VOGONS

First post, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got one of these but it came without the power cable, as shown in the photo and manual below, connecting to the card at the red circle. I'm not yet in a position to start the build as I'm missing some parts (more importantly a case too), but I'd like to know if the MPC-like end is the same as the PSU cables that would power a floppy drive, so I could just use one of those if it reaches the card in a classic ATX case.

Or could somebody please tell me which terms to search for a cable, is the ad below on Ebay an example of something adequate for the job? I've searched MPC-molex cable but with no success. Many thanks as always

Attachments

Reply 1 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes it appears to be a standard 4 pin Molex/peripheral to 4 pin floppy adapter. They were very common from 1990's thru late 2000's.
Too bad the picture ScreenHunter_01 Sep. 12 04.09.jpg is so poor but from what I can see any standard cable should work and appears same as the many I have for connecting a 3.5" floppy dive to Molex PSU connector....
added: "4 pin molex to floppy power connector" is a good search terminology...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 9, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2022-09-12, 04:07:

Yes it appears to be a standard 4 pin Molex/peripheral to 4 pin floppy adapter. They were very common from 1990's thru late 2000's.
Too bad the picture ScreenHunter_01 Sep. 12 04.09.jpg is so poor but from what I can see any standard cable should work and appears same as the many I have for connecting a 3.5" floppy dive to Molex PSU connector....
added: "4 pin molex to floppy power connector" is a good search terminology...

The bad quality capture is from a low res pic in an old online magazine review, sorry. Your terminology led me to the apparently exact same cable as the low res pic, even if it works with the PSU floppy power connector I'll give it a shot with the cable. Thank you!

Reply 3 of 9, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It´s really 4-pin floppy power connector, better pictures you have here:

Attachments

• aud.jpg
    Filename
    aud.jpg
    File size
    260.73 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • aud1.jpg
    Filename
    aud1.jpg
    File size
    239.27 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 5 of 9, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The additional power supply is probably for the front panel unit (firewire and stuff). There´s also another onboard FW-connector.

The +12V rating of the PCI-slot standard is probably not sufficient.

Reply 6 of 9, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ydee wrote on 2022-09-12, 16:05:

It´s really 4-pin floppy power connector, better pictures you have here:

Thanks for the clarirification, I'll just go with the cable in case the PSU's floppy connector doesn't reach the card

Reply 7 of 9, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jura Tastatura wrote on 2022-09-12, 16:08:

WTF? You have to plug power into Audigy? Didn't know that. Also, don't own one. I do own X-Fi but not sure about plugging power connector to it...

I never used the power connector on that particular model and had no problems doing regular soundcard activities.

Reply 8 of 9, by Matchstick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
majestyk wrote on 2022-09-12, 16:28:

The additional power supply is probably for the front panel unit (firewire and stuff). There´s also another onboard FW-connector.

The +12V rating of the PCI-slot standard is probably not sufficient.

Actually it's to power the External unit (the one in pic is an external)... this version is not a front panel 5.25 type, but an external box that sits next to your PC