VOGONS

[Slot1 Mobo] Repair or Trash ?

Topic actions

First post, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got this mobo, some caps need replacement.
But I'm not sure it's worth fixing it. No AGP, No ISA, ...

What do you think ?
MSI MS-6190 Ver1 Medion 9901 Mainboard, Intel 440ZX Chipset... with Integrated TNT2 M64

IMG_20220624_212723.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220624_212723.jpg
File size
1.8 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

My Intel SE440BX-2 Intel's website Mirror : Modified to include docs, refs and BIOSes.
Proud owner of a TL866 II
Personal GitHub

Reply 2 of 22, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like there’s an unpopulated ISA slot. If there’s a variant of this board with ISA, I’d be tempted to add the slot and any required passive parts whilst doing the recap.

No AGP is a bit of a downer, but the onboard M64 will be good enough for a lot of games.

Reply 3 of 22, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With an integrated TNT2 M62 and for example a Celeron 300A it can make a solid budget build. It also has an on-board Ensoniq AudioPCI, which has mixed reputation, but could be worse. If it can be modded to have an ISA slot that makes it better. Recapping is also a cheap repair and Slot-1 boards are starting to get pricy. I'd go for it.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 4 of 22, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No AGP is hardly an issue with a perfectly matched 3D chip onboard with its own RAM. This is a fine early Win98SE system on a board, it can do decent late DOS stuff too (better if you could populate the ISA slot for a good sound card). It reminds me of my beloved MS-6168; it has a V3-2000 onboard, but otherwise is very similar. One of my favorite old systems uses that 😀

Reply 5 of 22, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ZX is a slightly crippled BX... it's got RAM limits that don't really matter for 98 era gaming. TNT2 onboard is pretty decent match. 300-366 mendocino or 566-700 cumine celly with the bus clocked to 100 will give you some cheap thrills.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 6 of 22, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-06-24, 21:20:

ZX is a slightly crippled BX... it's got RAM limits that don't really matter for 98 era gaming. TNT2 onboard is pretty decent match. 300-366 mendocino or 566-700 cumine celly with the bus clocked to 100 will give you some cheap thrills.

No guarantees this will run CuMine - but a P3-550 Katmai would be a great match for the rest.

Reply 7 of 22, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been able to download last bios update, and the card seems to support coefs up to 8...
Ordered some Caps, will have some work soon 😀
I recently received some new-old Slot1/S370 adapters, maybe a good opportunity to test them 😆

Thanks for advices guys !

Edit : I also ordered an ISA port, less than 3$, I'll give a try but I doubt it will work. I searched but not been able to find any version of this motherboard with an ISA port.

My Intel SE440BX-2 Intel's website Mirror : Modified to include docs, refs and BIOSes.
Personal GitHub

Reply 8 of 22, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This looks like a nice little board 😊
It's basically a 440BX but with a more limited memory expansion options, though as already been mentioned 256MB is still more than enough for 9x so this 'limitation' is really quite insignificant. The onboard graphics chip (which comes with its own memory) is a feature that was often seen on boards during the pre-i815 era (1997 1998) and the TNT2 M64 is a really useful one, especially if you mate this board with a CPU predating Coppermine.
I can't read what sound chip it has, except for the word "creative".

Looks like you already made your choice but if only for the record, another +1 for keeping this board!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 22, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Chances for a working ISA slot are quite good here, the southbridge has a PCI-ISA bridge integrated, there won´t be many components to add - if any.

If BIOS disables the PCI-ISA bridge (so it doesn´t show up in the device manager) it will be hard to find an alternative BIOS since you need onboard video and sound support.
You could install some OS like XP or run some live Linux distro from CD and run "lspci" first to check if the bridge is active before soldering the ISA socket.

Reply 10 of 22, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
majestyk wrote on 2022-06-25, 05:37:

Chances for a working ISA slot are quite good here, the southbridge has a PCI-ISA bridge integrated, there won´t be many components to add - if any.

