VOGONS

First post, by Tsefs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

First post here! I found an old Toshiba Tecra 510CDT, and it appears to be working mostly fine! It even contains the original 2.1GB harddisk! I opened it up after noticing some issues with the keyboard, and found two NiMH batteries with a decent amount of corrosion (enough to make the connector come off the board). After removing the corrosion and broken connectors, the laptop appeared to work perfectly fine! So now I'm on a journey to bring the laptop back to it's original glory.

(Please ignore the missing front pad, I still have to re-mount it after repairs)
IMG20220821194128.jpg

I searched online on some info regarding the two NiMH batteries that I found, but couldn't find that much unfortunately. So I was hoping maybe someone on this forum knows more about this specific laptop, and could hopefully tell me a bit more about them. There's one 7.2v 30mAh NiMH, and one 3.6v 30mAh NIMH. I assume one of them is the CMOS battery, but not sure which one. Are they both required, or just one of them? And does someone know which board connector is used? I hope to resolder a new connector to the motherboard, as the traces are still fine, just the connector corroded off the motherboard. The connectors look a bit like a Molex 2-pin and 3-pin PicoBlade connector, but I'm pretty sure that that can't be it.
IMG20220821194012.jpg

Hope to learn a bit more about this laptop, thanks in advance!

Last edited by Tsefs on 2022-08-21, 18:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 3, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One is for the Bios and one is for hibernation mode to keep RAM power. They all leak. I have two Toshibas from the same time and all batteries have leaked.
If you are ok with setting the bios once you have plugged it in and dont use hibernation mode on battery i would not replace the batteries and leave them out completely.

There are reproduction batteries for both types but they are difficult to get and expensive.
I looked them up recently and decided just to leave them out.

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 2 of 3, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These are my batteries
In my case :
3/v30H (3 cells/30mAh) for bios
6/v110H (6 cells / 110mAh) for hibernation.
When you google these types (on your batteries) you will find some replacements.

Attachments

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 3 of 3, by Tsefs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great, thanks for the quick and great replies! Just found out that the connectors are indeed Molex PicoBlade SMD top entry 2-pin and 3-pin connectors, costing about 30 cent each, so I will restore them. I will replace the 3.6 volt NiMH battery as well for some proper timekeeping, but will leave out the 7.2v battery for hibernation as it adds little to no value for me.