VOGONS

Windows XP Build advice.

Topic actions

First post, by Hakeshu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello guys,

I just went through some old hardware that I had stored and thought about build a Win XP (x86) build.

Here's what I got at the moment:

Mobo - Asus P5B
Proc - Intel Q8200
Memory - 2x CM2X2048-6400C5
Hard Disk - WD740 Raptor 74GB - 10,000rpm
GPU - Nvidia GTX550TI 1GB
PSU - CX430

I'm going for gaming (2000-2006/8). Do you guys have any recomendations for bios/system configuration, driver versions or which Windows build should I go for?

I know that I lack a sound card atm, but I'm already scouting one.

Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 28, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

XP and the games of your targeted era deals better with 2 fast CPU cores than with 4 slower. Either OC the Q8200 or get an E8600.

You'll need a bigger hard drive than that WD Raptor. Late era games often install close to 10GB. You'll run out of storage fast. I'd say you'll need at least 250GB.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 2 of 28, by Hakeshu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-07-30, 06:30:

XP and the games of your targeted era deals better with 2 fast CPU cores than with 4 slower. Either OC the Q8200 or get an E8600.

You'll need a bigger hard drive than that WD Raptor. Late era games often install close to 10GB. You'll run out of storage fast. I'd say you'll need at least 250GB.

I'll at first assemble the machine and then will look for a better CPU/more HDD/Sound Card. for this mobo which CPU do you recomend?

Advices like these are much welcome.

Reply 3 of 28, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It seems it has no ussues supporting anything for the socket. For XP I'd recommend the highest clocked dual core (that is not a Pentium D):
https://www.asus.com/supportonly/P5B/HelpDesk_CPU/

Unless you want to dual boot a more modern OS. The GTX550 Ti can deal with a lot more than 2006/2008. It'll play well with anything except maxed out Crysis.

Reply 4 of 28, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-07-30, 06:42:

Unless you want to dual boot a more modern OS. The GTX550 Ti can deal with a lot more than 2006/2008. It'll play well with anything except maxed out Crysis.

I'm curious why you recommend GTX 550 Ti over something like 750 Ti? I guess 550 Ti is a bit more period correct if that's important, but 750 Ti is clearly faster while using half as much power. I don't think 550 Ti has much of an edge with driver flexibility either?

Reply 5 of 28, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sombrero wrote on 2022-07-30, 07:12:

I'm curious why you recommend GTX 550 Ti over something like 750 Ti? I guess 550 Ti is a bit more period correct if that's important, but 750 Ti is clearly faster while using half as much power. I don't think 550 Ti has much of an edge with driver flexibility either?

That's just what OP has. I'll back up the recommendation too. I'm running a comparable but older GTX 275 in my XP build and pushing it has actually been a challenge. Far Cry at 1600x1200 doesn't upset it. If you're starting from scratch and looking for peak performance though, a 750 Ti is a great option and I believe with modded drivers you can even run a 970.

Hakeshu wrote on 2022-07-30, 06:36:

Sound Card

X-Fi is the answer. Just do your homework and don't get one of the budget models like the Xtreme Audio that don't have all the hardware features (you need the EMU chip for EAX & CMSS).

Reply 6 of 28, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Pierre32 wrote on 2022-07-30, 07:30:
Sombrero wrote on 2022-07-30, 07:12:

That's just what OP has. I'll back up the recommendation too. I'm running a comparable but older GTX 275 in my XP build and pushing it has actually been a challenge. Far Cry at 1600x1200 doesn't upset it. If you're starting from scratch and looking for peak performance though, a 750 Ti is a great option and I believe with modded drivers you can even run a 970.

Oh, didn't notice. I've just noticed RandomStranger recommending 550 Ti elsewhere and also using one himself I believe, so I was just wondering is there some edge using one that I don't know about. Also pretty sure you can use 980 Ti with modded driver if one wants to go that route 😁

Reply 7 of 28, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Pierre32 wrote on 2022-07-30, 07:30:

If you're starting from scratch and looking for peak performance though, a 750 Ti is a great option

The best thing about that that it exists in low profile. That with an Ivy Bridge i3 can make very compact yet overpowered XP build.

Reply 8 of 28, by Hakeshu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you all for all the replies and advices. Tried to assemble the parts I had and no luck. My mobo must be busted, tried with 2 PSUs, 3 cards but no boot at all.

I'll now look for a new mobo, sound card and an E8600 CPU (I'm not into buy an i7, i5 just to run it with single core). GPU wise I guess that the 550TI will hold the fort.

Once again thanks for the information.

Reply 9 of 28, by Hakeshu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update: Found a working kit with a reasenable price. Talking with the seller atm

Asus P5B-Premium
E7500
4GB RAM Kingston 6400

Let's see if my XP build will arise anytime soon hahaha

PS: Prices here in Brazil for anything PC related are hella crazy atm.

