VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't have any small 80MB-504MB hard drives but I do have a 10GB Maxtor is there a way to select the cylinders, heads and sectors to be around the 500MB mark for my 286 to work, my Bios has up to 46 hard drive types and a user setting (47). I don't have an XTide but would DDO Dynamic drive overlay work on a 286 12MHz?

The 10.1 GB Maxtor settings are:
Cylinders: 16383
Heads: 16
Sectors: 63

Reply 1 of 5, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Those used to have a jumper to limit to 8.2gb.

With a bios upgrade or the XT ide project you should be able to handle the drive.

Dos 6.2 is best for a drive that big

If you want you could try using a 540mb setting and just using the drive, understand that the drive will then only work in that 286 and that unpredictable things could happen

Reply 3 of 5, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If I were you I'd find a small (512MB or less) CF or SD card instead of using a multi-gigabyte HDD (you'll need an adapter anyway).

My smallest working SD, CF, and HDD are 16MB, 48MB, and 540MB, respectively.

Reply 4 of 5, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ontrack DM 9.57 works just great on 286/8 with 4x2GB on an 8GB CF Card, you can also make use of more with additional 2GB Partitions, but that comes with a cost.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 5 of 5, by karakarga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have used Seagate Disc Manager at that time with my Compaq Deskpro 4/66i to boot with a Seagate 20GB Barracuda drive with a single partition. A blue ribbon was appearing on top when passing DOS screen. But, as you know, because of the bus limitation, you can only use up to 2 MB/s speed! Maxtor later bought by Seagate, so the Seagate program works with Maxtor drives as well.