VOGONS

First post, by Solo761

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So far these Via VT6421A seemed to work OK for me. Detecting modern SATA drives and booting fine for them on Pentium/MMX PCs, as opposed to Silicon Image SIL3114 SATA controllers which detected the drive, but didn't even try to boot from it for some reason. Same SIL card works fine on Athlon XP system, so I guess it's something to do with BIOS + card combo...

Only problem with my VT6421A cards (apart from placeholder BIOS chip it originally had instead of real thing) is that it doesn't have connector for HDD activity LED

Pic02.JPG
Filename
Pic02.JPG
File size
438.72 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

While SIL card has one. And that annoys me 😬.
So I looked for VT6421A datasheet and was lucky to find what I was looking for!

Pic01.jpg
Filename
Pic01.jpg
File size
163.04 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

SATALED pin on VT6421A sounds what I was looking for.
On my card that pin is connected 3.3V from on board voltage regulator via R31, 4.7k ohm SMD resistor.

Pic03.JPG
Filename
Pic03.JPG
File size
314.29 KiB
Views
File license

So I desoldered the resistor and soldered 47 ohm resistor, not related to 4.7k ohm it had before, it's for HDD LED and since power source is 3.3V you can't go too big or it won't light up. Technically it should be even smaller than 47 ohm but I wanted to start safe.

Pic04.jpg
Filename
Pic04.jpg
File size
490.99 KiB
Views
File license

On the other side I soldered standard 2 pin connector and using a bit of snot (hot glue) I fixed the connector and wires on the board

Pic05.jpg
Filename
Pic05.jpg
File size
454.56 KiB
Views
File license

And it worked! It blinks when there's activity on SSD that's connected to it. I don't know if it'll work for IDE port. With the pin being called SATALED... but there isn't IDELED pin so who knows 🤔. I have no need for it's IDE port so that part was not important to me.

Pic06.jpg

So if someone is also annoyed by lack of activity LED connector on these cheap cards there's a quick fix for it 😀.

Reply 2 of 2, by Solo761

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks!

Forgot to mention, there are other similar cards I've seen around the net. A bit different component placement, but all in all same parts, also without led. This mod should also work for them, one only needs to see where this pin goes, resistor might not be named R31, but same rules apply.