Reply 10 of 28, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Hakeshu wrote on 2022-08-01, 02:56:
Update: Found a working kit with a reasenable price. Talking with the seller atm […]
Show full quote

Update: Found a working kit with a reasenable price. Talking with the seller atm

Asus P5B-Premium
E7500
4GB RAM Kingston 6400

Let's see if my XP build will arise anytime soon hahaha

PS: Prices here in Brazil for anything PC related are hella crazy atm.

Brasil also has that crazy tech tax IIRC making pretty much anything tech made outside of Brasil stupidly expensive.

Reply 11 of 28, by Hakeshu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-08-01, 05:09:

Brasil also has that crazy tech tax IIRC making pretty much anything tech made outside of Brasil stupidly expensive.

Yeah, that's why I try to get my stuff locally, but sometime you can't even find the parts you're looking for.

Reply 12 of 28, by Hakeshu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, it took some time, but I finally managed to get a nice kit.

Mobo: Maximum Formula with X-fi Sound Card
Processor: E8600
Memory: 2x CM2X2048-6400C5
Hard Disk - WD740 Raptor 74GB - 10,000rpm (waiting for the SSD)
PSU - CX430

I'm Pretty happy with the Machine. Time to enjoy some 2k awesomeness

Attachments

Reply 13 of 28, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just so you know, that X-Fi sound card isn't really a X-Fi at all, it's basically just a PCIe version of a integrated sound chip that has some software features of a real X-Fi without the hardware acceleration real X-Fi cards have.

How much that bothers you is of course up to you, you might be perfectly happy with it regardless.

Reply 14 of 28, by Hakeshu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sombrero wrote on 2022-09-21, 06:39:

Just so you know, that X-Fi sound card isn't really a X-Fi at all, it's basically just a PCIe version of a integrated sound chip that has some software features of a real X-Fi without the hardware acceleration real X-Fi cards have.

How much that bothers you is of course up to you, you might be perfectly happy with it regardless.

After all the tests I realized that the seller assembled the kit with a rampage X-fi and not the original for the Maximum Formula. I will keep the kit since the deal for all the parts was good, but I can't make the X-fi to work on the mobo 🙁

Now I need to get a sound card for the system

Reply 15 of 28, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Hakeshu wrote on 2022-09-22, 01:58:
Sombrero wrote on 2022-09-21, 06:39:

After all the tests I realized that the seller assembled the kit with a rampage X-fi and not the original for the Maximum Formula. I will keep the kit since the deal for all the parts was good, but I can't make the X-fi to work on the mobo 🙁

Now I need to get a sound card for the system

Sounds like an opportunity to get a real hardware based X-Fi card !

Reply 16 of 28, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just would not trust old CX430 psu. Those old corsair budget PSUs had quite bad reputation even when they were new. The ones that had CX with green letters on the side of the PSU had quite bad failures. The ones that had CX with black letters were fine.

Reply 17 of 28, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hakeshu wrote on 2022-09-21, 02:59:
Well, it took some time, but I finally managed to get a nice kit. […]
Show full quote

Well, it took some time, but I finally managed to get a nice kit.

Mobo: Maximum Formula with X-fi Sound Card
Processor: E8600
Memory: 2x CM2X2048-6400C5
Hard Disk - WD740 Raptor 74GB - 10,000rpm (waiting for the SSD)
PSU - CX430

I'm Pretty happy with the Machine. Time to enjoy some 2k awesomeness

Very similar to what I'm currently building. Yes, definitely get that X-Fi card you won't be disappointed.
What is the model number of that mobo? That thing is built like a tank!

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Asus V7700 GF2 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 18 of 28, by gmaverick2k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Baoran wrote on 2022-09-22, 06:15:

I just would not trust old CX430 psu. Those old corsair budget PSUs had quite bad reputation even when they were new. The ones that had CX with green letters on the side of the PSU had quite bad failures. The ones that had CX with black letters were fine.

I would wholeheartedly disagree with that statement. Check out jonnyguru's review for the cx430. Most of my builds have the cx series in them

"What's all this racket going on up here, son? You watchin' yer girl cartoons again?"

Reply 19 of 28, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gmaverick2k wrote on 2022-09-25, 08:37:
Baoran wrote on 2022-09-22, 06:15:

I would wholeheartedly disagree with that statement. Check out jonnyguru's review for the cx430. Most of my builds have the cx series in them

I guess our opinions just differ here. From my perspective it uses cheap caps and starts having really high ripple even at 250-300W load and during the time I have been fixing other peoples computers I have seen several cases where when it fails it takes out other parts in the computer when it does so. I would just not trust them personally.