VOGONS

First post, by Solo761

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Short question, if anybody knows the answer 🙂.

Is Gigabyte GA-6VXE7+ compatible with Tualatin CPUs?

According to ultimate retro it is. But according to Gigabyte it isn't.

On one hand, I suppose manufacturer should know how things stand. On the other hand who knows if some BIOS update added support and page was simply not updated.

So, before I try and fry the CPU... 😅

Reply 1 of 8, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Natively VIA 693(A) does not support Tualatin, which did not have support until 694T. But if you use a moded CPU, socket or a interposer, then it might work as you can see here: Fastest Tualatin Chipset / Best Pentium III Motherboard

Reply 2 of 8, by Solo761

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Then it's coppermine at best.

I wouldn't want to mess with modding socket as it's irreversible and I haven't been able to find replacement sockets within EU, so I'm wary about drilling pin holes and generally messing with sockets.

Thanks

Reply 3 of 8, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Gigabyte ... _3.0).html

Yes even this site states that, and they are rarely wrong tho..

Sadly most boards are not Tualatin based ones, as that CPU did have short life + it was not mainstream...

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 4 of 8, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Solo761 wrote on 2022-07-08, 22:46:

Then it's coppermine at best.

I wouldn't want to mess with modding socket as it's irreversible and I haven't been able to find replacement sockets within EU, so I'm wary about drilling pin holes and generally messing with sockets.

Thanks

Tualatin based Celerons have been sold on Ebay for a couple of years now, adapted for working in Coppermines based CPU boards. But they're not exactly cheap.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/281931957654?epid=15 … 8gAAOSwqhFgXwQ0

Reply 5 of 8, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Depending of the situation it would also require a modded BIOS if it doesn't perform POST and the Tualatin microcode updates (not necessary, but highly recommended).

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 6 of 8, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Solo761 wrote on 2022-07-08, 11:08:
Short question, if anybody knows the answer 🙂. […]
Show full quote

Short question, if anybody knows the answer 🙂.

Is Gigabyte GA-6VXE7+ compatible with Tualatin CPUs?

According to ultimate retro it is. But according to Gigabyte it isn't.

On one hand, I suppose manufacturer should know how things stand. On the other hand who knows if some BIOS update added support and page was simply not updated.

So, before I try and fry the CPU... 😅

This seems like an error or oversight. But it's definitely incorrect.
GA-6VXE7+ is not compatible with Tualatin, or at least not out of the box.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 8, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Radical Vision wrote on 2022-07-09, 07:30:

https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Gigabyte ... _3.0).html

Yes even this site states that, and they are rarely wrong tho..

Sadly most boards are not Tualatin based ones, as that CPU did have short life + it was not mainstream...

They state all Tualatin Celerons as incompatible, but do list 2 CPUs (one of which is a Tualatin) as if they are compatible with that board, but I presume they meant this CPU RB80526RY005128 / BX80526F1100128 which is a Coppermine-based Celeron.

This CPU RK80530RY005256 / BX80530F1100256 mentioned on that site is marked with the orange band, which indicates it may or may not work with this board.
Personally I doubt this CPU will work with that board.

Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 8, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another example is the listing for the ABit AB-SL30T https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/motherboards/6981 which should also support Coppermines (I'm not 100% sure on this, but I don't know any s370 board that supports Tualatin, but doesn't support any Coppermine so I suspect the omitting of Coppermine on that particular page to be incorrect as well).

But anyway, it's always best to gather what information you can, official manuals would be best, though may be incomplete.

Report spammers here!