VOGONS

First post, by lavadrop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is my second build.
It's an ASUS A7S333 with a SiS745 chipset and an AMD Athlon XP 1800+:

• 2 Gb RAM, PC2700
    Gainward Geforce FX5700 Ultra 128Mb AGP 8X (board only supports 4X)
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2
    Samsung SH-C522C (TS-H192C) CD-ROM PIO mode 4, DMA MW2, UDMA 2 (master, secondary IDE, jumper set accordingly)
    Crucial 275 Gb SSD SATA3, connected through the Startech IDE2SAT2, Marvell 8052 Chipset (master, primary IDE, jumper set accordingly)
    2 Ultra ATA cables, not shielded.

System posts, then after initial configuration I reboot and then the system hangs after initial test, I can't even boot from the CD-ROM to install Windows XP. There are no errors, no beeps, memory is recognized.

After this, every attempt to enter BIOS hangs the system. Only way to enter is to clear CMOS and restart.

Any ideas?

Reply 3 of 23, by lavadrop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone!

This is a little embarrassing and I still don't know what happened but the system is now working.

First, I removed the IDE cables from the motherboard and I kept getting long beeps indicating a DRAM error.
Then I removed the RAM and put in a little 128 Mb DDR 133 stick that came with the board. Same DRAM error.
The following afternoon (today) I reinstalled the 2 sticks of PC2700 RAM and again, the noise. I started moving the sticks around and notice that one of the sticks worked if I used the third DIMM slot. So I tried again, reseating the RAM on slots 1-2 and then noticed the case fan wasn't spinning. I checked the connection and noticed the extension wasn't properly connected to the low-noise adaptor. I fixed that and tried again and voilá, the motherboard booted with the 2 sticks I originally installed, but sans any drives.
So, now, I connected the CD-ROM unit only on the secondary IDE interface and it was detected and it booted off the Windows XP disk. Then I connected the primary interface cable that is connected to the IDE2SAT2 card and miraculously it worked now. Unfortunately, the Windows XP installation froze. I again reset it but now I configured the "HDD" to be LBA but with a UDMA speed of 2 instead of 5 and now the drive is working, already formatted the install partition. I thought the install would be much faster but it's taking almost 2 hours.

I hope that's normal for a SATA3 drive through an IDE2SATA converter. I already ordered a proper shielded cable to use UDMA mode in the future.

Edit: nope, there’s something wrong here, install is barely at 5% after 30 minutes of “copying files”.

Reply 4 of 23, by lavadrop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-07-17, 21:55:

Post pictures of memory modules please.

Cheers,

These are the modules:

BBBF0CE9-3D2C-4F48-BA22-1157F502C90C.jpeg
Filename
BBBF0CE9-3D2C-4F48-BA22-1157F502C90C.jpeg
File size
1.91 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 5 of 23, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One of these is 2GB and other one is 1GB. That's the problem.

I read the manual for this motherboard, only accept 1GB modules. Up to 3GB total using three 1GB modules.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 7 of 23, by lavadrop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The weirdness continues.

I removed one of the sticks and cleared CMOS. Booted up and motherboard complains with memory error beeps.
I take out my POST card and remove all PCI cards.
Reboot and POST card reports C3 error: OEM-specific- Test to size on-board memory.

While I was looking up the error code, beeping stopped and error changed to a code without description but beeping changed to keyboard controller error. Plugged in USB keyboard and rebooted. Same keyboard error through beeps but no error code on POST card.

I removed the POST card, re-inserted my AGP card and rebooted.

Worked. BIOS asking for processor speed. Motherboard detects 1 Gb RAM. Left everything IDE to Auto. Rebooted. Frozen again.
Cleared CMOS again, rebooted and back in BIOS. This time I changed IDE devices to Primary= User defined HDD, auto detected size, PIO 4, UDMA 2.
Secondary= CD ROM, PIO 4, UDMA 2.
Rebooted. Boots into WinXP install CD, fails with “ntldr is missing” error. Reboot.

Now goes into install program, install fails with “There is a syntax error in the .SIF file that setup uses at line 283.”

Takes out CD, CD surface is pristine, no scratches at all.

Reboots. Same error.

Help 😩

Reply 8 of 23, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, I stand behind what I said;

I know the kingston part numbers well.

Anything after "/" is size. You have /1G and /2G, which is 1GB and 2GB.

Try to get 16 chips 1GB module instead? Also can use DDR400 in your board. I like Micron, Hynix and Samsung, Infineon. Even Kingston is good but I most prefer OEM brands best.

