VOGONS

First post, by SkoddL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, first time poster here and hoping the experienced Vogons community can help me with a difficult decision.

I am downsizing my old pc collection and need to decide which 3 tower cases to keep for some retro builds. I currently have:

- Generic Beige tower #1, unknown PSU (current celeron build)
- Generic Beige tower #2, unknown PSU (current athlon xp build)
- Black Antec SX1030B, Enermax 460W PSU (current P4 build)
- Black Cooler Master Wave Master TAC-T01, Enermax 600W PSU (spare case)
- Silver Cooler Master Cavalier CAV-C01, Enermax 600W PSU (spare case)

I am tossing up between getting rid of the 2 beige cases (after transferring to contents to the other cases), or keep the beige cases and get rid of 2 of the others.

Not planning on doing any OC'ing, just need to decide which cases would be the best to keep for nice simple Celeron, Athlon XP and P4 builds.

Which cases would you keep if you were in a similar position?

Also, should I swap any of the PSU's around? Is there any issues running the older Celeron/Athlon builds on the 600W Enermax PSU's

Attachments

Reply 3 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes keep the beige ! Hard to find those now. Black is black no matter the make/model and are easy to find 😁

SkoddL wrote on 2022-07-09, 14:35:

Also, should I swap any of the PSU's around? Is there any issues running the older Celeron/Athlon builds on the 600W Enermax PSU's

Depends on the +5V Amps, Athlons want lots amps off that line............

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 6 of 9, by SkoddL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the useful opinions! Currently leaning towards keeping the 2 beige towers (they are the original cases I bought for those builds at the time) and the silver cavalier.

The black cooler master is great, has a slide out MB tray, but doesn't look and feel as nice as the cavalier up close.

The Antec is a really fantastic case, but it is a bit too large for my liking and storage space. Wish it was a bit shorter. If it was considered far better than the cooler masters I would find a way to keep it instead.

I'd check if any of these could be fully disassembled

I checked and unfortunately it doesn't look like any of them can be easily disassembled.

as long as you don't throw anything away just keep the two you like most.

Not going to throw anything out. I will find a new home for whatever I can't keep.

Reply 7 of 9, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SkoddL wrote on 2022-07-10, 04:24:

Thanks for the useful opinions! Currently leaning towards keeping the 2 beige towers (they are the original cases I bought for those builds at the time) and the silver cavalier.

well in that case I'd choose those over the cooler masters x3
things I originally bought back in the day (if that's what you mean) have a lot more sentimental value

Reply 8 of 9, by SkoddL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, that is what I mean.

The beige "Pacman" as Majestyk coined is actually nice for a generic beige case from the time. Has some ok rear vents for fans and slotted vents at the top of the side panels.

The cooler master/antec cases are technically better, but I have less sentimental attachment to those. Will keep one for a P4 build though.

Reply 9 of 9, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have build back in teh '90 one computer whit the Black Cooler Master Wave Master TAC-T01, and it is very well build, but too much strange whit it's shape. Mine is alluminiun not painted, much visually better. But the best of the best is the one on the right black painted (i had the withe version and i must say... it is much much better white). So, the Antec is THE workstation/supercomputer case of the PII/P3 era, all my frends buy that in that era, it's shape in absolutely futuristic,elegant,strong,well built, years ahead of everyone. if I wanted to rebuild an assembled computer I would definitely choose that (but white version, and the first one without the USB on the front).