VOGONS

First post, by JSO

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Greetings,

is there any way to mod AMi bios of an old motherboard, such as Tyan 1846s Tsunami?

I bought a Tulip Vision Line ΧD 6/350, that has this motherboard, TP90, but it's bios is Tulip branded, so to be able to modify the original latest bios that supports bigger HDDs, to add Tulip branded strings.

Is there a possible way to do it?

Using a hex editor to the Tulip branded TP90 bios for the board I found the Tulip branding text and model specs, but aren't on the same lines of the unbranded Tyan bios.

DOS IS THE POWER OF OUR CHILDHOOD MEMORIES!

Reply 1 of 2, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think it's possible. Although there are restrictions and rules.
For example, a bios image is protected by a checksum. The modules can be also protected with their own checksum. So editing using HEX editor only may cause a checksum error.
AMI branded utilities are AMIBCP and MMTool. I don't know which version will work for your bios image.
There're some utils here.
BTW it's better to have a hardware programmer and a flash memory placed in a socket if something goes a wrong way.

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 2 of 2, by JSO

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok thank's I found the programs, earlier DOS versions that working with 256k AMi bios, but the unbranded bios hasn't entry to put Tulip Computers logo, only the name on the string.

Anyway, the Tulip branded bios has the windows based AMI bios, strange I never saw it on non 486 class motherboards.

DOS IS THE POWER OF OUR CHILDHOOD MEMORIES!