VOGONS

Reply 20 of 23, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yah, dollar store Jeff Goldblum's sink is the right way round for that. It's easy to tell if you've got the step, if it's a copper core slug, make sure that's what is sitting on top of the core.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 22 of 23, by lavadrop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-07-20, 21:09:

How strong is the + five volt on the power supply you're using? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efK7mw8eYiE

I'm not familiar with this chipset, so I don't know how hot the northbridge chip runs, but it couldn't hurt anything to remove the heatsink from it and apply fresh thermal paste. I make sure to do that with any older motherboard I use, but especially on the ones where I know that chip runs on the hotter side; after twenty+ years the original thermal paste is little better than chalk.

Holy ridiculously hard push-pins, I’m having a lot of problems removing them from the northbridge.

Reply 23 of 23, by lavadrop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks everyone for your input.
Unfortunately a capacitor just blew up on my PSU. I’ll have to take a break with this system while I find someone to fix it ( just took a glance inside and it’s pretty bad, corrosion, leaked capacitors) or go on the hunt for a heavy 5v rail PSU.
Or the last option is to get a P4 motherboard and processor instead with a new PSU.

So long and thanks for all the fish!