VOGONS

First post, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Edit: added last word to title to make a little clearer

Title says all.
I always wondered if those kinds could host the number of hours of duty like a laser printer or an IDE drive.
I'm mostly interested in Zip and Jaz as they are more common.

Curiosity made me ask.

Any reply is welcome.

Edit 2:
Partial list of the many drives and technologies:

Iomega:
Bernouilli https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli_Box
Zip https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zip_drive
Jaz https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaz_drive
Rev https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REV_(disk)

Orb:
Castlewood Orb Drive

Syquest: (so many)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SyQuest_Technology

Matsushita LS-120:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SuperDisk

Last edited by Nexxen on 2022-09-11, 12:20. Edited 2 times in total.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 1 of 15, by DAVE86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Zip and Jaz drives may accumulate contamination on the head sliders over time. They are in direct contact with the data carrier during operation. Bernoulli should be more durable since it doesn't come in contact with the media during operation (There are some exceptions due to the loading mechanism).
The controller electronics might rarely suffer from leaky electrolytic, rotting capacitors.
In my experience, mostly Syquest drives, 44MB, 88MB units were dying on us all the time. Head crashes, faulty electronics. Zip and Jazz maybe 1 out of 50. Even the "cheap" usb ones work to this day.

Reply 2 of 15, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DAVE86 wrote on 2022-09-10, 08:38:

Zip and Jaz drives may accumulate contamination on the head sliders over time. They are in direct contact with the data carrier during operation. Bernoulli should be more durable since it doesn't come in contact with the media during operation (There are some exceptions due to the loading mechanism).
The controller electronics might rarely suffer from leaky electrolytic, rotting capacitors.
In my experience, mostly Syquest drives, 44MB, 88MB units were dying on us all the time. Head crashes, faulty electronics. Zip and Jazz maybe 1 out of 50. Even the "cheap" usb ones work to this day.

Do you know if they have an uptime counter?

All those old systems are interesting. Also LS-120, Orb... non standard that didn't make past CDs.
Thankfully there are many interesting videos on YT.

Signs of malfunction of the drive that you can see on the medium? Like scratches?

Reply 4 of 15, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you can buy a bunch of these kinds of drives and disks for pennies from some old stock, then they could be "quick" use media for moving things around. I have used Zip and Jaz back and the day, and they had their issues. And if any have survived to today, I wouldn't trust it with important stuff. I'm sure they've had some use by this point, so I'd assume kind of on their last legs on working. I've looked to see what they cost on the net, and I just couldn't bring myself to buy any for what people price things for.

Reply 6 of 15, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not looking to find a way to predict the remaining life of those systems.
Just to know if there is a built-in time counter.

I'm never going to put critical data on such mediums. We have encrypted servers and data encryption at its finest, not mentioning the ridiculous low cost of SD cards (just to mention the most used).

As far as I know Zip and Jaz don't have such counters, at least not that the software suite allows to check.
Zip has a relocation area for bad tracks, that made me think that maybe there is data stored that wasn't available with stock software.
If this, why not other and older systems?

Reply 7 of 15, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2022-09-10, 21:47:

They have zero hours of duty. Those are vintage storage systems which may fail any given moment and as such have to be treated as museum exhibits.

Many disks I checked had bad tracks or were in bad shape.
A new, still wrapped, disk had a few bad tracks 😀

Not really a super fan with all the alternatives we now have.

Reply 8 of 15, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nexxen wrote on 2022-09-11, 08:25:

Look for storage solutions of better quality. There is no sense in using obsolete from all points of view hardware for serious purposes.

Reply 9 of 15, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2022-09-11, 08:54:

Look for storage solutions of better quality. There is no sense in using obsolete from all points of view hardware for serious purposes.

That is not the point.

My question is if there is a way to know if there is stored data on some ROM on the drive to tell how much time it has been powered on.
If any of those many drives had one, like a SMART for IDE drives.

My answer was that I, in fact, don't trust such storage systems for critical data storage, as we have better alternatives.
Come on, I'm not that crazy! 😀

Reply 10 of 15, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nexxen wrote on 2022-09-11, 09:34:
That is not the point. […]
Show full quote

That is not the point.

My question is if there is a way to know if there is stored data on some ROM on the drive to tell how much time it has been powered on.

My answer was that I, in fact, don't trust such storage systems for critical data storage, as we have better alternatives.

Well, it's hard to answer your question correctly since you change it after the answer was already given. 🙂

Reply 11 of 15, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2022-09-11, 13:08:
Nexxen wrote on 2022-09-11, 09:34:
That is not the point. […]
Show full quote

That is not the point.

Well, it's hard to answer your question correctly since you change it after the answer was already given. 🙂

I'm not talking about the supports, but the drive itself. I wrote at the beginning of then post 1.
I'm not changing anything, it's the same question all along.

You have IDE drives with SMART? You check uptime.

Is there any way to check this on the many I added in post 1? Through a tool? Eye?
I am curious to know.

Reply 12 of 15, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There may be code in the drivers that work with SMART, but I honestly don't know. Perhaps there's something on the Linux side that would shed some light on whether that function was put into the drivers.

Reply 13 of 15, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use this to test zip disks, but doesn't say uptime, just actual condition of drive and disk.
https://www.grc.com/tip/clickdeath.htm

Reply 14 of 15, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

To answer the question
" Zip, Jaz, Bernouilli and other similar storage systems - can you determine how many hours of duty do they have already? "
to the best of my knowledge.

No.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 15 of 15, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
weedeewee wrote on 2022-09-11, 14:31:
To answer the question " Zip, Jaz, Bernouilli and other similar storage systems - can you determine how many hours of duty do t […]
Show full quote

To answer the question
" Zip, Jaz, Bernouilli and other similar storage systems - can you determine how many hours of duty do they have already? "
to the best of my knowledge.

No.

It's starting to be my answer too. In order to have that data you must put diagnostic code, a place to store it and software to access it. Too much trouble.

Writing some software to perform an integrity check of the inserted support has been done, but apart from the state the support or the drive are at that precise moment,
probably nothing was implemented.

At least I went through an interesting journey in retro storage 😀