VOGONS

First post, by BLockOUT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today i got one of these crazy , but awesome looking motherboards that have copper heat pipes that look like a roller coaster,
I think MSI went crazy mode ON with this but i love it, i have never seen something like this before.

The board came with a Q6600 also! could not be more happy + 4gb of kingston ram and with its IO shield. One strange thing i saw is that when you power it on it turns on and turns off and turns on again. But after changing the coin battery it fixed itself.

Sadly i am missing the windows XP and windows Vista drivers CDs.

The markings on the CDs should be :
G71-MI31011-X03
G71-MIB1001-X03

I wanted to know if someone else at vogons has this same motherboard complete, Maybe you can share the Disc iso image.

MSI-Launches-The-X38-Diamond-Motherboard-2.jpg
cds.png

Reply 1 of 24, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All these does not need any special drivers, just Intel chipset for P35 is enough, then rest of drivers for the cards. If you have audio chipset (realtek), a typical realtek driver for that chip is sufficient. For lan chipset, same process of finding a driver for it. Does not need to have these CDs, and they were out of date anyway.

I still have Asus P5K that I bought new with pentium dual core then E8600, after retired it, I modded the bios to take modded quad xeon 771 socket CPU, does work too.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 3 of 24, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used to own this board's younger cousin, the P45 Platinum. I can't recall specifics, but I had a very rough experience with that board after flashing the latest beta BIOS which added a GUI that attempted to emulate then emerging UEFIs' implementations of similar GUIs. Unfortunately, it felt like it was duct-taped and not really well-thought or tested for that matter. The board would also present issues with POSTing after that update. I seem to recall that BIOS update to also offer some EFI features, but I could be wrong and I can't find details anymore.

My greatest gripe was that for all its features and fancy roller-coaster passive cooler, it left a lot to be desired in the OC department. Anyway, to answer your question, I don't have the CDs, but maybe you can find them on the Internet Archive which would allow you at least make copies of them or use bundled software and whatnot.

Reply 4 of 24, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wanted one of those back in the day cause I look awesome and it was a great performer. I've had quite a few motherboards appear dead untill I replaced the bios battery. My EVGA 680i boards to the same thing when their batteries get low all kinds of craziness happens.

Reply 5 of 24, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

MSI for sure went balls out with the cooper on their P35/P45 Palatinum boards, Gigabyte did too On their Extreme DQ series boards which had a huge copper cooling radiator as part of the kit, sadly most MSI platinum boards I have run across are either dead or have serious IO issues/Damaged ram slots.

I would love a P45 Platinum for my 775 collection along with the Gigabyte P45-T Extreme both of which are unobtanium so far.

If your board is complete and working OP, I would seriously consider only using it sparingly and keep an eye on the caps, its such a lovely example of copper cooling madness of the 775 ERA a board worth keeping in top condition.

Reply 6 of 24, by BLockOUT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-07-15, 12:26:

MSI for sure went balls out with the cooper on their P35/P45 Palatinum boards, Gigabyte did too On their Extreme DQ series boards which had a huge copper cooling radiator as part of the kit, sadly most MSI platinum boards I have run across are either dead or have serious IO issues/Damaged ram slots.

I would love a P45 Platinum for my 775 collection along with the Gigabyte P45-T Extreme both of which are unobtanium so far.

If your board is complete and working OP, I would seriously consider only using it sparingly and keep an eye on the caps, its such a lovely example of copper cooling madness of the 775 ERA a board worth keeping in top condition.

absolutly, the only strange thing about this board is like the pcb bended a bit around the cpu, maybe this was normal during the 775 stock intel cooler era?
thats why im looking for a copy of the original discs!

Reply 7 of 24, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BLockOUT wrote on 2022-07-15, 16:30:

absolutly, the only strange thing about this board is like the pcb bended a bit around the cpu, maybe this was normal during the 775 stock intel cooler era?
thats why im looking for a copy of the original discs!

It was pretty normal with some aftermarket coolers due to not having a backplate as part of the retention system, the more expensive coolers had backplates that eliminated the bending, stock Intel coolers didn't normally exert enough force on the board to bend it. (Heavy copper coolers can also do it due to weight)

Reply 9 of 24, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BLockOUT wrote on 2022-07-15, 17:49:

this one had the stock intel cooler and around the cpu area it looks a little bit bended, but it works, i will only use it using a cooler that has a backplate tho.