If BIOS disables the PCI-ISA bridge (so it doesn´t show up in the device manager) it will be hard to find an alternative BIOS since you need onboard video and sound support.
You could install some OS like XP or run some live Linux distro from CD and run "lspci" first to check if the bridge is active before soldering the ISA socket.

I wasn't aware that we can check if the PCI-ISA Bridge is active with lspci 😆
Very good idea indeed ! I'm retrieving an old knoppix and I'll try this soon.

Personal GitHub

Reply 11 of 22, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NyLan wrote on 2022-06-24, 19:40:
Got this mobo, some caps need replacement. But I'm not sure it's worth fixing it. No AGP, No ISA, ... […]
Show full quote

Got this mobo, some caps need replacement.
But I'm not sure it's worth fixing it. No AGP, No ISA, ...

What do you think ?
MSI MS-6190 Ver1 Medion 9901 Mainboard, Intel 440ZX Chipset... with Integrated TNT2 M64

IMG_20220624_212723.jpg

with fastest supported ram ( if available) that'd make a good w98se build especially with pentium power and that gpu built in. I have a system board without gpu agp/pcie but it only has intel integrated still love running 98se on it with pentium 4. There are late PCI gpu's with 256 to 512mb ram I am after them for HDMI in PCI slot.

Reply 12 of 22, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's got onboard Creative sound card. I would verify if there is a DOS driver for it. TNT2 M64 has dedicated memory so it won't be that bad. Good enough for PIII 550 Katmai. Fix the caps, then sell it.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 13 of 22, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A nice little board - have one myself and definitely a fixer upper. My original caps are fine (for now!)

Seems closest to an OEM version of the MS-6166 (has ISA) - https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/motherboards/7904

Will happily boot and run stable with Coppermines to at least 1GHz and supports 512MB of PC100 / PC133.

@Tetrium, chip on mine is an Ensoniq ES1373

Reply 14 of 22, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NyLan wrote on 2022-06-25, 07:44:
majestyk wrote on 2022-06-25, 05:37:

I wasn't aware that we can check if the PCI-ISA Bridge is active with lspci 😆
Very good idea indeed ! I'm retrieving an old knoppix and I'll try this soon.

I'd strongly expect it would be - take a look here:
intel_440bx_rev_1.0_sch.pdf_2.png

Pretty much all the legacy I/O on the PIIXE4 (82371EB) runs off the ISA bus, including BIOS itself. No ISA = no boot anyway on a BX or ZX or similar.

Reply 15 of 22, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2022-06-25, 08:33:
A nice little board - have one myself and definitely a fixer upper. My original caps are fine (for now!) […]
Show full quote

A nice little board - have one myself and definitely a fixer upper. My original caps are fine (for now!)

Seems closest to an OEM version of the MS-6166 (has ISA) - https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/motherboards/7904

Will happily boot and run stable with Coppermines to at least 1GHz and supports 512MB of PC100 / PC133.

@Tetrium, chip on mine is an Ensoniq ES1373

Yes it's a ES1373. Looks like the MS-6166 is the same + ISA. However, can't find any picture of the real product so far.

Personal GitHub

Reply 16 of 22, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I’ve got an MS-6166 with ISA. The only difference looks to be ATI Rage 128 vs TNT2 M64.

Edit: A few quick photos here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/TjhRd7vJ5JyPicpSA

Reply 17 of 22, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
paradigital wrote on 2022-06-25, 15:02:

I’ve got an MS-6166 with ISA. The only difference looks to be ATI Rage 128 vs TNT2 M64.

Edit: A few quick photos here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/TjhRd7vJ5JyPicpSA

Thanks for the pictures ! ( looks like you need to do some recap as well 👀 😆 )

From your picture what is missing near ISA slot on mine

1.png
Filename
1.png
File size
425.22 KiB
Views
File license
2.png
Filename
2.png
File size
286.88 KiB
Views
File license

And near CPU :

3.png
Filename
3.png
File size
92.75 KiB
Views
File license

soldering caps is ok, SMD can be tricky at some point

Personal GitHub