VOGONS

First post, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looking for a quick testing unit for AT PSUs, I have the digital ones for ATX PSUs but cannot find one to suit the older AT connectors.

Is there such a thing ?
If so does anyone have a link to where I can buy one ?

I know I can use a Multimeter for this but my lazy lizard brain wants a faster safer method. (I dont like sticking shit into the angry pixie end of PSUs)

Reply 1 of 6, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-08-05, 10:30:
Looking for a quick testing unit for AT PSUs, I have the digital ones for ATX PSUs but cannot find one to suit the older AT conn […]
Show full quote

Looking for a quick testing unit for AT PSUs, I have the digital ones for ATX PSUs but cannot find one to suit the older AT connectors.

Is there such a thing ?

I know I can use a Multimeter for this but my lazy lizard brain wants a faster safer method. (I dont like sticking shit into the angry pixie end of PSUs)

Maybe someone here could build you one! - http://www.dasarodesigns.com/product/pc-at-ps … ly-load-tester/

Reply 2 of 6, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Looking for a quick testing unit for AT PSUs, I have the digital ones for ATX PSUs but cannot find one to suit the older AT conn […]
Show full quote

Is there such a thing ?

Adrian from Adrian's digital basement had a psu tester, but I can't say if it is common or cheap.
You plug in the mains to it and it tells values for each V.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 3 of 6, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If safer and just a little bit faster is enough, you could easily build an adapter with an AT connector in one end, and proper test points for the multimeter in the other.

Successfully used crimp-on wire terminals as test points a number of times. Connect the ring/spade/fork/whatever to the wire, multimeter probe goes into the uncrimped wire hole. 2.5 mm^2 (blue) works well with most probes 😀

Last edited by kaputnik on 2022-08-05, 11:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 6, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2022-08-05, 11:21:
Show full quote

Is there such a thing ?

Maybe someone here could build you one! - http://www.dasarodesigns.com/product/pc-at-ps … ly-load-tester/

I found a site that builds the adaptors to switch 20/24 modern ATX PSUs to the AT plug type, im thinking this might actually be a good way around using AT PSUs until I can either buy a tester or build one myself.

Reply 5 of 6, by timw4mail

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-08-05, 11:56:

I found a site that builds the adaptors to switch 20/24 modern ATX PSUs to the AT plug type, im thinking this might actually be a good way around using AT PSUs until I can either buy a tester or build one myself.

Yeah, that should generally work. The only potential issue is if you need -5V for one of your old cards. There are adapters to add that voltage, but you may not need it.

Reply 6 of 6, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
timw4mail wrote on 2022-08-05, 13:59:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-08-05, 11:56:

Yeah, that should generally work. The only potential issue is if you need -5V for one of your old cards. There are adapters to add that voltage, but you may not need it.

I have to grab one of them, cheers for reminding me !