenly your scsi didnt want to boot, your usb card wasnt detected anymore, the irq on your soundcard went haywire - man, could tell so many weird storys with those Boards, i have encountered the years.

But beware if they ran, then they ran with Nitro_boost, P3 on Steroids.

Currently one CUC-D on Ebay.co.uk, but he wants sooo much for it.

Reply 6 of 8, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

See that i820 ..see them Rdimm slots ...yup there's your issue, I dont think I have ever seen a vintage one of these boards working in a 100% state and if they are working then they sell for an arm, both legs and possibly a kidney or two.

Reply 7 of 8, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Had 3 P3C-D, the crippled HP version.
All 3 worked fine for what they are.
Killed two of them while trying to undo the HP "improvements". Still keep them for parts.
Sold the third one.
In general motherboards from big USA brands like IBM, Intel, HP, Compaq, Dell, etc., are totally underwhelming and not worth the coins.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 8 of 8, by freekymachine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-10-20, 04:23:

See that i820 ..see them Rdimm slots ...yup there's your issue, I dont think I have ever seen a vintage one of these boards working in a 100% state and if they are working then they sell for an arm, both legs and possibly a kidney or two.

HAHAhahaha, still laughing!
rly good one !!
and yeah, if they are 100% ok, like running under CPU-Burn while doing a 3DMark on a video without flames in background..

[i have 3x Asus P3C-E + 1x HP P3C-D here - the P3C-D is fine, i used it years myself, but as mentioned had 2 defective ones and one of the P3C-E isnt stable, one i used myself for years and the other one must be the one out of my sisters old computer, should be fine too - but had so many faulty P3C-E back then, wasnt uncommon to have "another" P3C-E with issues ]
- i ll take your arms and legs, and propably your head too 😀 for one Board 😜

pshipkov wrote on 2022-10-20, 05:21:
Had 3 P3C-D, the crippled HP version. All 3 worked fine for what they are. Killed two of them while trying to undo the HP "impro […]
Show full quote

Had 3 P3C-D, the crippled HP version.
All 3 worked fine for what they are.
Killed two of them while trying to undo the HP "improvements". Still keep them for parts.
Sold the third one.
In general motherboards from big USA brands like IBM, Intel, HP, Compaq, Dell, etc., are totally underwhelming and not worth the coins.

Woulndt call the HP version crippled, was bit weird, the asus was 1.12, the hp 1.13 - had them both, ran against each other back in the days and kept the HP one, was better, slightly, not much, was fine.
But yeah, you cant undo the HP work - also back in the days I already knew from others who tried, when the board was still circling around a lot.

But often, yeah, the OEM ones for HP/Compaq/IBM and others were often kept on a short leash, like the OR840 in the IBM Intellistation, total useless that Board, vs a good later revision of the OR840. Or the orig. MSI 603 vs the Compaq W8000 or so ?! cant remember, was also kept on a short leash, missing some features.

We see it on the price tags too, Intelli one you can get for 50 Dollars, the non-IBM for over 250€.

Well enjoy, fellow Rambus-Fans, may we collect them all anyway - must catch them all^^