VOGONS

First post, by Ethaniel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My foolishness continues! This time, I was able to find a cheap LPT PCI card locally. The seller warned me that he lost the CD with the drivers, but I just said «don't worry, I'll find them on the Internet». Yeeeeeeaaaaah...

02.jpg
Filename
02.jpg
File size
194.57 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
04.jpg
Filename
04.jpg
File size
269.6 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
06.jpg
Filename
06.jpg
File size
286.46 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
07.jpg
Filename
07.jpg
File size
276.6 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The card is an Exsys EX-4006, with DOS support. The official page offers drivers for the EX-4006A, but it turns out it's a completely different card. The DOS utility doesn't even recognize it, and the XP drivers call for a different vendor and subsystem ID.

The 4006A says: PCI\VEN_1409&DEV_7268&SUBSYS_01011409
My card reports: PCI\VEN_10B5&DEV_9050&SUBSYS_4006D84D

The Archive has a CD with Exsys drivers, but no 4006/4006A in there. FCC ID was no help. I also tried to mod the INF, no dice. Old versions of the Exsys page mention one driver, «PLX-Version_2.3.zip», which seems to be the right one for my card because there is a PLX 9050 chip on it. Sadly, the Archive doesn't have a copy, and Google just throws garbage. Exsys was very kind to answer my e-mails in English (I believe the company is in Germany), but they don't have copies anymore.

My chances are very slim, but if you know something, anything about this card and its driver, please let me know! Maybe there's an FTP server out there...

(P.S.: Is Marvin the right place for this?)

Reply 2 of 58, by Ethaniel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2022-07-26, 00:31:

Good find, but only the eeprom.zip and the readme file are archived. 🙁

Reply 3 of 58, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ethaniel wrote on 2022-07-26, 00:49:

Are you ultimately trying to use it under DOS, or Windows? Is it one of those things where ultimately you just need to figure out what the I/O ports and IRQ are as assigned by your PCI BIOS?

Reply 4 of 58, by Ethaniel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2022-07-26, 01:24:

Are you ultimately trying to use it under DOS, or Windows? Is it one of those things where ultimately you just need to figure out what the I/O ports and IRQ are as assigned by your PCI BIOS?

DOS would be ideal, XP if possible but not critical. I honestly don't know if the card is offering/presenting/generating the necessary address and IRQ. Is there some sort of reliable «port detection» for DOS? I know there's a version of HWINFO for DOS, but I ignore if it's appropriate for this...

Reply 5 of 58, by underthebridge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I gave this a try but found it difficult and gave up. The card is pre-2000 and they seem to have removed the drivers from web pages in later years.
I pasted some links as to how far I got if may be helpful. You might try googling the filenames.

https://web.archive.org/web/20000303181304/ht … e/download.html
(from from https://web.archive.org/web/19991013040723/http://exsys.de/)

https://web.archive.org/web/20000609230342/ht … 0/download.html

https://web.archive.org/web/20011122153708/ww … l_pci_io_de.htm
(from from https://web.archive.org/web/20010224072215/ht … ch/englisch.htm )

Reply 6 of 58, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Presently there's an EXSYS EX-4021 serial ISA card on sale on eBay in Poland (can't link the auction as it's not allowed, should be easy to find) - bit overpriced at US$45, but looks to have the driver CD included which says it has "PCI I/O Vers 2.3" in its contents, from the wonderful days of multi-product driver CDs. Possibly not the solution you're after, given you got the LPT card cheap.

Reply 7 of 58, by Ethaniel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
JidaiGeki wrote on 2022-07-26, 03:04:

Presently there's an EXSYS EX-4021 serial ISA card on sale on eBay in Poland (can't link the auction as it's not allowed, should be easy to find) - bit overpriced at US$45, but looks to have the driver CD included which says it has "PCI I/O Vers 2.3" in its contents, from the wonderful days of multi-product driver CDs. Possibly not the solution you're after, given you got the LPT card cheap.

Having a picture of the CD is a gigantic step in the right direction, and it seems to be exactly what I need. Thanks anyway!

Reply 8 of 58, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Could always see about messaging the seller and seeing if he would be willing to copy the CD and email you the drivers. Sometimes sellers are super nice

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 9 of 58, by Ethaniel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ODwilly wrote on 2022-07-26, 03:39:

Could always see about messaging the seller and seeing if he would be willing to copy the CD and email you the drivers. Sometimes sellers are super nice

That would be my next step IF eBay allows me to access my account. Probably blocked for lack of activity or something.

Reply 10 of 58, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ethaniel wrote on 2022-07-26, 01:58:

DOS would be ideal, XP if possible but not critical. I honestly don't know if the card is offering/presenting/generating the necessary address and IRQ. Is there some sort of reliable «port detection» for DOS? I know there's a version of HWINFO for DOS, but I ignore if it's appropriate for this...

