VOGONS

First post, by ApostolCV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello guys!
Some time before i desided to pulled out of the closet an old dead 286 mobo to try give it a live.
It has 80286 CPU onboard with stret marking of frequency. Sticker on the board says it's 16 MHz. Looks like unofficial overclocking straight from the factory.
It's like other old mobo was corrupted by Ni-Cd battery.
Unfortunately i can't find any manual for it in the net.
There's only one markings on it 8502F.
Also extended exploration showed that chipset M1207-16 A3 is maded by Acer. Depend on that I tend to think mobo is also from Acer.
After some works with multimeter and a soldering iron i restore +5,+12,-12 and one other rails that goes down , near ISA slots.
I'm not sure about the integrity of the original BIOS but I saved it just in case.
I flashed it with other bios for 286 mobo and same chipset but get nothing.
Maybe i miss something. Any good ideas are welcome. Maybe some manual or photo or boardlist😄.
With kind regards, ApostolCV.

Attachments

Reply 2 of 8, by ApostolCV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2022-09-08, 13:58:

The lack of solder in the through holes for osc3 is a bit sus. Wonder if there needs to be an oscillator there?

I found photos at France ebay lot with looks the same mobo. There is no oscillator.

Attachments

Reply 3 of 8, by Romain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's one of pain with battery corrosion.

If the board has been turned on without having been repaired first, then it's possible that the corrosion has caused a short circuit somewhere, which is totally invisible to the naked eye.
Any component may have burned out...
And that's another pain is that in the standard AT format, the general power supply tracks are right next to the worst corroded spots.
I have already had the cases a few times where the seller had naively turned on their PC for test, and sold for part "Does not start". But fact actually grilled component(s).

Keep this card anyway if one day you have a lot of time to spend on it.

Edit: ho I remember something on one of my previous restoration - check if you have a jumper selection for RAM bank, like to select 2 banks or 4 banks are taken. And check the NPU jumper too : because maybe it was here but now no.

Reply 4 of 8, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

does the bios generate post codes? no post code at all would mean CPU doesnt even try to run bios code
would start with clocks and supply voltage to all the chips

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 5 of 8, by ApostolCV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-09-09, 00:28:

does the bios generate post codes? no post code at all would mean CPU doesnt even try to run bios code
would start with clocks and supply voltage to all the chips

There are no post codes at all((

Reply 6 of 8, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The battery corrosion / damage is minimal here so I doubt it´s the reason. It has also been cleaned and taken care of sufficiently.
Maybe you should desolder the keyboard connector to make sure there´s no damage underneath.

Then I would check all pins of U21 and U23 very carefully for stability of the solderings.
A single loosened pin can prevent the board from starting.

Reply 7 of 8, by ApostolCV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
majestyk wrote on 2022-09-28, 05:57:
The battery corrosion / damage is minimal here so I doubt it´s the reason. It has also been cleaned and taken care of sufficient […]
Show full quote

The battery corrosion / damage is minimal here so I doubt it´s the reason. It has also been cleaned and taken care of sufficiently.
Maybe you should desolder the keyboard connector to make sure there´s no damage underneath.

Then I would check all pins of U21 and U23 very carefully for stability of the solderings.
A single loosened pin can prevent the board from starting.

I refresh soldering for chipset. Remove old cpu and put other. Of course it gave nothing.🙁
You can see my qualification in soldering 😆

Attachments

• IMG_20220928_140503.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20220928_140503.jpg
    File size
    878.27 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 8, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah - that´s why the solderings look so shiny 😉
What about U24? Does it have to be populated only when onboard RAM-chips are present at BANK0?
Have you tried non-parity or "smaller" SIMMs?

At the moment you´re using 4 sticks 1MB+parity each in BANK1= 4MB, right?