VOGONS

First post, by Velociraptor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have 5 PCs connected up to a KVM to the same monitor, keyboard and mouse. 15 pin VGA and PS/2.

It's a Belkin Omniview and a Ilyama Vision Master.

My S3 card in my MMX PC detected it as mono, so I replaced it with an Ati card to get around that problem. I've now connected a different PC and this one doesn't have an option to change the video card and it's detecting it as mono.

Is there anything I can do to avoid this happening?

Reply 1 of 14, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Which OmniView ? there are many variants. Have you tried a different VGA cable from the computer to the KVM ? Not all cables are created equal.
Sometimes (most of the time) you must have the KVM switched to that vintage computer when it first boots or else oddness can occur based on my experience....which is limited 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 14, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not KVM related, but I've got a card that incorrectly detects my CRT as mono. I need to run a utility called SMONITOR on startup to force colour mode. Details in this thread:

Tseng labs ET4000AX - no color = problem

Reply 3 of 14, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe uses the old VGA ID pin setup to detect monitor...

ID pins set-up

4 11 12
ID2 ID0 ID1

n/c n/c n/c no monitor
n/c n/c GND Mono monitor which does not support 1024x768
n/c GND n/c Color monitor which does not support 1024x768
GND GND n/c Color monitor which supports 1024x768
GND means connected to ground
n/c means that the pin is not connected anywhere

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 5 of 14, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are alternatives to SMONITOR such as TVGAUTIL (also linked in that thread) or COLORON. Worth trying, but feels like a pretty long shot if the first option didn't work.

Reply 6 of 14, by TehGuy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Which S3 and omniview? I've used a few S3 models with the 2 OV kvms I have (a 2-port and a 4-port w audio) and haven't had this issue, but want to be sure you're not using something outside my usage before I start making some suggestions that could be pointless

Win98+DOS: C3 Ezra-T 1.0AGHz / P3-S 1.26GHz, 128MB RAM, AWE64 + Orpheus + Audigy 2 ZS, Ti 4200, 128GB SD card
Win XP SP3: C2Q 9650, 4GB RAM, X-Fi Titanium, GTX 750
PowerMac G4 QS 800MHz + GeForce4 Ti4200, OS 9
PowerMac G5 DP 1.8Ghz + ATi x800 XT, Leopard

Reply 8 of 14, by Velociraptor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Pierre32 wrote on 2022-07-06, 12:05:

There are alternatives to SMONITOR such as TVGAUTIL (also linked in that thread) or COLORON. Worth trying, but feels like a pretty long shot if the first option didn't work.

TVGAUTIL seems to be the archive that contains smonitor. http://files.mpoli.fi/unpacked/hardware/displ … il.zip/utility/ I picked it up from that link.

However the "Color On" utility WORKS!

Brilliant!

Reply 10 of 14, by Velociraptor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is one problem remaining. CLS no longer clears the screen and when I exit something that used a background colour like edit then the screen continues to have the last background colour used.

I'm not sure if that could be fixed as the coloron file does have the source for it. Sadly I don't know any programming at all.

However I don't think it's anything other than a mild annoyance.

Edit : Well what an outcome - running both of the utilities - coloron.com and then smonitor.exe fixes the issue completely as far as I can tell!

So now in my autoexec I'll have coloron, smonitor c, s3black and together all 3 of them will fix my display issues

Reply 11 of 14, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Glad you have it fixed. I have never had any S3 based card issues with S3 Trio, Trio 64, 64+, 3D, Virge, etc from VLB to PCI with any monitor yet, including CRT and newer LCD but will keep a note and link to this just in case I ever run into it.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 12 of 14, by Velociraptor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It may be the KVM. I've got 5 PCs connected to it. 2 have the mono issue and another detects a VGA connection as DVI-D, so I've had to use an active connector. But all 5 connected PCs are currently working with workarounds.

Reply 13 of 14, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This trick works for me, but I have a different KVM:
-Switch the KVM to a different pc (even turned off)
-Turn on the pc that detects the monitor as mono
-After a few seconds switch to the correct pc