ne2k.jpg
Filename
ne2k.jpg
File size
433.4 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I want to reconfigure it, so I need a chip-specific utility... but what's the main chip?
No, I'm not going to remove the sticker 😜

As of yet, I know the following:

MAC address begins with 00:40:33, which means "Addtron Technology Co., Ltd."
HWiNFO finds it as NE2000 compatible
Windows 95 OSR2 finds it as NE2000 compatible
works fine with mTCP using Crynwr's NE2000 packet driver
doesn't work with EZ2000.EXE for D-Link(?) EZ-2000+
doesn't work with RSET8019.EXE for Realtek RTL8019
doesn't work with SETUP.EXE for Viglen Ethergen PnP 2000A, based on UK0023A
doesn't work with SETUP.EXE for Micronet SP2020, based on UK0023
doesn't work with INSTALL.EXE for UMC UM9008
doesn't work with 1STEP.EXE for Accton EN165x

Any other ideas?

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 2 of 24, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

🤣 yeah probably Realtek chip but he said RSET8019 did not work, and NOT peeling back the sticker to see if there are markings is just plain dumb IMHO.
The Addtron archive has drivers still DL able, and it looks nearly same as the AE-200PNP (minus the jumper and the twisted pair socket/ic) but not be or the RSET would work.
It could be a Addtron AN-16CT (BNC). You could try the attached driver disk, is for the AN-16 series...

Attachments

• Filename
    an16.zip
    File size
    435.74 KiB
    Downloads
    44 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 24, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I recall these things were sold under the "Target" brand in NL around the turn of the millennium. That doesn't help much as Target just bought up big lots of stuff in Taipei/Shenzhen and put them in their boxes.

However, take a look here:
https://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fil … 778&menustate=0

That looks suspiciously like your card:
pn-16ct_driver_disk.img.jpg

I found it by googling "Addtron ISA BNC", which brought up Addtron AN-16C in TH'99 that looked similar. Then googling "AN-16C DOS" gave me that Vogonsdrivers link.

Reply 4 of 24, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are there various Realtek chips for ISA ?
All I have found on their website is for RTL8019AS, which doesn't work.

SETUP.EXE for AN-16 doesn't work correctly, either.
It does run, and offers to change the config, but doesn't actually change anything, and it fails in the TEST option.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 5 of 24, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote on 2022-08-23, 23:59:
I recall these things were sold under the "Target" brand in NL around the turn of the millennium. That doesn't help much as Targ […]
Show full quote

I recall these things were sold under the "Target" brand in NL around the turn of the millennium. That doesn't help much as Target just bought up big lots of stuff in Taipei/Shenzhen and put them in their boxes.

However, take a look here:
https://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fil … 778&menustate=0

That looks suspiciously like your card:
pn-16ct_driver_disk.img.jpg

I found it by googling "Addtron ISA BNC", which brought up Addtron AN-16C in TH'99 that looked similar. Then googling "AN-16C DOS" gave me that Vogonsdrivers link.

Good find ! Could not find a good picture to compare...guess I should have look in our library. 😒 Not sure why AN would relate to PN but great work !
Here is the May 1996 version from web archives. (I saved lots old Addtron drivers in my archive but no pictures were available).
If Gerwin's or mine does not work then you need to peel the label 🤣

Attachments

• Filename
    pn16.zip
    File size
    388.48 KiB
    Downloads
    55 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 6 of 24, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote on 2022-08-23, 23:59:

YES!
It runs with NetWare... and with SETUP.EXE for PN-16 🤣
I've just successfully changed the IRQ, and it passed all tests.
Thanks!

Still wondering what that chip might be... some Addtron's own thing?

Reply 7 of 24, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Great ! Maybe but most likely NEC or some odd Realtek from what little I know.
I do remember peeling some stickers off the main chips of older ISA NIC's years ago and only seeing a light NE2000 stamped on them, not much help 😁

Reply 8 of 24, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2022-08-24, 00:15:

Here is the May 1996 version from web archives. (I saved lots old Addtron drivers in my archive but no pictures were available).

Yes, this also works, and it's newer...

Reply 9 of 24, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

pn16.zip -> SETUP.EXE :

4. LoopBack TEST Throught DP8390 NIC ......UNKNOWN 5. LoopBack TEST Throught DP8390 SNI ......UNKNOWN 6. LoopBack TEST Throught DP8390 CTI ......UNKNOWN 7. LoopBack TEST Throught DP8390 NIC/CRC ..UNKNOWN 8. LoopBack TEST Throught DP8390 SNI/CRC ..UNKNOWN 9. LoopBack TEST Throught DP8390 CTI/CRC ..UNKNOWN

Chips like Realtek RTL8019AS and RTL8029AS are a reimplementation (with few improvements like bigger buffers and native mode addons like full duplex, sleep mode, PnP, auto polarity) of National Semiconductor DP8390 which in turn was the basis for Novell NetWare NE1000/NE2000 standard. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NE1000

Taiwan was already a powerhouse of semi manufacturing in late eighties. Plenty of small outfits manufactured not only products, but also ASICs. Realtek was not the only OEM with ethernet chip. More examples: KYE Systems Corp K1306023 used in Genius cards, Winbond w89c906f.

We can be sure its not Realtek because RTL cards integrate fifo buffers on the die. Yours has external 32K SRAM chip. Winbond w89c906f also requires external SRAM and was often bundled with 32KB. You can try https://archive.org/details/genericne2000 to confirm.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 10 of 24, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-08-24, 05:21:

WinImage Self Extractor, which fails to work for me - "Disk error...", even though the diskette normally formats without any bad sectors.
Any idea how to extract that stuff without using that stupid Self Extractor?

Reply 11 of 24, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

no clue, I gave up when 7zip failed to extract it 😀
this has documentation, drivers and some tools ftp://ftp.brain.it/public/Old_Driver/Driver%2 … 20NE2000%20ISA/

SETETH /S should report if its winbond

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 13 of 24, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nevermind - that image is 720 KB, after covering the density hole it extracted.
Anyway, SETUP.EXE for EN-2420P displays "There is no LAN Board found on your system..."

Reply 14 of 24, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2022-08-24, 16:27:

Windows95 should auto detect this card and then you can look up what driver it is using.

things didnt work like that pre ISA PNP/PCI

Reply 15 of 24, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-08-24, 16:09:

this has documentation, drivers and some tools ftp://ftp.brain.it/public/Old_Driver/Driver%2 … 20NE2000%20ISA/

W906DM.EXE displays "W89C906 fail initialization routine."

SETETH.COM displays "Lan Chip : UM9003 chip !"

Mystery solved?
Surprising, though - I've got a few UM9003F and UM9003AF cards, and they are all jumper-configured.
UM9008F is software-configured.

Reply 17 of 24, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think this might be the setup for that card.

edit: or maybe not..., might as well try both

Attachments

• Filename
    ul0020.zip
    File size
    98.6 KiB
    Downloads
    40 downloads
    File comment
    UL0020 network interface card setup
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    uk0001.zip
    File size
    54.66 KiB
    Downloads
    37 downloads
    File comment
    UK0001 network interface card setup
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 18 of 24, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Grzyb wrote on 2022-08-24, 17:02:

SETETH.COM displays "Lan Chip : UM9003 chip !"

nice, didnt expect SETETH to be that versatile. UMC is of course another Taiwanese ASIC powerhouse.

Reply 19 of 24, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
weedeewee wrote on 2022-08-24, 17:54:

I think this might be the setup for that card.
edit: or maybe not..., might as well try both

Both display the same: "No adapter seems to be present."