Likely not the cooler that it was using when last in service, a lot of sellers will remove the huge aftermarket coolers as they are simply too heavy to send through the mail still attached to the board, the Intel cooler is small and light so it gets shoved back on the board to complete the set.

Though I have seen Intel coolers bend boards if the holes in the board are slightly out of place from the factory or if the previous owner has had to use excessive force locking it down with the stupid twist pin setup Intel loved at the time.

Reply 10 of 24, by BLockOUT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh panda, maybe you know, but why does a motherboard like this need an 8pin p4 power connector + PLUS a molex connector near the video slot?
the manual says that the molex connector is for videocard. i found that odd, for example a geforce 8800gt needs its own power cables.

Reply 11 of 24, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BLockOUT wrote on 2022-07-18, 01:40:

Oh panda, maybe you know, but why does a motherboard like this need an 8pin p4 power connector + PLUS a molex connector near the video slot?
the manual says that the molex connector is for videocard. i found that odd, for example a geforce 8800gt needs its own power cables.

Its to help keep voltage to the GPU slot stable and to supply a little extra, its not really needed if you have a good PSU that can deliver stable voltages and amps. If you have a weak PSU that cant deliver stable voltage or not enough then you could plug in a molex and the +5v rail will help.

I have never found a reason to use it even with GPUs that only rely on the slot for power, that said there might be special use cases for specialized GPUs that need more power than the slot provides but dont have their own power socket.

Reply 12 of 24, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

MSI for sure went balls out with the cooper on their P35/P45 Palatinum boards,

Hardly. The heatpipes are only copper-plated and are empty, not solid. MSI went balls out faking it for marketing purposes. These things are marginally less useful than say tube amplifiers (noisily) connected to crappy AC'97 audio on some AOpen boards from a similar period.

Reply 13 of 24, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote on 2022-07-18, 10:40:

Hardly. The heatpipes are only copper-plated and are empty, not solid. MSI went balls out faking it for marketing purposes. These things are marginally less useful than say tube amplifiers (noisily) connected to crappy AC'97 audio on some AOpen boards from a similar period.

Heat pipes have to be hollow tubes as they have a wick and phase changing liquid inside of them. If they were solid they would be useless. Heat pipes are a form of vapor chamber cooling.

Reply 14 of 24, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-07-18, 11:01:
dionb wrote on 2022-07-18, 10:40:

Heat pipes have to be hollow tubes as they have a wick and phase changing liquid inside of them. If they were solid they would be useless. Heat pipes are a form of vapor chamber cooling.

Yes, I dont know why people think they are meant to be solid copper .. would be next to useless aside from scrap value.

Reply 15 of 24, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-07-18, 11:01:

[...]

Er no, solid copper conducts fine and is the basis of most heat pipes. Phase change is also pretty nice, but by no means necessary.

Anyway, not relevant here, as there's no wick, no phase change in these. Pure air.

Reply 16 of 24, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From my understanding this is how a heat pipe system works. The heat boils the fluid and pushes the fluid vapor to the colder region of the heat pipe. The colder region, which is typically coupled to a heat sink, is known as “the Condenser”. The fluid gives up its latent heat and condenses back to a liquid, and is again absorbed in the wick structure.

Not trying to start a fight but can you cite your proof that MSI's system has no wick or working fluid? If that whole setup was just for show the temps would be awful and I would think that would of been discovered back in the day with all the reviews on the board.

Reply 17 of 24, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-07-18, 16:00:

From my understanding this is how a heat pipe system works. The heat boils the fluid and pushes the fluid vapor to the colder region of the heat pipe. The colder region, which is typically coupled to a heat sink, is known as “the Condenser”. The fluid gives up its latent heat and condenses back to a liquid, and is again absorbed in the wick structure.

Not trying to start a fight but can you cite your proof that MSI's system has no wick or working fluid? If that whole setup was just for show the temps would be awful and I would think that would of been discovered back in the day with all the reviews on the board.

