VOGONS

First post, by Joosemachine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I was hoping someone might be able to help me locate a packet driver (for use with mTCP in DOS) for this network card. I plugged it into my win98 machine and it identified it as a SMC Ethercard Elite16 Ultra 8216t ISA (say that 10 times and stay fashionable!), which seems to be consistent with the sticker on the back of the card. I have been looking everywhere for about a week, and have found some drivers, but none seem to detect the card or work with it. The closest I got was an application called EZSTART from an .iso of SMC drivers which I found (maybe from archive.org?) which correctly detected the card etc, but when I went to the menu option to install the packet driver, it just pointed me to the SMC website (which obviously no longer exists), so I am stuck again.. Has anyone used this card in DOS or know where I can get a driver for it?

thanks in advance for any replies!

Attachments

Reply 1 of 6, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have similar card (combo with BNC and AUI connectors in addition to 8P8C for twisted pair ethernet) which is working fine in my 486DX33 rig.
I'm using this driver (in attachment).

Attachments

• Filename
    ether.exe
    File size
    1.16 MiB
    Downloads
    73 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 2 of 6, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got a bunch of Elite16 drivers archived here (along with a scan of the manual):
https://ftp.zx.net.nz/pub/drivers/SMC/Elite16/
There are two versions of ether.exe in there - one from 2000-07-14 which should be the latest, and one (in the 'old' subdirectory) from some time in 1996. Version 11.5 of the packet driver (gpk115.exe) dated 1996-06-22 is also there - probably ether.exe has a newer version.

SMC drivers seem to be relatively universal - they just have one driver that worked for all their cards which is what the ether.exe package contains. Though back when I was trying to network boot Windows 95 with an SMC card I had issues with some versions of the (ODI) driver and, IIRC, ended up downgrading to the older version.

Reply 3 of 6, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For what it's worth I successfully used a packet driver with a filename pkt8000.com with a slightly older SMC EtherCard Plus Elite 16C also with mTCP. You will probably find it in one of the files that others shared, but if not, I can provide it.

Reply 5 of 6, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PKT8000 11.60 is sure to work.

In case of problems, have a look at this topic - SMC (WD) StarCard PLUS (WD/8003S) Win3.1?

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.