On Linux you would need the output of lspci -vv. I believe there is a DOS port of lspci out there.

Reply 11 of 58, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ethaniel wrote on 2022-07-26, 04:18:

That would be my next step IF eBay allows me to access my account. Probably blocked for lack of activity or something.

Maybe give these a try; downloaded from the makers (Sunix) archived website - covers DOS /Win 3.x, Win 9x, Win 2K & Win NT4

Filename
Sunix_PCIIO_Drivers.zip
File size
1.06 MiB
Downloads
51 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 12 of 58, by Ethaniel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2022-07-26, 09:51:
Ethaniel wrote on 2022-07-26, 04:18:

Maybe give these a try; downloaded from the makers (Sunix) archived website - covers DOS /Win 3.x, Win 9x, Win 2K & Win NT4

Sunix_PCIIO_Drivers.zip

I've already tried those. Sadly, they don't work. But thanks anyway!

Reply 13 of 58, by Ethaniel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2022-07-26, 05:27:

On Linux you would need the output of lspci -vv. I believe there is a DOS port of lspci out there.

No need, I have a pendrive with a live version of Bodhi Linux, the result of lspci -vv is in the image. What I don't understand is the two addresses. Which one is it? I'd believe it's a800 because of the «size=8» thing...

IMG_20220726_164601.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220726_164601.jpg
File size
404.63 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 14 of 58, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm in the Win9x driver provided by PC Hoarder the .INF list these:
%String2%=PCIMIOSect,PCI\VEN_1409&DEV_7168
%String2%=PCIMIOSect,PCI\VEN_1409&DEV_7268
Theoretically it should work since it does list the same HW ID. Perhaps the card does not like your motherboard ? Or as in the FAQ's at www.exsys.com.tw you may have to do a second reboot after first installing the card..
Also it said you must flash the EEPROM before using v2.3+ drivers or maybe I misread that...
just thinking out loud 😉

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 15 of 58, by Ethaniel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2022-07-26, 22:59:
Hmm in the Win9x driver provided by PC Hoarder the .INF list these: %String2%=PCIMIOSect,PCI\VEN_1409&DEV_7168 %String2%=PCIMIOS […]
Show full quote

Hmm in the Win9x driver provided by PC Hoarder the .INF list these:
%String2%=PCIMIOSect,PCI\VEN_1409&DEV_7168
%String2%=PCIMIOSect,PCI\VEN_1409&DEV_7268
Theoretically it should work since it does list the same HW ID. Perhaps the card does not like your motherboard ? Or as in the FAQ's at www.exsys.com.tw you may have to do a second reboot after first installing the card..
Also it said you must flash the EEPROM before using v2.3+ drivers or maybe I misread that...
just thinking out loud 😉

No, my card shows PCI\VEN_10B5&DEV_9050&SUBSYS_4006D84D, it's a different string and the available drivers won't work. I've found half a dozen references to the drivers that I need in Exsys Italy, Germany, Taiwan and Switzerland, but the Archive failed to save the zip files. The EEPROM file only works for the PCB marked as «4006», my card is «4006-T». The card seems to work because it's detected correctly by Linux, but I need the DOS driver... 🙁

Reply 16 of 58, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ethaniel wrote on 2022-07-26, 21:51:
jakethompson1 wrote on 2022-07-26, 05:27:

No need, I have a pendrive with a live version of Bodhi Linux, the result of lspci -vv is in the image. What I don't understand is the two addresses. Which one is it? I'd believe it's a800 because of the «size=8» thing...

IMG_20220726_164601.jpg

In DOS, do DEBUG, then check output of:
i a800
i a801
i a807

and look for an interesting value (we're looking for the parallel port status register)
Probably best to do this without the Covox connected.

Reply 17 of 58, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorry I misread your first post, guess am getting too old to help figure these things out 🙁
Curious Which OS are you using ? It is not XP compatible AFAIK. Is it possible someone flashed the wrong EEPROM *.com to it ?
Can you run Uniflash and try to save it's eeprom to file and upload here so it can be looked at ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 18 of 58, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unfortunately it looks like these drivers for Sunix PCI IO devices I had from an old card also only contain the wrong ids. However it also looks like they're different from the ones that were posted before, so I'm attaching them anyway. Includes XP drivers...

Attachments

• Filename
    sunix.zip
    File size
    504.13 KiB
    Downloads
    49 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 19 of 58, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Oetker wrote on 2022-07-27, 06:10:

Unfortunately it looks like these drivers for Sunix PCI IO devices I had from an old card also only contain the wrong ids. However it also looks like they're different from the ones that were posted before, so I'm attaching them anyway. Includes XP drivers...

Thanks ! keeping for later refernece along with link to this topic.