For example, Micron;

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/185214885395?epid=223 … -AAAOSwEflhuRuS

Cheers,

Reply 9 of 23, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just to be sure, have you had a careful look at the capacitors for any sign of failure?
I still like to run Memtest86 from a floppy disk, but there are many different ways; I think you should pick one and give it a try: https://www.memtest.org/#downiso

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 10 of 23, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-07-20, 00:14:

Just to be sure, have you had a careful look at the capacitors for any sign of failure?
I still like to run Memtest86 from a floppy disk, but there are many different ways; I think you should pick one and give it a try: https://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Oh, I agree, let have a good photo of your motherboard around the CPU and memory slots to show the capacitors in that area?

Cheers,

Reply 11 of 23, by lavadrop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-07-19, 23:25:
Yes, I stand behind what I said; […]
Show full quote

Yes, I stand behind what I said;

I know the kingston part numbers well.

Anything after "/" is size. You have /1G and /2G, which is 1GB and 2GB.

Try to get 16 chips 1GB module instead? Also can use DDR400 in your board. I like Micron, Hynix and Samsung, Infineon. Even Kingston is good but I most prefer OEM brands best.

For example, Micron;

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/185214885395?epid=223 … -AAAOSwEflhuRuS

Cheers,

I have a pair of DDR400, 512 Mb set, I'll try with that one.

Reply 12 of 23, by lavadrop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-07-20, 00:27:
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-07-20, 00:14:

Oh, I agree, let have a good photo of your motherboard around the CPU and memory slots to show the capacitors in that area?

Cheers,

Sure:

512F54BC-ED7A-4D7F-A015-97614104D17D.jpeg
Filename
512F54BC-ED7A-4D7F-A015-97614104D17D.jpeg
File size
89.58 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
808F6414-DA6E-4A0D-96CE-0298960968C8.jpeg
Filename
808F6414-DA6E-4A0D-96CE-0298960968C8.jpeg
File size
92.2 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
35219531-AE4D-4B99-ABAC-3A063ECAEA33.jpeg
Filename
35219531-AE4D-4B99-ABAC-3A063ECAEA33.jpeg
File size
95.02 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
D10815AB-F443-4A31-AA90-F27D05784031.jpeg
Filename
D10815AB-F443-4A31-AA90-F27D05784031.jpeg
File size
96.59 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
AC5C217C-1779-4741-914C-C4876398327C.jpeg
Filename
AC5C217C-1779-4741-914C-C4876398327C.jpeg
File size
81.47 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 13 of 23, by lavadrop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think I know what happened now.
I changed the memory to PC3200 512 Mb. Kept getting memory error beeps.
Cold booted again. No beeping, straight to BIOS boot. There’s a BIOS warning that the system halted because of a CPU speed error. I lowered the speed from 1533 MHz to 1150 MHz and the FSB lowered from 133 to 100, effectively lowering RAM speed to 266. Also changed HDD from PIO 4 to PIO 0.
I just installed Windows XP without any issues.

Why is this motherboard unstable at 1533 MHz?

Reply 14 of 23, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How strong is the + five volt on the power supply you're using? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efK7mw8eYiE

I'm not familiar with this chipset, so I don't know how hot the northbridge chip runs, but it couldn't hurt anything to remove the heatsink from it and apply fresh thermal paste. I make sure to do that with any older motherboard I use, but especially on the ones where I know that chip runs on the hotter side; after twenty+ years the original thermal paste is little better than chalk.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 16 of 23, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is your heatsink on the right way round? Typically the push down side of the clip is opposite to the thick side of the socket where it says "Socket A" but it appears to be on that thick side. Bad HSF install means overheat crashes. It was not really a standard, but the majority of heatsinks I've had would install the opposite way round to way you have yours so double check install instructions for that one if you believe you have it the right way round.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 17 of 23, by lavadrop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I positioned the heat sink according to the manual, with the larger edge facing the opposite side from the port side of the motherboard. The idle temperature of the processor is 40 Celsius. I think it’s not possible for this motherboard to install it backwards, since the capacitors get in the way.

Reply 18 of 23, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hard to say where that idle temp falls without running the board myself, socket A were all over the place, some I'd have at 26 or 27 idle and 35-40 load, some would go 40 idle 55 load.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 19 of 23, by lavadrop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just checked the heatsink again, I placed the fixed tab on the side close to the ports and the push-down tab on the side next to the DIMM slots and where the Socket A writing is.

Like in this video: https://youtu.be/K5s6-CAKiV0?t=247