If you can read Dutch, here's a forum post from 9 years ago where someone broke his and nothing came out:
https://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_messages/1552867
In that topic I also mention a friend (an admittedly biased, as he worked for Gigabyte at the time) having shown me that the "VRM" part of the heatsink on one of those MSI rollercoaster boards didn't even make contact with the VRMs, although hearsay and quoting myself hardly qualifies as hardest of evidence.

And as for temps awful - these fancy boards didn't overclock one bit better than boards with simple, effective discrete heatsinks. Take a look here:
https://www.techspot.com/article/61-intel-p35 … dup/page24.html
(no MSI due to them getting cold feet about the comparison...)
The P5K Deluxe with its rollercoaster clocked highest, but differences were small and despite higher clock it didn't actually manage to perform better in most benchmarks. Best score in SuperPi even came from a cheapo ECS P35T-A with minimal pipeless heatsinks, and in case of the three Gigabyte boards that differed basically only in heatsinks, max stable clock was exactly the same and the one without any heatsinks performed best in four out of eight overclocking benchmarks.

Here is a roundup of P35 boards that all have heatpipes and does include the P35 Platinum.
https://techreport.com/review/12747/five-flav … press-compared/
The P35 Platinum performs essentially identically to the Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 covered in the previous review.

I stand by my statement that these extravagant heatsinks had no functional use, and that there was definitely one MSI rollercoaster board that had absolutely nothing in the hollow 'heatpipe'. You could cut all the pipes on a board and it would still work just as well.

Reply 18 of 24, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm cannot find those exact CD's but the P35 chipset was code named "BearLake" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_P35) and these two CD's (g71-mi31016 and g71-mib1006)
are just a bit newer (both these dated 10/2007) than those in your picture but contain lots of Intel and "bearlake" stuff and are probably the best you might find.
Noted that the first BIOS 1.0 for the P35 Platinum is dated 5/2007. The XP cd does have the Realtek Audio and Realtek PCIe LAN drivers.
XP driver CD: https://archive.org/details/g-71-mi-31016 Vista driver cd: https://archive.org/details/g-71-mib-1006

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 19 of 24, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote on 2022-07-18, 20:16:
If you can read Dutch, here's a forum post from 9 years ago where someone broke his and nothing came out: https://gathering.twea […]
Show full quote
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-07-18, 16:00:

If you can read Dutch, here's a forum post from 9 years ago where someone broke his and nothing came out:
https://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_messages/1552867
In that topic I also mention a friend (an admittedly biased, as he worked for Gigabyte at the time) having shown me that the "VRM" part of the heatsink on one of those MSI rollercoaster boards didn't even make contact with the VRMs, although hearsay and quoting myself hardly qualifies as hardest of evidence.

And as for temps awful - these fancy boards didn't overclock one bit better than boards with simple, effective discrete heatsinks. Take a look here:
https://www.techspot.com/article/61-intel-p35 … dup/page24.html
(no MSI due to them getting cold feet about the comparison...)
The P5K Deluxe with its rollercoaster clocked highest, but differences were small and despite higher clock it didn't actually manage to perform better in most benchmarks. Best score in SuperPi even came from a cheapo ECS P35T-A with minimal pipeless heatsinks, and in case of the three Gigabyte boards that differed basically only in heatsinks, max stable clock was exactly the same and the one without any heatsinks performed best in four out of eight overclocking benchmarks.

Here is a roundup of P35 boards that all have heatpipes and does include the P35 Platinum.
https://techreport.com/review/12747/five-flav … press-compared/
The P35 Platinum performs essentially identically to the Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 covered in the previous review.

I stand by my statement that these extravagant heatsinks had no functional use, and that there was definitely one MSI rollercoaster board that had absolutely nothing in the hollow 'heatpipe'. You could cut all the pipes on a board and it would still work just as well.

The amount of fluid in typical heat pipes is very low. Nothing will spill if you cut one open because the very small amount of fluid is held in the wicking structure by capillary action. Typically the pipe will also be at near vacuum.
A two phase thermosiphon uses larger amounts of fluid and relies on gravity to transport condensed fluid back to the boiler.

I can not be sure MSI has been using actual heatpipes on their boards but not noticing any fluid when cutting one open does not prove the opposite.