VOGONS

First post, by Solo761

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are there some known issues with K6-2 CPUs and Voodoo 2 cards?

I can't get 3DMark 2000 to finish on it, always freezes with Voodoo 2 as 3D card on second high detail test (medieval city flythrough). Computer doesn't freeze up, I can alt+f4 out of it, but after that I can't get it to start again until I reboot.
I also tried Unreal and it also freezes after few minutes of castly flyby. I have to ctrl+alt+delete to kill it. I can restart it again, but it will freeze again after few minutes. No visual glitches, audio continues as normal, only video stops/freezes.

Configuration is
PCPartner VIB878DS motherboard
K6-2 500 MHz (same thing with 350 MHz variant)
256 MB SDRAM
ATI Rage Fury Pro 32 MB AGP video card
InnoVision Mighty 3DII Voodoo 2 8MB
ISA sound card
Realtek PCI LAN card
Via PCI SATA controller + 120 GB SSD

Win98, tried both Fastvoodoo 4.6 drivers and latest reference drivers. No difference.

I also tried it on P233 MMX, Lucky Star 5I-TX1 motherboard, 128 MB SDRAM, s3 Virge, ISA sound card, Realtek PCI LAN, VIA PCI SATA + 120 GB SSD, and no problem there. Finished 3DMark 2000 twice with Voodoo 2, Unreal looped for 30 minutes without freezing.

I tried measuring Voodoo 2 temps with IR thermometer and in both cases it went up to 47°C. I also tried swapping PCI slots but no change in behaviour.

Reply 1 of 8, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does it work with only the rage agp?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 2 of 8, by Solo761

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Haven't tried without Voodoo 2 connected, but if I select Rage for 3D card in 3DMark it completes successfully every time.

Haven't tried Unreal yet, I have to find patch which adds D3D to it. Version I have install of only has Software, S3 API and Glide.
I'll have to dig up Unreal collection BOX I have somewhere. Maybe it has some newer, updated, version on DVD. If it has Unreal and not only Unreal Tournament versions on it 🤔. It's been a long time since I used it last time so I don't remember what's on it 😅.

Reply 3 of 8, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

having recently done a bunch of voodoo 2 testing, the fastvoodoo driver clocks the cards to 93MHz, once I set them to the default 90MHz the crashes got a lot better (but not 100% gone) and a card that wouldn't work at all before suddenly played fine in SLI

edit: nvm, sorry I missed that you also tried the reference drivers... maybe the OC somehow persisted though?

Reply 4 of 8, by Solo761

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Could be, I first installed fastvoodoo driver and maybe it leaves something in the registry... or reference drivers don't overwrite it. Although I used same fastvoodoo drivers on P233 configuration and it worked fine.

I'll try setting the clock back to 90 and see what happens. When I figure out how to do it 😅. I checked card properties in device manager and display settings and haven't noticed it. 🤔

Reply 5 of 8, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

posted this in another thread recently ^^ Re: Voodoo 2 Orchid Righteous 3D fastvoodoo 4.6 drivers

imi wrote on 2022-08-13, 14:11:

where you installed the FastVoodoo driver, under ...\Tools\Tweaker\V2_OC
after you run it you should have the panel in the display properties

Reply 8 of 8, by Solo761

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Results are a bit mixed 😅, reduced OC from 93 to default 90.

Unreal castle flyby now doesn't freeze, card even gets a bit hotter than before at 51°C vs 48°C from before (I guess because it froze before it had the chance).
But 3DMark2000 still freezes at same spot. First time I tried it even managed to complete, second run it froze. I also tried 3DMark99, it also freezes, but instead at FPS like test. And it freezes worse than 2k version, computer completely locks up and I have to hard reset it. I also did this before, so this is not a new development. I forgot to mention that it happens also in version 99.

I'm even thinking of putting it in my Athlon XP machine just to see if it'll also happen.