VOGONS

First post, by jvlobo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!
I recently got a non-working Toshiba Libretto 70CT (with no hard drive).

When I press de on/off button, it turns on (according to the LED). And then it turns back off after ~30 seconds.
I was able to find a suitable 1GB hard-drive and I've tried turning it on with the hard drive too (as I've read somewhere that the Libretto may not show anything on the screen if it doesn't have a hard drive). The hard drive I formatted on FAT16 and added some files that I found on archive.org and when I turn it on, it seems like it tries to read the hard drive for a second, but then nothing else happens, it turns back off again after around 30 seconds.

Here are a couple of videos showing what I just described:

With no hard drive
With hard drive

I've been investigating online, there is not much information about this computer. I'm not sure what the problem may be. I've tried to flash some light on the display, in case the backlight is not working, but I can't see anything going on. And sadly I have no way to connect it to an external display.
At this point I'm out of ideas. I would appreciate it if someone has any tips on what I could do to try to understand what is the problem with the computer.
Thanks in advanced.

Reply 2 of 9, by jvlobo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2022-07-23, 22:24:

Considering the display bezel condition there is a possibility that there is a problem with a display.

Thanks for your reply 😀

The problem is that the plastic is super brittle. It had a couple of small cracks when I got it but I disassembled it and it started falling to pieces. But inside the frame everything looks quite good to be honest.

Reply 4 of 9, by jvlobo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks 😀

Actually I already fully disassembled it. I wanted to check the main board and I took some measurements with the multimeter in case I found any shorts or the correct voltage not coming in or something like that. But I haven't been able to find anything yet.

Reply 5 of 9, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Toshiba Libretto 50CT and 70CT - Maintenance Manual says as follows:

NOTE: When starting the computer in Resume mode, the last configuration is remembered. If data does not appear on the display you are using after starting in Resume mode, press Fn+F5. Pressing Fn+F5 changes the display setting as follows: internal LCD, to simultaneous, to external CRT.

Did you try it?

Reply 6 of 9, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you successfully installed a nekkid boot HDD to a computer before? Formatted it, made a primary partition, set the partition active and transferred system files correctly? Because skip any of those steps and it might be going "Nope, nothing to boot here."

edit: derp, insert "format reserving space for system files, or with the /sys switch" as step after setting active.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 7 of 9, by jvlobo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2022-07-23, 23:56:

Toshiba Libretto 50CT and 70CT - Maintenance Manual says as follows:

NOTE: When starting the computer in Resume mode, the last configuration is remembered. If data does not appear on the display you are using after starting in Resume mode, press Fn+F5. Pressing Fn+F5 changes the display setting as follows: internal LCD, to simultaneous, to external CRT.

Did you try it?

Thanks. I hadn't tried that yet. I just tried and it doesn't seem to make a difference.
I've found the maintenance manual so I'll be reading it to see if I find something 😀

BitWrangler wrote on 2022-07-24, 02:19:

Have you successfully installed a nekkid boot HDD to a computer before? Formatted it, made a primary partition, set the partition active and transferred system files correctly? Because skip any of those steps and it might be going "Nope, nothing to boot here."

edit: derp, insert "format reserving space for system files, or with the /sys switch" as step after setting active.

Thanks for your answer!
I have not done that before, nope... so probably my hard drive is not how it should be.
Do you have more information about that process? something I can read and learn? so I make sure I'm doing it correctly.

Reply 8 of 9, by adalbert

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is the mainboard free of corrosion/battery leaks? There is a Ni-Mh RTC battery connected with a short cable in this laptop.

Repair/electronic stuff videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/adalbertfix
ISA Wi-fi + USB in T3200SXC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX30t3lYezs
GUI programming for Windows 3.11 (the easy way): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6L272OApVg

Reply 9 of 9, by jvlobo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The board looks pretty clean actually. There was no battery when I got the computer, I guess the previous owner removed it.

Here are some pictures so you can see the state of the main board:

IMG_1886.jpeg
Filename
IMG_1886.jpeg
File size
449.1 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_1887.jpeg
Filename
IMG_1887.jpeg