VOGONS

First post, by mikeyp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have built 5 of these lovely ethernet cards for my XT and plan to sell 4 once they're working. I have run into an issue however where none will initialise properly. As you will see from the images below, all claim to have programmed correctly, but all present the identical issue of not initialising and reporting their mac address.

4k4u5Bzo_o.jpeg

Am I being thick and doing something wrong here?

I have checked every pin for shorts and find it hard to believe I have made the same mistake on every card causing an identical issue. Surely it's software?

For reference, this is the card I have built:
https://github.com/skiselev/isa8_eth/tree/mai … software/driver
and this is the driver I'm using:
https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?threads/ne2 … it-slots.41507/

Programming the 5 cards:
f7ZFURtw_o.jpeg
DDiBpsUe_o.jpeg
rIywpfPT_o.jpeg
SjPrwmqS_o.jpeg
lgVdrW2V_o.jpeg

2 example images of the issue on different cards and versions of DOS:
OLP2CHfb_o.jpeg
4QdMtVof_o.jpeg

Reply 1 of 8, by mikeyp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok. I have answered my own question: Don't try these things when you're tired late at night.

Come this morning, I tried setting the switches. It seems simply turning on the first switch (SW1.1) to enable the switches made it work. I have tried IRQ 2 and 3 and I/O address 0x300 and 0x320. All work. As soon as I revert to "jumperless config" it won't work. I'm guessing I just don't know what the "jumperless" configuration defaults to. Anyway, it's working. Thank you for looking. Hope this helps someone else. 😀

jNf8tFoy_o.jpeg
CHQYGmBU_o.jpeg
KjPCWoem_o.jpeg

Reply 2 of 8, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

the switchless config is whatever values are declared in 8019AS.CFG
PG8019 also writes these defaults , not only MAC address
if you wish to change them just use RSET8019 (it programs the selected values in the eeprom) or edit 8019AS.CFG with the desired defaults

on my cards I use the realtek 8019 specific packet driver called PNPPD.COM , seems like a better option than a generic NE2000 driver
you can download it here

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 8, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote on 2022-08-20, 09:40:

on my cards I use the realtek 8019 specific packet driver called PNPPD.COM , seems like a better option than a generic NE2000 driver
you can download it here

Is this for 8-bit slots or does it work at full 16-bit as well?

Reply 5 of 8, by mikeyp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2022-08-20, 11:07:

They're 8-bit slot cards for 5150/60/55/compatibles, 5155 in particular due to size but should work in a 16-bit slot. Obviously if you're looking for a 16-bit isa card it would be cheaper to buy an existing one.

I'm looking to sell the other 4 for $40 + P&P which should be the same as the original designer is selling them for:
https://www.tindie.com/products/weird/isa-8-b … net-controller/

Reply 6 of 8, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mikeyp wrote on 2022-08-20, 11:17:
They're 8-bit slot cards for 5150/60/55/compatibles, 5155 in particular due to size but should work in a 16-bit slot. Obviously […]
Show full quote

They're 8-bit slot cards for 5150/60/55/compatibles, 5155 in particular due to size but should work in a 16-bit slot. Obviously if you're looking for a 16-bit isa card it would be cheaper to buy an existing one.

I'm looking to sell the other 4 for $40 + P&P which should be the same as the original designer is selling them for:
https://www.tindie.com/products/weird/isa-8-b … net-controller/

I'm asking specifically about keropis packet driver here

Reply 7 of 8, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

you mean the packet driver?
it works in both 8/16bit mode , the bus width is handled internally in the 8019 - the driver just works in both cases
I just *assume* a manufacturer packet driver will be better than the generic NE2000 one - I have no real evidence or benchmarks though as I only ever used the realtek packet driver...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website