VOGONS

First post, by gilly76

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

All,
Just picked up a gateway 2000 Family PC (Pentium 75) locally ($25, 🤣). The HDDs were both clicking when testing, so I decided to do the CF to IDE HDD (which worked fine on my Toshiba 440CDT laptop). I formatted one card to 2GB and installed MSDos and Win3.11 and everything is working fine. I wanted to have a second CF card with Win95 on it.

The issue is that the Gateway will only partition the drives to 504mb, nothing higher. For DOS, I set it up on the Toshiba and just moved the card over. For Win95, I tried fully installing it on the Toshiba (Disk I/O error) and then installing up to the "restart to finish" part. I also tried partitioning the CF at 32 gb, 16gb, and 8gb and none seem to work (using OCR2.5, which should support up to 32 gb).

Any ideas on what I can do to get Win95 to work with larger than 2GB (or 504 mb)? I used IDEINFO to make sure the Bios settings were right on the Gateway (BIS 1.00.11.BSOT).

Perhaps I should just keep MSDOS and WFW3.11 on it since i'm really looking to just play older DOS games and Win95 isn't really needed (just a fun to have at this point).

Reply 1 of 8, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try partitioning and formatting the card on a modern PC and get DOS booting on it. Just the system files so you can boot, you don't need a full installation.

Then copy the Win95 installation files to a directory on the CF card. You can boot off the CF into DOS and then launch the Win95 installer. That's how I installed Win98, and it made things so much easier as I was testing odd combinations of hardware and drivers and needed to do multiple reinstalls. That lets me easily mount the drive on a modern PC, delete the directories Windows creates (C:\Windows, Documents and Settings, etc), and run the installer again.

Reply 2 of 8, by gilly76

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, this computer just does not want to play with CF drives it seems (keeps trying to make 504mb partitions, the laptop easily works with DOS 7.x at larger partitions, but I keep getting Disk I/O errors when placed in the desktop. I'll just keep the 2GB drive with MSDOS. Maybe i'll look at getting a physical HD in the future for Win95.

Reply 4 of 8, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ya, it's likely a limitation of that BIOS, you aren't able to partition and format the card in the laptop with Win95 media?

I haven't done it, but don't some people use a network card with an XT IDE bios chip to override limited HDD support on old BIOSes?

But functionally Win95 will run on a P75, but you won't be doing heavy gaming. You could mess around with Win3.1 and the later extensions MS released for it to be a taste of that early Windows gaming when it started being more advanced than Solitare and Mine Sweeper.

The best thing about using CF/SD on a retro PC is you can easily swap cards and try out different things while keeping a card with a working config to fall back to when you just feel like playing something rather than tinkering.

Reply 5 of 8, by gilly76

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You're right, P75 wouldn't make Win95 run great, and at this point, I'm happy with 2gb on Win3.11 and Dos6.22. It's been years since I played in the early 95 era, I can't think of many games where I NEED it, especially at P75.

Thanks All

Reply 6 of 8, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Old hard drives making weird clicking sounds do not necessarily have to be bad. I have a couple of IBM hard drives which have many jumper settings. I couldn't get them to work at first despite trying options printed on the hard drives. Using wrong jumper settings seemed to have damaged partitions. I was ready to throw them out but eventually found jumper settings that would at least print text in local language on boot. That looked suspicious so I booted from free DOS and formatted them. They all worked fine afterwards.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 8 of 8, by gilly76

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Slight update, purchased a Promise Ultra66 and the computer recognizes the larger CF/SD card. Was able to format and install Win95 on a 32GB SD card. I'll just install that or the CF depending on the mood of the day.

I did get a warning that I used a 40-wire IDE cable and not an 80-wire, so I can't run at 66, so I purchased an 80-wire cable. What's weird is that 32 GB drive boots to Win95 fine with that warning, the 2gb CF won't boot unless it's plugged directly into the onboard IDE connector (again, not a big deal since I can just put the CF for MSDOS or SD for Win95