VOGONS

First post, by idan182

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all
I have 2 WD HD (not really vintage) one from 2013 and one from 2009.
There is rust on the back board. they both work fine.
The computer case is always closed but working 24/7.
I live in a humidity area (70%)

Is it a defect in those specific WD drives or am I going to notice that on my vintage computers also?
I haven't seen rust on any other hardware I have, but I rarely turn on my vintage gear. only once 2 months.

Attachments

Reply 2 of 5, by DAVE86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Those exposed copper contacts are prone to oxidisation. You can get it off with a mild-hard eraser (for pencils or pens). What migth cause faliure on that pcb is if the interface, headstack and motor contacts get corroded.
Most pre 2000 era drives with more gold coated contacts might be okay. The copper and nichrome stuff are going to "rust" due to humidity, air pollution, chemicals, etc.

Reply 3 of 5, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I see this a lot on modern HDDs, they seem to use silver coating or something and it tarnishes like that and drive stops working at some point. I have used pencil eraser to revive many drives, once contacts are shiny again things work again until next time in future...

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 5 of 5, by DAVE86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Visable on most test points, J2 (Jtag for factory burn in), non-masked vias and screw holes. Looks like damaged around E3 - E12 as it got uner the solder mask. These pcb-s are made to order. WD, Seagate, Hitachi, Toshiba don't make these in house. They all use 3-4 vendors, even in the same family drive, depending on site code and date. It can be considered a quality issue. These consumer electronic stuff would cost 5- 10 cent extra/ unit assembled just so the pcb tracks and pads be more durable.

Like ThrashPanda said if you have salts in the air the chemical reactions can be even more severe.
Just use a pencil eraser on the contacts and store them drives in esd bags with silica desiccant.